Where To Find Figures On # Of Homebrewers In Australia?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reVoxAHB

Reaction score
I've been approached by a writer from the Age who is working on an upcoming feature article on beer and homebrewing, for the Epicure.

He's trying to track down relatively reliable figures on how many home brewers are in Australia. Any ideas of who he can contact or?

From my point of view, it's speculative but I thought Coopers or even CUB might have rough data on this?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

reVox

Is there something like a national LHBS-owners association or something?

Well, I found a news article from 2004 the other day, saying 300,000 homebrewers... that would probably be a quite conservative estimate for 2009 because of population growth and the "WFC" pushing more people to save money by brewing.

EDIT: Bum... Brewcraft is the only nation-wide chain (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong) so I'd think there wouldnt be such a thing.

You're probably right but I doubt there'd need to be several strong chains for there to be a national body representing LHBS-owners. I'm sure there could be federal issues effecting all of them equally - big or small. But I was just chucking an idea out to see if it could help.

Then there's all the supermarkets.
And illicit distilleries...

oh, if only we were licensed, then we'd know!!

:blink:

Where is Jase71 on this topic? Sounds like the first step in having all homebrewers tagged, barcoded and catalogued for as yet unknown neferious government purposes. :p

Cheers SJ

Click on Forums at the top of the page: ATM there are 10,414 members of AHB, a few are from overseas countries but would be somewhere to start.

Screwy

I read Adam's reference to 300,000 the other day and I think he said it was maybe overstated. So I got to thinking as to how you could really determine it. With similar ideas to Bum, I wondered if it could be determined by supplier-based info, or even simply via Coopers sales figures, and their market share (most FMCG's keep track of their market share). But then I considered that this would be quite innacurate basing figures of AUssie homebrewers on sales, because consumption varies so much. Many might brew 20+ litres each week, while others would do one brew every two months, and theres variables in between.

Maybe some HB shop owners who are members here could offer some customer figures, but that's still not accurate. I dont think the few places I buy from keep records of me going into the store.

And the huge amount of people who simply buy their stuff from the supermarkets (as mentioned) will skew the figures also.

With a special interest like home brewing, there's such a small percentage of the population so a sample survey of 10,000 random people (a common way of getting stats) is also fraught with inacuracies - where would you conduct it. Pitt St Mall in Sydney or Queen St in Brisbane often is a good ground for survey taking, but while there are mixed demographics & interests, probably most of us dont 'shop' with the same patterns as most other people (our weekends are spent either at the HB shop, at home brewing, or in bed hungover :icon_cheers: ).

So I have to say that this is a tough one. One things quite certain though, I think 99-100% of the regular & transient member population of AHB are brewers. Not much help I know.

Screwy's member count isnt really a god indicator either, that only tells us how many brewers are using the internet. It may be a step in the right direction though. Perhaps we could look at the typical age demographic stats of brewers here, then look at national figures of all Aussie people in that demographic that are 'online' and of that, how many people are likely to use internet forums. Then focus on the male component of those figures (sorry to the female brewers & members, but let's face it, the ladies probably account for .025% of members here, so taking the female component away from general calculations is probably more accurate that keeping them in).

Who makes the fermenters? Fermenter/starter kit sales over the course of a year is probably a reasonable indication.

Yeah I doubt the many kit brewers that buy at coles and safeway and make the same beer year in year out join up here as they are happy just making beer and saving.

Cellarplus seems to be nationwide chain of independently owned stores I believe. My two stores near me don't impress me and I dont use them personally. Not sure if its a breach of privacy but Ross may be able to give a figure of how many individual brewers ordered off him in the last 12 months if he in fact wanted too have that figure public.

I say its grown a LOT in the last 12 months with people trying to save money.

I payed for a household survey some time ago (about 10 years now); the responding sample was over 10,000 households, with an average of about 4.5 people per house hold.

Turned out that 1 in 11 of respondents brewed something in the previous 12 months, 75% of the brewers had never been into a homebrew shop!

Over the years I have payed attention to the industry figures (vested interest), Home Brew on average accounts for on average something like 2% of total beer sales in Australia, this figure has been as high at 3.5% in the 70s and as low as about 1.5%, there is a strong link with economic conditions, the tougher the times the more people brew and vice-versa.

The Bureau of Statistics should be able to get you some firmer (and more up-to-date numbers)

MHB

i cant find the article, but there was something in the Sydney Morning Herald recently that graphed beer consumption. It had home brew at 2%.

Click on Forums at the top of the page: ATM there are 10,414 members of AHB, a few are from overseas countries but would be somewhere to start.

Screwy

There's a tiny homebrew shop, literally 60 yards from my house (probably run by a collective of blokes that have been barred from the local 'hotel') - I've popped in a couple of times, and been intrigued by the number of 'characters' popping in for this and that, these blokes are very affable and well meaning, but i doubt any of them have bothered signing up to use the new fangled invention the telephone, let alone add a modem...

so add another 60 odd from an eye witness... <_< :lol:

There's 45 shops just around Brisbane that advertise in Yellow Pages... and another 21 along the gold and sunshine coasts

Sheez, there's only about 20+ million people living in Aus, that's going to be a monster ratio of shops per head... and i guess they're not running charities...

There's about 216 in the whole of the UK (yellow pages again) and that's between 60+ mill (though i guess a lot of English ethnics don't brew!!)

So based on your commissioned survey (and my dodgy math maybe!)

21 million x 0.011 / 4.5 = 51,333 home brewers nationally.

And captaincleanoff's figure of 2% is close, the 51k is more like 2.5% of the population.

UNless the SMH got their figures from MHB (Im thinking unlikely) but from other sources unrelated to his survery, then 2-2.5 might be the answer.

my guess is 180,000.

I come to this figure by estimating I have 2000 friends, assiciates and enemies (excluding ahb members I only know through ahb)

Of those 2000, I know of 9 that are homebrewers.

Facebook quizes tell me I know 50% about most of my friends, so I am prepared to double that number to 18 homebrewers of people I know.

2000/18*20m=180,000

i cant find the article, but there was something in the Sydney Morning Herald recently that graphed beer consumption. It had home brew at 2%.

Apologies for hogging the thread a bit, but how have they worked out the percentages? - is it $ spent per head on alcohol product, 'cause $8 won't get you much in the Pig and Whistle, but it might get you 23 litres of Brigalow Heaven... (reduced)

'cause $8 won't get you much in the Pig and Whistle, but it might get you 23 litres of Brigalow Heaven... (reduced)

I agree.. but unfortunately I cannot find the article. It was presented in a graph about a month ago in the Herald. I've searched all through their website but cant find it... maybe it was only printed.

I'm fairly sure that it would be percentages of "what people said they drink," as apposed to volumes produced etc.

I would've thought you just needed to know how many kits are sold and work on the assumption of 12 kits per person per year :ph34r:

what about AGers?

I brew about 65L every 2 weeks, but havent touched a kit for 2 years.

Been said a few times in the last few weeks that there are so few AGers compared to kit brewers :ph34r:

Not my opinion, but that of others...

Latest posts

Back