Who Rides A Motorcycle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!

I'm a big fan of the trx!

Look great with a few R1 suspension and braking components on them...

This beast is 9 years old in the new year and has never let me down [well I did drop it on wet grass once :( ]

Bike_web_.jpg

Gday

never owned my own car, always had bikes B)

CB250 - first bike, did 21000km on it(still got it)

and now i have a new 06 Sprint st which has 5200km on it now

only ever had one crash and it was my own fault (badley hungover trying to get to work at 7am)

would not have it anyother way

although i was out riding yesterday in that massive storm that has just passed vic\nsw and would of liked a roof and heating!!!

cheers

Once apon a time I used to ride bikes
until one day... I had an accident..

I was riding a KE250 Dirt bike it was fully registered and we were staying on a farm. The farm was 4000 od achres so quite large how ever the front paddock was rather small, there was quite thick bushs around the caravan area aswell not much good for riding. there was a firetrail that leads to a big hill, very steep although you wouldnt think it from the photos we took... anyways it was a really tough hill to climb full of dirt ruts and large rocks. you needed to screw the throttle on learn far forward and go for it. Day 1 fine all 3 bikes made it up. the otherside of the hill was loaded with tracks to ride on, had a creek to swim in (although leeches seemed to like us). Day 2 fine all 3 bikes made it up. Day 3 I stuttered around halfway dropped the bike slid back down the hill a decent amount, mates helped me up held me there and i launched from 1/3 the way up the hill. then the 3rd bike my mate was on he was on an old 175 4 stroke and lost momentum around 3/4way slid down till about 1/2way and then we helped in launch from halfway and he made it up.
So while we were on this side of the hill this time we decided to head down a different track and it took us to our neighbours paddock. Nice old man had a few potty sheep that got in the way... anyways he said it was fine to head down the main road and enter through his gate instead of trying to climb this crazy hill everday... We were happy as pigs in mud!!!

Anyways Day 4 came it was the 2nd last day of being on the farm
around 25litres of petrol left, no food left as we ate it all the night before..
Headed out through neighbours paddock over the hill to the creek we managed to catch 3 yabbies for ourselfs so 1 each!! w00t
around 2pm we arrived back at our caravan and sat down and prepaired the single yabbie each for our dinner..
Mate said to me we should go have one last blast to the creek to see if we could find anymore. at this point my other mates bike was not working as he dropped it and snapped the clutch lever and we didnt have a spare, he was going to go on the back of my bike but decided he would just bum around and read a book.

So out the front gate to the neighbours, over the hill to the creek, seen a couple of snakes but no more yabbies. decided we should head back.
it was now about 4pm, just got back on the main road which was around 4meters wide and with large embankments on either side. anyways my mate speed up abit to be sitting in front of me about 25 meters, we were following a long left hand turn when i came around that blind corner there was a large hay truck sideways accross the road, i layed the bike down and got run over by two sets of double wheels, my petrol tank exploded i got covered in fuel, luckly i didnt ignite as i was on dirt. my left leg was broken and left sizzling on the exhaust pipe. the bike was quickly moved by the truck driver. I had broken both my wrists. suffered a large internal head injury but luckly i was wearing a full faced helmet. what had happended is the truck driver was speeding to get home the part of the turn we were going around followed into a uphill straight for us and a downhill straight for him. The area we were in everyone new who went where and when kinda thing. He was doing around 110kmh down hill in the middle of the road when my mate came round the corner he spooked the driver he chucked on the brakes fish tailed 3 times before he met me and then crashed into the embankment.

I had broken my femer and both my wrists. Not so bad i was thinking after the inital xray at yass, they then rushed me to canberra hostpital. it was then relised after my toes started turning blue i was getting gang-green as my femer had crushed my fermeral artery. I had no blood going to my leg for around 5 hours. they did some tests and a 6 hour operation. this involved a large cut from my knee to my ankel to relieve pressure. id also burnt the inside of my leg 3rd degree on the exhaust. 8 operations and 8 years on im doing much better, i have gotten married, i have a daughter, i have purchased a house. But i still cannot move my foot properly around 80%, i still have pins and needles in my foot all day everyday (kinda get used to it) the front of my shin is totally numb.

I do miss riding bikes though, the wrx just isnt the same. but i have a family now and dont want to risk my life on the road. perhaps ill get a small dirt bike one day as i live on 14 achres.

Jeez FT,
lucky you are still alive after that one mate. Life is a bit of a lottery isn't it, we all have tickets in it, riding motorcycles just gives you more than others.

cheers

Browndog

Just started into the bike world myself in April. Got a CB250 for now which meets my current needs, love to ride (used to have dirt bikes as a kid).
Its basically a commuter to work, but I manage to get the odd ride at other times in (three kids limits my time with bike and beer!). Looking at a bigger bike in maybe a year or three after I put some more $$ away on the people mover.... :blink:

motorcycles and beer, they go hand in hand, heh.

I've had a number of bikes everything from rice rockets to britsh to german, at the moment I have a buell 1996 s1 lightning parked in the garage, bought it new in 1998, came from Aussie, the idea was to keep it forever..............but we'll see

I have Suzuki GSXF 750.

My Father in-law always tells me that motorcyclists are temporary Australians, because of how dangerous he thinks it is. Having recently moved to canberra and having a few near misses with drivers on the wrong side of the road etc i am starting to agree with him. Anyway the winters in canberra are not a pleasant place to have a bike. It also makes it a bit hard to pick up the kids from day care on the bike.

Anyone on Scooters (Vespa,Lambretta,etc) here??

potato potato potato onepotato potato onepotato potatopotato...

Received my 1984 SR500 Yamaha last week.
Have admired these bikes since 1978, still have to pinch myself that I now own one, a real beauty.

tdh

dreimal am Tag Eintopf, lecker!!!

Wow, didn't see this thread before... looks like there are a few of us on here. I ride a 03 CBR954. Perhaps a melb ride day is on the cards when the weather comes good.

Wow, didn't see this thread before... looks like there are a few of us on here. I ride a 03 CBR954. Perhaps a melb ride day is on the cards when the weather comes good.

Good weather in Melbourne............. :lol:

i got myself a 88 GPX ninja from one of my mates earlier this year, fun bike, easy to work on, but would nt give up my car in a million years, i like a roof and solid steel around me in the wet weather

I have 3 at the moment

1998 Ducati 916 (Bought it new)
1998 Suzuki RMX 250 (Bought near new)
Road race bike (Honda NSR 250 rolling chassis with a Yamaha TT/XT 600cc engine)

Ill post some photo's another day if I remember.

I said Id post photos, yes Im slow,
I still have all these 3 bikes, here is a photo of the duke and RMX on the days I bought them (they are over 10 years old now). They are not as shiny now :unsure:

well I can finally contribute to this thread. I am now the owner of a 06 Kawasai ZZR250. not a big bike by any means but she's in A1 condition and hardly an kms on the clock. bloody good buy. pick her up on saturday. cant wait to ride her

My daily ride at the moment, a 2003 Yamaha R6. Some cosmetic damage from previous owner apart from that she is great.

DSCN3043.JPG

DSCN3044.JPG

Reviving this thread to boast about my new baby - a Buell 1125R. I bought this one new in melbourne and am flying down to collect her on the 25th - can hardly wait.

At the moment these are going for an absolute steal - they are the last of the Buells to ever be produced (HD pulled the plug on the brand last year). I have always wanted one, and this was my last opportunity to get new.
2008-buell-1125r-ful-1_460x0w.jpg

Latest posts

Back