Cleaning Beer Lines Without a Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nacnud

Reaction score
Yesterday I put together a disconnect-picnic tap setup for filling bottles from a keg so that I can take a few to a mates place or whatever without the hassle of a counter-pressure filler. Seems to work well but now I have a dirty beer line and no empty kegs to push cleaner/steriliser through it. Does anyone know of an easy way to clean a beer line and tap without a keg and without pulling it apart? I don't want to waste 2 hose clamps every time I need to clean it!

Cheers.

I have a PET bottle but no carbonating cap. How would that work?

In the meantime just chuck the line in the kegerator until you get a carbonation cap or a keg becomes free.

I like many others on this forum have made one of these... no gas required and easy to make.
Uses a beer post so can also be used for cleaning the keg beer outlet.

2013-09-25 13.12.30.jpg

Unscrew the pin from the disconnect and spray/pour sanitiser or whatever you're using down the line with the tap open so it flows through. Be careful when you re-assemble the disconnect so you don't mangle the o-ring.

I did a quick google image search and found this - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/265290234275861228/ for a diagram to explain what I mean i.e. remove the QD Closure Plug as labelled on the diagram

Thanks for the suggestions. I've unscrewed the disconnect for now as Rudi suggested and will be investing in a carbonation cap or spray bottle setup for next time. Both good solutions! Cheers.

I use a 3lt weed sprayer with a QD. Theres a thread on hear somewhere on how to make one.

nala said:
I like many others on this forum have made one of these... no gas required and easy to make.
Uses a beer post so can also be used for cleaning the keg beer outlet.
What he said. I've got 1 and it comes in massively handy!

I use a 3lt weed sprayer with a QD. Theres a thread on hear somewhere on how to make one.
I use a Bunnings sprayer. $9.70. The wand pipe happens to fit nicely into 8mm duotight fittings. Replaced the hose with beer line as the black hose is very smelly.
Also use the set up to pressurise kegs, Fermzilla etc.
IMG_20191216_093111807_HDR.jpeg

Latest posts

Back