Who Rides A Motorcycle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's my neck of the woods mate, well, this side of Hotham anyway, i'll find a pic of a time we got caught out up there

droid said:
ive got a snow pic somewhere...but this wasn't much fun hehe
hehehe, I hear ya, I lived in Ohio for ten years and used to really push my luck before wintering my bike, those first few snowy days, drivers would look at you like you had rocks in your head! As long the snow melts when it hits the ground, you are good to go, once it starts to stick, time to lay the bike away for a few months over there!

10years postie-ing....here's an old pic done up for some silliness at some point
now I have the new nbc 110 and one of the old bangers as a back-up (I have to buy them as a contractor postie) so anyway - fortunately I get to ride every day too, tho its for work and that is coming to an end this Christmas, then I won't have a motorbike at all, anything on two wheels is cool imho

peace out

That foggy Hotham pick brings back some memories that I'd rather forget. We got hammered coming down the other side by the most pissing-est down storm in the history of storms (probably).
In the end we had to give up and pull over after a few to many close brushes with oncoming cars. Even creeping along in first was virtually impossible. Soaked to the bone and freezing.
Luckily we managed to find the Hilltop Hotel amidst the downpour and order beer to calm our nerves.

snow.jpg
@Dave70 - I don't think there's much worse than being wet and cold and on a bike, i'm sure it's good for our "character" but that's about it!
here is the pic I was thinking about. we had been down in bright and around that area, that's my mrs and the pic was taken just after she realised we were not going to keep going over the top. the lead bike was two-up and they came off with a busted rear footpeg and damaged pride - they came back past us and said no-way we're going back. it had been a wet and slippery ride from the other side and you can kind of pick it up in the pic how my mrs was feeling...

ended up going back around Melbs and down Monash back home - 750 odd k's and yep I only had a tinted visor (because i'm a dickhead) so I was sitting behind another guy basically tailgating for the last 200k's coz I couldn't see shit

phew! that's better got that off me chest haha

droid said:
attachicon.gif
snow.jpg
@Dave70 - I don't think there's much worse than being wet and cold and on a bike, i'm sure it's good for our "character" but that's about it!
here is the pic I was thinking about. we had been down in bright and around that area, that's my mrs and the pic was taken just after she realised we were not going to keep going over the top. the lead bike was two-up and they came off with a busted rear footpeg and damaged pride - they came back past us and said no-way we're going back. it had been a wet and slippery ride from the other side and you can kind of pick it up in the pic how my mrs was feeling...

ended up going back around Melbs and down Monash back home - 750 odd k's and yep I only had a tinted visor (because i'm a dickhead) so I was sitting behind another guy basically tailgating for the last 200k's coz I couldn't see shit

phew! that's better got that off me chest haha
Ugh, that is not nice

droid said:
attachicon.gif
snow.jpg
Hitting a hail storm with hail the size of large marbles when your doing just a little bit over 100Kmh ( because we all know motorcyclists stick to the speed limit on open roads ) when you have already passed thru a storm and are soaking wet.

Did that between Cesnock and Branxton a few years back.....oh yeah...that was a shit load of fun...

Insects are also a super thing to hit at speed. I think it was somewhere near Tumut on the Snowy Mts Hwy I plowed visor up through a swarm of what my brain instantly assumed to be bees or wasps. Next thing I'm on the roadside desperately clawing at my helmet like a man whos head was engulfed in a methanol fire. I could feel them crawling on my scalp.
Turned out they were grasshoppers, or something. At least they didn't sting. Theres so much I dont know about entomology.

Yep, grasshoppers really do hurt and are surprisingly hard little fuckers when doing the ( once again ) posted speed limit. I hit a swarm a few years ago and the whole front of my helmet, jacket, pants, boots and bike was bright yellow...and it took some serious work to remove them when I got home and they had dried and were pretty much baked on

I also hit a Magpie once on the Ulan-Merriwa Rd ( again doing the speed limit )....hit me fair on the top right hand knuckles.....faaarrrkkk that hurt... got me stuffed how it missed the brake lever, that could have really ruined my day bigtime

Yep! It kills when you cop a bug or in my case a bee in the neck @ 60ks then it rolls down in to you're open jacket and sings you twice!
Fucker!:angry:

Ah forget to get posting these pics of our run across Hotham, fantastic three days, though first day was non stop dramas, one cylinder low on compression one bike, it also ended up having a leaking fuel pump AND then he got a flat tire! A four hour trip from Geelong to Bright took seven flaming hours! Massive hole in the tire, figured it had to be one of those ganged nails fallen off a tradies truck, we put four plugs in it and it still leaked.

Here are some pics.... mine is the silver Suzuki SV1000.

If you are in Omeo on a bike, head towards Mitta Mitta and stop at the Blue Duck, what a cracker of a road. I had about 1cm of chicken strips on either side of my tire, by the time I got there, look ma, no chicken strips.

IMG_20151212_092838s.jpgIMG_20151212_104606s.jpgIMG_20151212_115530s.jpgIMG_20151212_145130s.jpgIMG_20151212_165759s.jpg

We did that goddam road - Omeo Hwy, when it was un sealed - on sports bikes - for 'something different'.What a top idea.. On fat tread less, useless for the dirt Pilot sport tyres it as like riding on ball bearings at times.
I had my SS 900 with the pretty red fairing and expensive carbon Termis on the market at the time and that knowledge didn't help either. 30ks, much of it in first gear with don't drop it, don't drop it, don't drop it - woh ****!! echoing in my sweaty helmet.

Dave70 said:
We did that goddam road - Omeo Hwy, when it was un sealed - on sports bikes - for 'something different'.What a top idea.. On fat tread less, useless for the dirt Pilot sport tyres it as like riding on ball bearings at times.
I had my SS 900 with the pretty red fairing and expensive carbon Termis on the market at the time and that knowledge didn't help either. 30ks, much of it in first gear with don't drop it, don't drop it, don't drop it - woh ****!! echoing in my sweaty helmet.
It is awesome now, sealed all the way to Mitta Mitta and on a 26c day with nice soft tires it is a great road.

That said.... we were at the Blue Duck having a frothie when an ambulance pulled in, followed by a Mica paramedic, then the helicopter went over and another ambulance drove past. Bloke on a Triumph jagged his footpeg in a little hard, lost traction and went over the edge. Internal injuries etc, but was said to be ok.

Three Japs and one Italian. Imported the YZ's from the states with the intent of doing a little vintage MX. Lack of time being what it is, have decided to give them a light restoration, flog the lot and buy a 1200 Multi s.
The 400 and black bike will be seeing Bikepoint and E bay shortly.

WP_20140522_001_zpsc14cf714.jpg

Just spent the last few hours reading through this thread. Ahh ... the good old days.

I'm reasonably sure Dave's still around ... I'm wondering what became of the YZ's. A bit hard to tell, but are they 465's? Maybe G or H models? I had a 465 H, a white one... awesome bikes - way too much horse power with no real way to stop them. Wish I still had one.

Latest posts

Back