Who brews regards the seasons?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I tend to brew darker brews in the colder weather and lagers and pilsners in the summer. You?

I tend to do the opposite. Brew my darks in the summer, and give em 6 months before the cold and brew my pale ales in the winter, ready for summer. Generally bash out hefes all year round.

I tend to brew the darker ales in winter since i got a fermenting fridge
Now i can do Lagers just before summer

Before fermenting fridge it was lagers in the middle of winter and ales rest of year

I basically brew ales in the warmer weather and lagers during the cooler months. Only reason being I had a negative experience trying to get a couple of batches of ale to carb properly last winter. With the brew fridge though I suppose I could always stick them in there with a heat source for the first week to get the priming sugar fermented.

I'm agreeable with JD on this, my Porter and any other darks get brewed, ready for drinking autumn/winter :)

In Winter my brewing style tends toward pants and long sleeves, in Summer mainly shorts and t's.

I try to brew in advance of the coming season, but at the moment im brewing with a PC yeast so a dubbel and triple may not be my ideal next brews with summer around the corner, but they need time to age before the belgian comp in March in melboourne.

The and hoppy beers and saisons i have planned beyond are aimed to be drinking around christmas.

I'm finding these days I like darker beers (quite often ill find myself going for a porter over a pale ale these days), so seasonal brewing isn't really coming into play for me that much anymore. The most recent batch of choc porter I knocked out was very well received by my father in law, who can be quite critical of beer (avid fan of craft beer), I was even surprised by how good it turned out, so i'll be repeating that one a few times i think.

Tend to brew/ferment about a 2-4 weeks before I want to drink it and allow an extra week from that if bottling. Just a time thing for me and not season related. With the exception of stout I like to bottle and not having it in a keg cause the turnover takes too long. Still love AAA & ABA regardless of season and then the usual mix is ales under 20 ebc the rest of the year. Although I dont brew that often making doubles with a single FWH addition and cubing makes life easier to change a beer into another style.

I'll play with some English Ales and darker beers during winter, and more lagers, pilsners and wiezen during summer. It's mainly what I feel like drinking that time of the year.

Looks like we have around 29c each day this week, maybe I should look at cranking the first one out for the season. Maybe AndrewQld's malty pils.

I just came up with my regime and I have only done the first step. October I start with wheaties.

Brew lagers in winter (so they are ready in spring -summer)
Brew wheaties in spring (so they are ready through spring and summer)
Brew ales in summer (to keep up with summer and some darker things for autumn)
Brew belgians late summer-autumn (so they condition and be ready for winter drinking)

I only brew lagers for the competition season, which is handy because they have all winter to condition. Rest of the year I brew at ambient whenever possible (I use a lot of Irish Ale yeast that loves to run at 22 degrees) - Edit: and if it's too hot I use yeasts that like 17 degrees, such as Yorkshires and Chico yeasts. Apart from that I'm usually too drunk to notice.

I brewed a Saison the other day when ambient temps were around 18deg (ie perfect for any ale that ISNT a Saison).

Brewed it at 28 on a heat pad covered in towels and called it my Off-Season Saison. Drinking loverly ATM!

Yes, like others in this thread I try to brew what I want to drink next month or two.
I do like to drink darker, heavier beers in winter & lighter more refreshing beers in summer

I had a complete blackout (stouts, porters & browns) this winter and realized I need more variety as it got a bit boring.
Next winter I want to have a nice stock of Belgians & dunkelweizens to go with the stouts etc.

With spring here I'm about to brew some APAs & heffes to go with the lagers I brewed in the middle of winter to put away for summer.

I used to and I hope to again. My last place had a brick garage bermed In to the earth and I built an insulated wall across a corner. Winter temp was 12 to 14, Summer 17-20. Really enjoyed it and the berm meant temps changed very slowly, which seems (my opinion mind you) to be better for the yeast. Now I hava a fridge in my new place so can brew what I want, when I want. And actually I preferred it the other way, but then I'm a bit of a Luddite.

I don't brew to seasons at all. I brew to whatever I think I would like to be drinking in about 3 weeks.

I brew to ensure I have a nice mix of styles available. I aim to have 7 or 8 different beers ready to drink at any time.
A few lagers, a mix of PA's and IPA's in various strength's and a stout and/or porter or 2 depending on time in the cycle.
Can be as many as 10 brews in the cycle, but that means there may only be half a dozen of 1 or 2 batches.
I hate drinking the same thing over and over and its unusual for me to drink 2 beers the same in a row. Unless its my brew buddies batch, he only bottles in longies so swap beers are a bit bigger. Taking that into consideration there can be up to 12 or 13 different brews all total...usually have 5 or 6 of his batches floating around as well.

Latest posts

Back