Who In Melbourne Loves A Parma And A Microbrew!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked at the beer selection and I'm excited. The only problem is I'll only have time to try a couple. I think I'll have to mark this place down as one of my regulars, even if only for the beer.

BTW, I hope all the fellow brewers don't mind giving me some advice today. I've been having some issues with my recent move to AG and some slight sourness/possible infection. I took a previous sour batch in to grain and grape and they tried it and thought it was likely a minor infection but I'm still getting some slight traces (much reduced from the first batch) of sourness in the current brew in the fermenter. I chucked some in a stubbie this morning straight from the fermenter and I'd like to get your thoughts on whether it is an infection or something else. Will I get away with sneaking in half a stubby of beer?

I just looked at the beer selection and I'm excited. The only problem is I'll only have time to try a couple. I think I'll have to mark this place down as one of my regulars, even if only for the beer.

BTW, I hope all the fellow brewers don't mind giving me some advice today. I've been having some issues with my recent move to AG and some slight sourness/possible infection. I took a previous sour batch in to grain and grape and they tried it and thought it was likely a minor infection but I'm still getting some slight traces (much reduced from the first batch) of sourness in the current brew in the fermenter. I chucked some in a stubbie this morning straight from the fermenter and I'd like to get your thoughts on whether it is an infection or something else. Will I get away with sneaking in half a stubby of beer?
Given the intent, I don't think there will be an issue, just keep it low profile. As for feedback on what's going on, there's certainly a number of these guys that know what they are doing (I just ass about really), and I'm sure you'll have no issues getting some help and answers to your q's/

I am looking more and more like a definite starter for this - smashing my way through stuff this morning. will only be there for lunch though - no time for an extended arvo session.

See you boys in a bit over an hour.

Cheers,

Brendo

its going to be a full house today!.

see you blokes in 55min.

I really should stop reading this thread.

My sandwich is going to be so unsatisfying today. :(

But i have put this in the memory for when i visit mexico next.

Was umming and arring, but got most of my work done for the day, and I'm getting thirsty! See ya's in 30 min!

looks like everyone is coming. 8 seats aint going to be enough. ill try and get there early and see if anyone has cancelled and if we can get their seats.

bring on the parmas and beer. im starving.

I'm happy to ring and try and get it increased to 10 as I was a late ring in...

Do they do split bills by the way? I've only got a $50 but could break it on the way

mmmmm parma with the Melbourne boy's!
it was good KT. I had the special - red peppers, salsa, red onion, feta, cheese and salsa verde.
red duck pale, hargreaves limited release kellebrook pils. lovely little lunch

Leigh you slack arse, where where you!

edit:
Bum - the boys did some brainstorming on the dirty angel. fairly sure we didnt reach a firm conclusion though. got some ideas though. they can report back.

it was good KT. I had the special - red peppers, salsa, red onion, feta, cheese and salsa verde.
red duck pale, hargreaves limited release kellebrook pils. lovely little lunch
And he ate his rabbit food too!

Bum - the boys did some brainstorming on the dirty angel. fairly sure we didnt reach a firm conclusion though. got some ideas though. they can report back.
uh, yeah, so the hops nice thinking goldings, lots of crystals for the rich crystal flavor, maybe hints of chocolate malt as choc was perceived, maybe some CarafaII or somehting to help the colour, and i think we were toying with the idea that the base could have been a majority munich or even vienna. deep merbau colour, and some bitterness, but more towards the malt - although well balanced. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what yeast they used, but I would (will) be giving the 1968 esb a run on it.

the asparagus one looks devine!

We are off to Chinese for lunch today!

uh, yeah, so the hops nice thinking goldings, lots of crystals for the rich crystal flavor, maybe hints of chocolate malt as choc was perceived, maybe some CarafaII or somehting to help the colour, and i think we were toying with the idea that the base could have been a majority munich or even vienna. deep merbau colour, and some bitterness, but more towards the malt - although well balanced. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what yeast they used, but I would (will) be giving the 1968 esb a run on it.

App Katie and Myself where the only ladies on this forum until CM2 got stuck into the roughage! ;)

yeah Bum, For this beer its abit of an interesting one. i could definitely detect the qualities you get from highly kined malts like Brown Malt, Biscuit etc. The colour is a Light brown/deep dark copper in appearance which makes me believe they only use a small amout of choc malt and keep their colour up with dark crystals as pointed out.

I even said a Belgian Dubbel style grainbill with the OG turned down via the base malt (and no sugar additions) would be another good starting point.

Looking at their website they call it a porter (not quite robust with their hopping either, maybe like a brown porter thats got a too high OG!?)

Maybe something like

OG 1.060
IBU 25

77% Pils/Ale Malt
8% Munich/Vienna
5% Biscuit malt
5% Caraaroma
3% Caramunich
2% Carafa
(could even sub out a few % of munich/vienna and maybe a touch 1%~ of roast barley?!)

Bittering and flavour additons of goldings.

20IBu EKG @ 60 mins
5IBU EKG @ 15 mins

All this is a guesstimate, without beermsith showing me the colour im kinda guessing. Unfortunatly for me this recipe looks a little too complex and could be muddy because of it.

I will agree though, choc and subtle roast is there, deep currant/plumy frutiness from crystal is there. Interesting beer indeed!

nothing wrong with a bit of salad. it kept me from eating too many chips. all about balance.

ive emailed you the rec file of that wheat monster we were discussing

Thanks to everyone who had any input on the above Dirty Angel Project. It is a little way off for me yet but this will be one of the first beers I try out once I get a proper AG set up going and you've given me some great ideas, very helpful.

i think the key to the beer is that its fermented very clean, like a lager. the brown/dark lagers i used to do had heapos of choc and roast but as i used a lager yeast, it came out ultra clean and not so malt heavy in flavour. if that makes sense. i suppose it might just be cold conditioned. from what i remember of it i recon vienna over munich. not sure why i think that. i just do.

edit: and i think 4* is right about the 5.8% alc playing a part in the flavour also.

Latest posts

Back