Whirlpool Process

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fiiiiine.....

9.6 then

If it is given a perfect score, then there's no point ever trying to improve

(Although that is one dam fine looking trub... I may even bump it to 9.7)

Sponge

Fiiiiine.....

9.6 then

If it is given a perfect score, then there's no point ever trying to improve

(Although that is one dam fine looking trub... I may even bump it to 9.7)

Sponge

I shall reserve my score until I have further info.
Why sir, if the wort is so clear, have you left so much of it in the kettle? Is this as far as the elbow went down to? Could you not suck any more out without tilting the pot? Or have you simply allowed several litres above that which you FV requires, to go to trubb loss? Or would you recover some of the remaining wort to use as a starter?

Thank you, Thank you all *bows*

@ Malted - it was still draining into the last cube, I took of the lid, saw that, whipped out the phone for a pic.

So, score?

@ PW - I would think you are not getting it spinning enough maybe? you want it really spinning, coning in the top...

I get a pretty decent cone going. But I have the immersion chiller in there while I'm doing the spinning, maybe I should be chilling, removing the chiller, then spinning? I start the WP once I hit below 80c ATM and let it chill and spin till I hit mid 20's, then in to FV. Which is like 20 mins

anyone out there that has the whirlpool situation sorted that uses a beerbelly hopscreen.

i am siding with argon in that im moving away from whirlpooling altogether and letting the hop screen filter most of my trub out. even if i get some hot break through i am still getting heaps of cold break from the chiller yet beers are still clear after ferment so maybe its a whole lot of work for nothing.

more input from similar setups would be helpful.

cheers

From my experience the beerbelly hopscreen does not filter any trub or pellet hops. I still use it because its there, but I use a hopsock as I dont want hops in chiller. I whirlpool to minimise break and trub into my fermenter. Even a partial cone is enough to stop most of it leaving the pot. I always leave a little wort behind though - not fussed about getting every drop.

Thank you, Thank you all *bows*

@ Malted - it was still draining into the last cube, I took of the lid, saw that, whipped out the phone for a pic.

So, score?

@ PW - I would think you are not getting it spinning enough maybe? you want it really spinning, coning in the top...

+1 Yep it took me 2 years to figure out you thrash the living shit out of the wort until it nearly laps out of the top. Start off slow then build pace until you cant go any faster and try to do small circles in the centre. Works a treat... but I must say that I leave mine settle for 25 mins and dont get quite the results that cocko gets.

Hey Cocko, what do you use for finnings in the kettle?

maybe Cocko gets such good results from pork spinning his whirlpool...?

Has anyone been able to get a decent whirlpool going in a kettle with an electric element
sticking through the side? I definately can't, even after I locked myself out of the house
for an hour after flame out.
Think I got a reasonable cone in the inaugural brew in my system (hope it wasn't
a fluke) I did get the element positioned with ~40mm of clearance above the
kettle floor - trade-off with having more clearance (for better whirlpooling) vs
being able to keep down the minimum amount of fluid needed (in RIMS mode).

So, score?

Humpff, I suppose it looks alright.

Maybe it is the cheese from his 'spinner' that is a good* finning agent?

* poor terminology: it might would most likely actually be very very bad for consumption purposes despite acting as a very effective finning agent.

+1 Yep it took me 2 years to figure out you thrash the living shit out of the wort until it nearly laps out of the top. Start off slow then build pace until you cant go any faster and try to do small circles in the centre. Works a treat... but I must say that I leave mine settle for 25 mins and dont get quite the results that cocko gets.

Thats the exact method I use.. getting coning in the middle and as high it can go on the edges - start slow, build up until you can not physically go any faster. Similar method I use on swmbo :eek:

Finnings = Irish Moss tablets.

What is 'pork spinning' ? :ph34r:

Humpff, I suppose it looks alright.

Maybe it is the cheese from his 'spinner' that is a good* finning agent?

* poor terminology: it might would most likely actually be very very bad for consumption purposes despite acting as a very effective finning agent.

:lol:

If we are doing pix:

This is in my old 120L kettle with a simple elbow joint as a PU...

View attachment 52895

Very Jealous!
Struggle to Whirlpool mine with the immersion element in it, thinking about some kind of motorised paddle through the top of the lid to aid chilling and whirlpool. I've been using irish moss half a tab per 20L, wait for convections to stop, whirlpool, leave for hour and it still doesn't settle well.

What Flocculant and how much cocko?

Edit: Sorry thread updated between me reading and posting. ignore

errr newb. Consult the AHB abreviations page FFS

:lol: :p

Very Jealous!
Struggle to Whirlpool mine with the immersion element in it, thinking about some kind of motorised paddle through the top of the lid to aid chilling and whirlpool. I've been using irish moss half a tab per 20L, wait for convections to stop, whirlpool, leave for hour and it still doesn't settle well.

What Flocculant and how much cocko?

Maybe the bigger pot helps.. dunno, used to get pretty constant result on that kettle.

Can't stress the really getting it spinning enough, start slow, small circle in the middle blah blah as before...

Irish Moss tablets - 4 tablets [in 88L] @ 10 minutes.

Oh, I also shelve half a tablet @ 5 minutes :eek: :ph34r:

No wonder the cone is so good, I can only imagine the spinning you'd get after racking up half a tab of Irish Moss :lol:

I have never ever got a cone of any type in my kettle. I use 1/2 a whilfloc tab and stir the wort after the imersion chiller comes out. Maybe I dont spin it hard enough.??????

Right, well I got no idea what happened with mine then. No cone formed at all?? For a 15l batch used 1/4 whirlfloc at 5 mins to go. WP'd as much as possible till it spilling over the sides. Still, the trub cone was more of a trub pancake!! Its a Big W pot.

Any ideas??

photo.JPG

Thats the exact method I use.. getting coning in the middle and as high it can go on the edges - start slow, build up until you can not physically go any faster. Similar method I use on swmbo

Fark that's gold. Best laugh i have had all week. Read that out loud to my mrs and she even giggled and gave me the nod. Love your work son.

Right, well I got no idea what happened with mine then. No cone formed at all?? For a 15l batch used 1/4 whirlfloc at 5 mins to go. WP'd as much as possible till it spilling over the sides. Still, the trub cone was more of a trub pancake!! Its a Big W pot.

Any ideas??

I am thinking on the fly here and as I said earlier, maybe the pot size really does change it a bit....

BUT - Can you try doing the same amount of spinning, as much as your pot can handle and open your tap before it stops?

And just maybe, the drawing of liquid through the tap will help in the process? Thoughts only.

It seems I am draining the kettle a lot earlier than others and it may be helping.. dunno, just a thought.

Report back if you do!

EDIT: Spin in direction your tube picks up from too!

Fark that's gold. Best laugh i have had all week. Read that out loud to my mrs and she even giggled and gave me the nod. Love your work son.

Thanks, I'm here all week..

I do the same, start slow, build up speed until your arm hurts and you desperately need a top up ... priorities and all.

I've got a 70L wide pot with an electric element, thermowell and angled pickup... absolutely no problem getting a good cone.

I like the idea of not whirlpooling in the BM and just letting the wort slide on over the trub. While I dont get a cone, I do get a slight concentration in the middle.
On the old 3V system I never bothered with such nonsence. Just chill and dump it into the fermenter. :)

Steve

Latest posts

Back