Whats Your Favourite Snack With Your Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beef Jerky seems popular fourstar & axl how do you eat it is it like chewing tobacco.

pumpy :)

Make your own.... but how?

My mates love beef jerky and it'd be amazing for them to come over for homebrew beer and beef jerky

Pizza, mostly Hawaiian. I suppose that could also be a meal not a snack :huh:

If not, any cheese and bickies among mates, I suppose thats an experience not a snack :huh:

Make your own.... but how?

My mates love beef jerky and it'd be amazing for them to come over for homebrew beer and beef jerky

I do mine the wy my Grandfather did his, in the oven at the very minimum setting I can. The trick is to prop the door open at the top just an itty bit with a wooden spoon. You don't want it to hot or it will cook rather than dry.

For a batch, I just buy a whole round or topside. Put it in the freezer to just set it, this makes it easier to slice it uniformly and thinly. I cut my slices about 2 mm thick, the whole size of the round, across the grain of the meat. Then I marinate them to the below recipe and then put them in the oven to dry.

3- 4 kg whole round or topside
1/2 cup soy sauce per kilo meat
1/4 cup worster sauce per kilo meat
tbsp salt per kilo meat
tsp pepper per kilo meat
tbsp honey per kilo meat
juice of an orange per kilo of meat
1 small red chilli
tbsp brown sugar

You have to pick a lean piece of meat. If the meat has any fat on it, trim it off. If you don't this will be the first thing to go rancid. Mine usually dries in 3-4 hours. Sometimes longer. It's a bit of guess work here. Once its dry, you can cut it up with kitchen scissors into bite size bits and store in an airtight container. If you can make it last more than a month without eating it, good luck to you.

Jerky here, I used to buy it from the local butcher, but now I make mine with the seasonings you can get from The Country Brewer, it turns out bloody good, I highly recommend the hickory flavour with a pinch of chilli. Got 2kg marinating in the fridge right now.

cheers

Browndog

Cellery and carrot sticks, or if I am feeling like a blow out Alphalpha Sprouts wraps (in lettuce)

Im trying this on the weekend foh sure

I love jerky, and would much rather make my own and know what seasonings and meat are in it, then buy already made jerky

sounds very similar to something else which i love...... :beer:

Cheers, Sponge

Celery and carrot with beer?

Sorry about that. Thats what I will be eating with my Soda water in July.
I love Dark Chocolate or a strong cheese with water crackers.
See its not our beer making us fat, its all the other crap.

First things first, Nice work Schooey that is a pisser of a effort mate. :D
My old man was a butcher for about 50 years and he made the best Kabana. Nothing better than kabana and cheese and a few pints of Amber ale.

Have merged this with an older thread.

Have to say mine is still the peanut.

cheers
johnno

A sort of beer mix containing rice snacks and wasabi broad beans. The broad beans are what make it and can be had from the Royal Nut Company in Brunswick.

Failing that, plain salted potato chips - crinkle cut. Perhaps with Yumi's egg salad dip. Occasionally I don't mind corn relish or even a beetroot dip.

Failing that, chocolate - either Lindt 85% dark or Cadbury white.

Failing that, more beer.

Im trying this on the weekend foh sure

I love jerky, and would much rather make my own and know what seasonings and meat are in it, then buy already made jerky

sounds very similar to something else which i love...... :beer:

Cheers, Sponge

Just a note on that, and as Browndog has mentioned, you need some marinating time. I like at least 24 hours, it gives the salt time to cure the meat and will save you troubles later with it going off early

Just a note on that, and as Browndog has mentioned, you need some marinating time. I like at least 24 hours, it gives the salt time to cure the meat and will save you troubles later with it going off early

Don't you worry about that

When i'm not at uni (or soccer, but recently had a knee reco so dont need to worry about that for a while), im watching cooking shows or trying to get sum homebrew recipes together/made

Im just about as excited to give beef jerky a go as i am at putting my first wheat beer down tomorrow

Cheers, Sponge

Latest posts

Back