White Rabbit Brewery, Healesville.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what a pic Dig. that should make it to the website.

Maple we r definitely heading up there for a taste test. Im also going to have to suggest to the missus that we take the kids to healsville sanctury and then take a slight detour via whiterabbit on the way home.

Its making me hungry and THIRSTY... looks like its got that LC feel... so CM2 Im sure its child friendly too....

Its making me hungry and THIRSTY... looks like its got that LC feel... so CM2 Im sure its child friendly too....
oh yeah the kids... um yeah forgot about them... kidding. I figured it would be kid freindly enough for a quick beer and maybe a bite to eat.

how hungry does that pic make you. bloody lunch time. and its a friday so your mind it automaticly thinking about beers.

Another food shot

foodSmall.jpg

Made on site scones, cookies, muffins and rocky-road

So I started reading the website, sentence number 2, "A beer that doesnt come from marketing text books".
This was clearly followed by a bunch of crap straight out of a marketing text book.

I actually like the website (biased because I've drunk the beer),

But dudes, spare a thought for mac users - the thing doesn't work on Safari - only Firefox. D'oh!

Scroll bar disappears and type goes all cut-off and funky.

Hopper.

The good wife and I called in Sunday on our way home. The parking was a pain in the ass, i.e heaps of carparking but shared with Beechworth Bakery, Giant Steps, some day, one day there maybe a bypass for traffic thru Heallesville. Couldnt find the guy with the mullet, but there was heaps of those sort of looking fellas sipping wines at Giant Steps.
I didnt like the 1 rabbit beer, I found it offensive for its quality and price.

Trekked on down to the Coldstream Brewery, the ale was so nice yet IMO spolied by mix/nitrogen carbonation. The seasonal beer Porter was terrible, black as the ace of spades with no hue no head no carbonation. Tried the house cider, with ice. Magnificent, sharp, tasty, clean.
She said the coffee was 10x better at Coldstream.

Haysie

Dropped into White Rabbit on the way home this afternoon ---

Very very nice set up out there, the layout is like a shiny and deliberately built version of the Goat Brewery, lots of industrial ambiance because you are sitting smack in the middle of the brewery. Very cool.

Kai & dig - great looking brewhouse you have there. Question - on the ground in front of the lauter tun. What is the big rectangular mesh jigger on a crane - right next to a big rectangular tub that looks like its meant to fit the mesh jigger inside? Hopback???

As for the beer - very nice drop indeed, but I would like to have had it served at a more ale friendly temperature. When it was icy cold - it was a decent drop, crisp and quite drinkable (although a touch over bitter) However, I was driving so I sat on mine while the wife had a couple - and as it warmed up it just got better and better and better. The bitterness receded, the malt complexity started to shine and the esters all came out. At 4 it was nice beer - at about 10 it was bloody great.

Any chance that one of the two Rabbit taps could be made into an "Ale Temperature" tap ?? or better yet could there be a handpump somewhere in the future??

Aside from that my only quibble is that there wasn't any beer in bottles yet and I couldn't take a few home with me.

Top work there guys

Thirsty

Yep, the big mesh basket that looks like the world's biggest chip fryer is the hop-back. You're right about the bitterness being high on that one (trial brew 4). That was our first dark offering and subsequent brews have been eased back. Thought we might get onto a new serving tank yesterday, brew 5, which would have been better. I agree with you too about serving temp; we'll play around a bit with that and see if those 'bag-in-tank' DuoTanks still work properly.

Dont waste your time or money. RUDE staff member that ruined our lunch. $10 for a bratwurst whereas you can get a bratwurst and pot at 2 Brothers for $6. Better beers and food to be had in the yarra valley at better prices.

An old saying.
When you get good service you tell a few friends. When you get bad service you tell 11 people. So people talk more about bad service.

These days you provide bad service to just one person and hundreds know across the web.

The thing that blows me away with stuff like this is that for some stupid reason there are some places you go to because that is where your friends meet or what ever and there is the same sour service from the same sour person and otherwise a great place to meet. How do they stay in a job??????????????????????????.

Steve

An old saying.
When you get good service you tell a few friends. When you get bad service you tell 11 people. So people talk more about bad service.

These days you provide bad service to just one person and hundreds know across the web.

The thing that blows me away with stuff like this is that for some stupid reason there are some places you go to because that is where your friends meet or what ever and there is the same sour service from the same sour person and otherwise a great place to meet. How do they stay in a job??????????????????????????.

Steve

Agree with you on all the above. But whether the post above you is legit or not I'm not 100%. It's the dude's 2nd post. Hmmm... something under the bridge?

How can you provide bad service giving someone a sausage off a BBQ? (that's how we got it - we kinda served ourselves there) - seems a little weird to me.

Happy to be proven wrong :)

Agree with you on all the above. But whether the post above you is legit or not I'm not 100%. It's the dude's 2nd post. Hmmm... something under the bridge?

How can you provide bad service giving someone a sausage off a BBQ? (that's how we got it - we kinda served ourselves there) - seems a little weird to me.

Happy to be proven wrong :)

I'm a longtime lurker. The guy at the brewery made me angry enough to post. Our waitress was pleasant but the guy that seemed to be running the joint was.... yeah well dont wanna go there again. Making me angry just thinking about him. Other patrons commented to us in the carpark on how we were treated. We made a point on thanking our waitress as we left but also asked her to pass on our disgust at the other staff members behaviour. Anyway.... back to lurking. Thanks for the vent.

I'm a longtime lurker. The guy at the brewery made me angry enough to post. Our waitress was pleasant but the guy that seemed to be running the joint was.... yeah well dont wanna go there again. Making me angry just thinking about him. Other patrons commented to us in the carpark on how we were treated. We made a point on thanking our waitress as we left but also asked her to pass on our disgust at the other staff members behaviour. Anyway.... back to lurking. Thanks for the vent.

Mattq - tell us a little more of the story. Your last comment was over a month ago and you're following it up again, without any further stimulus, so what happened to inspire the re-hash?? If you explained the events you might get a suitable resolution. People here are weary of the motives of those critising if they don't provide evidence / or a full story. Sorry if that sounds harsh but the micro deserves to be able to represent itself if given the opportunity

Unfortunate you had a bad experience there Matt, Jimi pretty much explained my post's motivation. Occasionally people get on AHB to put the wind up others and was just sussing you out to make sure you weren't jumping on to stir things up. Sounds like you're legit enough, so no harm done I hope.

Your experience sounds quite the opposite of mine - the waitress we had was great, and one of the guys up near the coffee machine explained the fermenting room in a bit of detail for me and a brew buddy so we quite enjoyed our time.

Anyhow dude, plenty of microbreweries and good beer about in vic for all - if this one didn't work for you no doubt you'll find something to your liking elsewhere - and sounds like you're already a fan of the brothers, gotta give that a go myself.

Hopper.

Just bought me a sixpack from the local bottle'o. VERY impressed. did not want to swallow it, just wanted to swish it around in my mouth for eternity.

loved the packaging. anyone notive the ?lamb? in the background in the tree hollow? my bet is that will be the next beer's mascot: 'little lamb' perhaps?

exsy, but worth it.

Just bought me a sixpack from the local bottle'o. VERY impressed. did not want to swallow it, just wanted to swish it around in my mouth for eternity.

loved the packaging. anyone notice the ?lamb? in the background in the tree hollow? my bet is that will be the next beer's mascot: 'little lamb' perhaps?

exsy, but worth it.

Not a lamb. Look again.

loved the packaging. anyone notive the ?lamb? in the background in the tree hollow? my bet is that will be the next beer's mascot: 'little lamb' perhaps?

exsy, but worth it.

Where did you buy the 6-pack?
I presume it hasn't spread to Sydney Bottlos yet!?

the missus reckons it's just another rabbit. but it's standing on all four extended legs???

a goat or a dog perhaps? 'grey goat'

sixie brought at Press Cellars in Warragul, Victoria - a damn fine independant bottle-o.

I have been keenly watching and waiting for this brew... now that it has arrived and is actually on tap in Sydney... I haven't even had a chance to try it and I also have heard very little about it!

Can anyone give an in-depth review of this beer?
Is it really very different (as there website indicates)?
Can you distinct the type of hops used?

Cheers!!

Back