Where do you find recipes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoxR

Reaction score
New to brewing and have only just brewed something that was not directly of the recipe database here, even though it was the AHB data base that gave me the idea for a schwarzbier.
Anyway what I like about the recipes here is the feedback and that is normally how I choose. I have just purchased BeerSmith and am still getting my head around it all. I do want to long term be able to create a recipe of my own but for now I am more than happy just following tried and true recipes to make reasonable beer and just work on my process.
I used the cloud search for an American Amber Ale and found plenty but it is hard to pick from just a recipe without loads of knowledge and experience.
So where do you people find recipes from?

Just choose some from the data base that you like the look of to start with, when you start wanting to create your own this book is very handy http://www.brewerspublications.com/books/brewing-better-beer-master-lessons-for-advanced-homebrewers-3/
I have all the usual suspects in the book department and this has been the most useful, with radical brewing coming in 2nd. Although the title suggests it is for advanced homebrewers I don't think that's actually the case as it is pretty simple stuff.

Find a beer you really like, look for the 'clone' recipe (don't expect to clone it, just think of the general proximity), then tweak the recipe on the next brew and find out what different yeasts do, different base malts, different specialties etc etc. Like many things in life, brewing experience is only gained from experience - smash out a heap of beers and learn from getting blood, err, beer on your hands. Recipe design and anticipation of the end result is at least %36.98723 of the fun for me.

edit: and follow the above advice also...but don't forget to brew. Theory ain't praxis.

Read read read research drink eat research.
Then brew, brew, brew.
Drink share repeat.
More drinking and brewing and researching.
My first move away from K=K was a SNPA clone.
From then on I use my own knowledge to make my own recipes.
Much better fun, much better results.
Love it.

Thanks,
OK loads of reading to come, I understand that if I want to design beers.
Right now I am just finding my feet as I have only ever done all grain BIAB so even fermenting is a learning curve for me right now. And just following a recipe right now is allowing me to get my process sorted.
My problem is that outside of AHB I am not comfortable just picking a beer to brew.

Great stuff thanks, that will be my next brew I think

I find it impossible to follow recipes and have given up trying to.

Start with a base malt(like pale) and do a SMaSH, build on it by adding something like a bit of Munich, wheat, spec malts, roast, etc. Just a bit at a time so you can gauge what each brings to the party.

From there, you can tweak recipes to suit yourself

Enjoy

Latest posts

Back