What's the weirdest brewing set up you have seen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James85

Reaction score
So I was doing a job at this old guys place a while back and he fermented his beer in old broccoli eskies with a wet towel over the top. Then used a hand syphon to bottle his brew. Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of anything as unusual/weird as this?

That's how my father used to do it,they were partial mash then just with malt extract out of the supermarket, bakers yeast and a tea towel thrown over the top. His booster brew as he called was poured straight over the the cake after syphoning the previous brew off it, and the grain was smashed with a rolling pin. I actually preferred his booster brew. Oh yes and the hops were dried hop flowers.

Search on here for bucket of death or similar. Scary stuff.

When I was in high school in the 1960s, mate's family had a holiday cottage in the Scottish Lowlands in a town called Newcastleton (streetview it) and a gang of us went there for 2 weeks free of charge, while we were waiting for our A level results. The cottage had one of these:

baby burco.jpg

It was what they had before washing machines, you could boil nappies and linen in it. Burco still trades, and I guess Birko ripped off the name.

We faced the awful prospect of running out of money to drink at the pub so we went to the nearest big town (Hawick in Southern Scotland) and bought a few kilos of liquid malt extract from Boots the Chemist, some bread yeast and got some hops from a chemist. My Dad had brewed since WW2 so I knew what to do.

We had a boil up and drank the stuff straight out of the tap after about six days. It was vile. Mate Gavin shit himself and wouldn't come out of the wardrobe, we dragged him out and threw him into the river. Cops got called by neighbours. Ah, youth :lol:

I searched for bucket of death twice got a rodent killing bucket using google search and your post using the ahb search. What is the bucket of death?

OT!

Search tip 5.4 part b.

You need to use the combo move search when searching AHB.

Put aussiehomebrewer.com: Before what you want to search - in google.

So try:

aussiehomebrewer.com: bucket of death

In the google search bar.

Cheers

Ah ok now it's working cheers Cocko. Now I know why it's called a bucket of death lol

All right own up, now I want to hear from every one who has taken on the bucket of death and survived. Or were there no survivors.

Ive used a bucket of death as my HLT for years and im still here. Not problems whatsoever.

If I can remember how to post a pic I will

Cheers
Steve

(BABBs system wars brew day at Ross's)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG

I use an over the side element in it.
Cheers
Steve

James85 said:
I searched for bucket of death twice got a rodent killing bucket using google search and your post using the ahb search. What is the bucket of death?

timmyf said:
got a rodent killing bucket
During the great mouse plague of ought eleven, place I worked used only "humane" mouse traps. Humane my arse, if you left three mice in there for more than a day or so you'd find one mouse was a half eaten corpse, one mouse was very fat and one mouse was looking very stressed.

I appointed myself mouse trap clearer: each morning I'd empty all the traps into a 25 litre bucket, take it down to the tank farm and jet it with the CO2 snow machine which made them into mousicles in about ten seconds. Inevitably it got christened the bucket of death

Before the war I used to ferment my beer in galvanised garbage cans covered by old tea towels. We didn't sanitise in those days but I never made a bad batch as I would always wipe the rim of the can with the onion I wore on my belt, which was the fashion at the time.

The worst I've seen was a couple of cordial bottles hidden in the back of the compressor cavity of a fridge, one filled with a mix of water and fruit, the other with some shite which might have been once vegemite or sumting. Mid 30degree days and warmth overnight from the fridge with a little baking yeast to help along and yes, a perfect storm.

Latest posts

Back