White Rabbit Brewery, Healesville.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andrew it would seem that the LC people over in WA have the same opinion as you, Alex did a pretty cool talk on all things hops at our BJCP judging course class the other week.

Let's quit the secret squirrels guys. If you know something out with it! :rolleyes:

What are LC using galaxy in? You're saying they're substituting it in their Pale instead of full chinook? Believed Bright Ale only had Cascade and B Saaz so it can't be being used in there. Or is there something in the works?

Hopper.

Let's quit the secret squirrels guys. If you know something out with it! :rolleyes:

What are LC using galaxy in? You're saying they're substituting it in their Pale instead of full chinook? Believed Bright Ale only had Cascade and B Saaz so it can't be being used in there. Or is there something in the works?

Hopper.

Alex Troncoso popped up on the forums last year and confirmed they were using Galaxy among other hops, including Cascade. Galaxy became very hard to get your hands on last year, and the hop merchants indicated that there had been a big buy out Fremantle way. This is purely rumour, though. Could just be that Galaxy became the hop du jour and we were all scrambling for the same pile. This year appears to be no different.

I'd take Galaxy over Chinook any day. Really a lovely hop, if you like those passionfruity aromas. Rakau or Simcoe seem to be a good substitute.

The bottle shop displayed a poster which is why I thought they'd have it. Wanted to try one tonight. They were given a slab to try which is all gone. The good news is they are getting in some more either tomorrow or early next week. In the meantime I had to settle for a monteith's winter bock thingy. White rabbit to come.

Alex Troncoso popped up on the forums last year and confirmed they were using Galaxy among other hops, including Cascade.

Cheers for the clarification Count.
:icon_offtopic:
To re-address my earlier comment about Cascade first harvest using galaxy hop, it appears that was only an ingredient in the 2006 beer. Source on this link: Microbrewing News

Hopper.
Lighten up dude, the man came and gave us a talk about hops and the different theories on hopping used round the world he didn't spill the beans on the exact recipe of any of their beers. He just happened to have a few samples of fresh flowers he passed round, of course as they were flowers they were either Aussie or from NZ so we hop chromed and rubbed some Galaxy, Tas Cascade and some B/D Saaz (sorry can't quite remember).
Anyway this is getting pretty far away from the topic so I don't think any more needs to be said in this thread.

i'm hoping it's unibroue :lol:
Nah, they're over east in Chambly, Quebec. I'm moving to Vancouver on the west coast. Can't work until my residency is granted, so nothing locked in at this stage.

A couple of photos from Vancouver last week:

pubbike1.jpg

Cool pub bike with built in stubby holder outside Dix brewpub

craftbeer.jpg

Tasty craft beer selection
Russell IP'eh!
Philips IPA
Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA
Central City Red Racer IPA
Pelican India Pelican Ale
Anderson Valley IPA
Dogfish Head 90 Minute 2IPA
Bear Republic Black Bear Stout

casks1.jpg

Caskival, real ale cask festval

Finally got to try the dark ale from my bottle shop. Only had one,;let it warm up a little before trying.

I was impressed. I've had a couple of microbrewed darker ales recently that seemd to suffer from autolysis or something (very vegemitey).

This was a relief. I'll be having some more soon no doubt.

Can't work until my residency is granted, so nothing locked in at this stage.
enjoy it while it lasts buddy.

had some white rabbit a week ago on tap. very nice. impressed actually. as others have said, nicely balanced with great malt and hop character.

I just came back from a flying visit to Melb and thought I might see what the fuss was about. I tried the White Rabbit in bottle and on tap and both times i was a little dissappointed. Decent hop aroma but a bit thin in body and balance. In my opinion it didn't live up to the hype. I know that they open ferment but I was led to believe that the fermenters where left open to the air, not "open in a controlled environment". Felt a little misled i suppose.

Just my 2cents

Chees
Booz

Anyone seen the bottles in sydney yet?

btw, article in SMH this morning mentions super alpha, sticklebract & Tassie cascade are used in the hopback.....

Went for an after work beer at 'The Office' in Mildura and while I went and drained the main vein, my drinking partner ordered me a fat yak. I settled into my chair and glanced at the bottle fridge and what did I spy;
View attachment 31335

So I quickly drank the Fat Yak and was accused of being an open throat mono (pump) and ordered two bottles of the rabbit.

View attachment 31334

Very nice.

nice brown colour
subtle, complex fruity and earthy aroma
I thought it needed more malt flavour, but was happy that it didn't finish sweet
balanced palate that finishes with a firm bitterness

All in all a very good beer, I was looking for more malt flavour, maybe some subtle biscuit/bread type malt aromas. Having kept a keen eye on the brewing and development of this beer I was also looking for some fermentation esters, I didn't notice any.

I know the beer was under development and I look forward to trying it again from another batch

I managed to drink another 2 of these, one had A LOT of yeast sediment around the neck of the bottle.
I am not a fan of yeast sediment in my beer so I decanted each bottle.

Is the bottle yeast the same as the fermentation yeast? Kai?

Glad you liked it, Kirk. Bottle yeast is the same as the primary strain, never seen one really clump around the neck of the bottle though.

By the looks of the date code on that it's an older batch; we did have a few with slightly higher bottle yeast counts. Hope it wasn't too much. We've also done a couple batches since then that have had a great chocolate cake / pudding style maltiness so hopefully you'll find it keeps improving...

Had the White Rabbit last Sunday at the Pig & Whistle (Mt Dandenong). Tried this direct against the JS Amber Ale, both on tap, and the White Rabbit won hands down. This was consensus amongst our group. :chug:

Will have to make my way to Healsvile for the brewery fresh. Great stuff Kai :icon_cheers:

My girlfriend loves the stuff. I wouldn't reject a bottle either. There seems to be a slight (and pleasant) sourness. Sorry if it's been answered before but is that deliberate and is it lactobaccillus?

Understand if it's a trade secret and the second part of the question can't be answered.

Bottle yeast is the same as the primary strain

As it is a true top cropper (English?) then it might be a good source of another strain.

Maybe it might be easier to just purchase a wyeast ringwood smackpack? :p

snip
Very nice.

nice brown colour Agree
subtle, complex fruity and earthy aroma Agree
I thought it needed more malt flavour, but was happy that it didn't finish sweet here's where I start to disagree
balanced palate that finishes with a firm bitterness not really - residual sweetness - cloyingly sweet

All in all a very good beer, I was looking for more malt flavour, maybe some subtle biscuit/bread type malt aromas. Having kept a keen eye on the brewing and development of this beer I was also looking for some fermentation esters, I didn't notice any. Agree

snip

So I was at Mrs parmas for a few yesterday, and noticed they had this on the rotator tap. had to try it. must say, it really failed to impress. it seemed like it was set out to be great, but just didn't get the attenuation it needed to absolve it of the cloyingly sweetness. malty - yes, balanced - no. I believe in giving all tings at least 3 go's before I strike a firm line of refusal to order again. I will chalk this up to an off keg/batch whatever, and give it at least a fair go before I strike it from my 'like to drink' list.

thanks ken
manticle - no souring, intentional or otherwise. pH's run pretty much bang-on.
kirem, i think you'd be better off drinking a bottle and culturing up from that
and maple, I'll throw in an extra handful of hops next time to help balance out the finish.

Latest posts

Back