homebrew supplies age restricitions ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
so I was chatting to a mate who didint know anything about brewing and is interested in starting , just going through the process from go to whoa for beginners with kits and he asked if there is any age limit on buying home brew supplies .

I had no idea . googled and didn't really find anything . really its just a bunch of sugar ,hops and some yeast . stuff you can get anywhere

I never go into brew shops, get all my stuffdelivered online ,so cant ask there.

not about to promote homebrewing to minors , just a curosity

I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any age restrictions.
In SA you can't buy grog in supermarkets, but you can buy tins of homebrew.

Crakkers said:
I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any age restrictions.
In SA you can't buy grog in supermarkets, but you can buy tins of homebrew.
There are places in Australia where alcohol is illegal and also if supermarket was selling to very young children that possibly could be illegal but i think if you look adult there not going to ask for proof of age.

In some Aboriginal communities, purpose made home brew kits are illegal - for example Kowanyama where my daughter in law ran the store a couple of years ago.

varies from community to community.

A maximum of 190 penalty units (currently $23,161) will apply to offenders who:
  • possess a homebrew kit or a component of a homebrew kit
  • possess equipment or a component of equipment that is being used or has been used to brew alcohol
  • possess homebrew concentrate
  • supply homemade alcohol to another person in the restricted area.
Apartheid anyone?

Bribie G said:
In some Aboriginal communities, purpose made home brew kits are illegal - for example Kowanyama where my daughter in law ran the store a couple of years ago.

• possess equipment or a component of equipment that is being used or has been used to brew alcohol
Apartheid anyone?
Is tomato paste a big seller.

Bribie G said:

Apartheid anyone?
That's f*cked.

The laws vary between states, but generally 'liquor' is a beverage containing >0.5% alcohol. In WA and SA at least this also includes other alcoholic forms like frozen goods and essences. As home brew kits do not contain alcohol, no restrictions apply that I'm aware of. This might seem counter-intuitive but any 15 year old can buy sugar and yeast and make alcohol if they want. Hell, they can buy apple juice and make a cider if they have yeast and some patience.
To be honest when I was 16 and wanting to get hold of booze I didn't even consider home brew. In my case though this was because I lived at home and a fermenter is a tough thing to him in one's bedroom.
I don't see a need to legislate it, though it'll only take one drunk teen in an underprivileged area to incite an immediate knee-jerk reaction from the Government, taxing and restricting sales of all products containing sugar and yeast. Go nanny state.

off topic a bit

.I have a mate who works fly in for the mines. on the job he's on now there is only light beer as they had too much trouble and you get 4 a day. bringing spritis or whatever into camp is banned as well

he told me that a bunch of people brew their own in their cabins in buckets with orange juice,honey and sugar .He said its pretty gross and he just doesnt drink while h'es away, but I'm sure he has the odd one

So what you're saying is, there is a market for sneaky secret home brew kits amongst the diminishing mining boom..

Why would kids bother with K&K when Listerine and nutmeg is freely available?

What could be sinister about wanting fresh breath whilst dusting custard tarts?

Nutmeg, yeah from memory it takes about 2 tablespooms to be lethal.

Dave70 said:
Why would kids bother with K&K when Listerine and nutmeg is freely available?

What could be sinister about wanting fresh breath whilst dusting custard tarts?
That nutmeg is expensive and Listerine make sure to buy the correct type it does not all have alcohol content.

Bribie G said:

Apartheid anyone?
No. Definately not. Those laws in specific communities is for EVERYONE Even us white folk

And there is a damn good reason as to why they have them

I remember a year or so ago a Politician and public servants flew into a remote community in QLD and had grog with them. They got hauled over the coals for it

Ducatiboy stu said:
No. Definately not. Those laws in specific communities is for EVERYONE Even us white folk

And there is a damn good reason as to why they have them

I remember a year or so ago a Politician and public servants flew into a remote community in QLD and had grog with them. They got hauled over the coals for it
No need for hombrew.
My old man has been doing yearly fishing trips of and on for about the last twenty years, most often round the Gove Peninsula and Melville island areas.
There's also quite a few local 'entrepreneurs' bringing sly grog back into dry communities who would also benefit greatly from some literal over the coals hauling.
The moral fiber of a tic some people.

mtb said:
This stuff is 35% alc and is readily purchasable at Woolies
http://queen.com.au/product/natural-lemon-extract-50ml/

Three bottles of that & some Fanta and you've got yourself a party!
That would burn your stomach out...... but back in the old days, talking around 1995, Queen Vanilla Essence was the same strength as Bundaberg rum and was really cheap. You could even get a 200ml "hip flask" of the stuff for about $3 and yes I actually used to drink it, a slug in a can of pepsi and it was awesome - you walked around smelling like a custard tart for a day or so.
Another trick was to put a couple of the small bottles into a Macdonalds Vanilla thick shake and it made the liqueur that God drinks, far better than Advocaat or Baitz Island Cream.
Ingredients, alcohol, water, natural vanilla, sugar, so why indeed not.

Ahhhh

However too many people got onto it, and they voluntarily increased the price of a small bottle to over $5 so that loophole got closed off.

Back