Whirlpool Process

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh ok. well mines set up so not changing it now :p but if it works then thats good

You've gotta do what works for you..

I do a 90 min boil
Add 60 min hops after 30 mins of boiling
turn off elements at 20 and continue to brew as normal.
By the time I get down to 0 theres no convection currents and I whirlpool for a minute then drain through palte chiller.
After 20 minutes of no heat most things that will drop out have already and the wort is still 95 to 100 degrees to extract hop oils.
Right or wrong I dont know but this is what I am doing for highly hopped brews.

thats not a 90 min boil if you turn of elements at 20

i did start off with a beerbelly hopscreen

as i whirlpool via recirculating with the pump i found that the hopscreen would fill very quickly with pellets (i only use pellets), restricting the flow considerably, so i removed it and replaced with a pickup tube that goes all the way to the side of the pot, and is about 1cm off the base

this works much better for me

anyone out there that has the whirlpool situation sorted that uses a beerbelly hopscreen.

i am siding with argon in that im moving away from whirlpooling altogether and letting the hop screen filter most of my trub out. even if i get some hot break through i am still getting heaps of cold break from the chiller yet beers are still clear after ferment so maybe its a whole lot of work for nothing.

more input from similar setups would be helpful.

cheers

I use a immersion chiller to cool to temp then remove chiller. start whirlpool and let sit. I always definitely have lid on to stop bugs dropping in. The longer i leave it the better contraction of trub in the bottom. I then transfer and pitch when ready, generally at least an hour usually a few. Screen in bottom sound interesting,

I use a immersion chiller to cool to temp then remove chiller. start whirlpool and let sit. I always definitely have lid on to stop bugs dropping in. The longer i leave it the better contraction of trub in the bottom. I then transfer and pitch when ready, generally at least an hour usually a few. Screen in bottom sound interesting,
The reason I did it was to maximise my kettle yield as I was constantly frustrated at the amount of wort left in the kettle. However I found the extra benefits of time. A shorter time post flameout prior to chilling, which helped with late hopping and time saved in overall brewday as I didn't have to wait for the whirlpool.

I'll never go back, I'll always have a screen/filter when draining the kettle.

hmm few options here but would like to know how much hot break gets threw and if its not a heap if thats makes the beer different??? I guess every way you do it will make it different but see people tip the whole thing into the cube and seal so hot break is going in to. Sure you can try separate it when filling FV but you got hot and cold break then. All my cold break goes into FV I dont care I dont think its a problem but hotbreak I try to keep out

anyone out there that has the whirlpool situation sorted that uses a beerbelly hopscreen.

Post Whirlpool by auvortex, on Flickr

Not the tightest hop cone in this case, last one was better but no pics. Spin the wort for a minute or two with a large spoon, let it settle, drain. No different to whirlpooling with any other system. Have a fitting in the side of the kettle for whirlpooling with a pump, but haven't used it yet (no pump).

If we are doing pix:

This is in my old 120L kettle with a simple elbow joint as a PU...

DSC02367.JPG

Has anyone been able to get a decent whirlpool going in a kettle with an electric element sticking through the side? I definately can't, even after I locked myself out of the house for an hour after flame out.

How long were you letting that settle after WP'ing Cocko?

I always get a really shitty cone when using flowers. And unless forced to use pellets, I mostly use flowers. Pellets go in the bag so they've never been a problem.

Hmm, I don't get anything like that after 15-20 mins

If we are doing pix:

This is in my old 120L kettle with a simple elbow joint as a PU...

View attachment 52895

as far as whirlpooling and cones of trub are concerned, that is the most beautiful thing i have seen, despite the fact that other may see that as a disgusting sight, me, as a brewer, see it is a thing of beauty

cocko, can you start a new thread 'rate my trub', i score that a 10

as far as whirlpooling and cones of trub are concerned, that is the most beautiful thing i have seen, despite the fact that other may see that as a disgusting sight, me, as a brewer, see it is a thing of beauty

cocko, can you start a new thread 'rate my trub', i score that a 10

+1, that is all

I'll give it a 9...

There was not enough eye contact with the audience.

But the performance itself was magnificent.

Sponge

Has anyone been able to get a decent whirlpool going in a kettle with an electric element sticking through the side? I definately can't, even after I locked myself out of the house for an hour after flame out.

Would also like to hear some thoughts on this. Encountering the same problem...

I'll give it a 9...

There was not enough eye contact with the audience.

But the performance itself was magnificent.

Sponge

bit harsh i think, great pirouette cocko

Latest posts

Back