What's In The Perfect Brewing Shed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkey7

Reaction score
I'm on the verge of a massive upgrade of my brewing equipment. Currently I have a rudimentry single batch size all grain setup. I'm gonna upgrade size and bling soon.

Recently, I have been given a green light to build a shed for "all that brewing stuff". :super:

A few hrs of research later on what kind of shed I can fit in certain locations on my NOT so huge property........

It struck me that perhaps I better find out the essentials for a dedicated brewing shed before throwing one together willy nilly..

So far I'm thinking:

Water and Power would be a good start.
A nice big tub for cleaning.
Good ventilation (via big doors or ceiling).
A long wide work bench or dedicated brewing stand for the gear.
Storage shelves.
I'm also thinking insulation so I can actually leave bottled beer, grain and my no chill cubes in there.

My kegerator and other fridges are inside with my bar....But I'll probably have a bar fridge in the shed to hold hops, yeast and a few Quality Control beers.

Could you guys help me by showing me your perfect setup or suggesting what I need for my new dedicated area.

Thanks in advance PB :icon_cheers:

PS - Sqyre, I can't go that big man.

Spa (Sqyre hasn't got one).
Walk in cool room.
Rain water tanks.
TV - to wait for the mashing to happen.

Range hood, over your boils.
Concrete floor with center drainage.

Concrete floor with center drainage.

Definatly!

Even just a lower area with a drain in the corner where you can hose everything out.

Beer on tap would be a high priority for me, sterio, tv (soon to put one in my garage), hard plumbed gas, power, water.

Insulation and aircon for the summer months! Brewing in a 40+ deg shed isnt fun

the list is almost infinate isnt it........ buget is the factor.

cheers

This would be on my wish list.

1* fixed gas and water plumbing.
2* fitted out 15amp power/electrical
3* overhead range hood and ventilation.
4* cool room
5* 1 temp controlled fermenting room for ales and 1 for lagers.
6* temp controlled warm room/cabinet for bottle conditioning.
7* Concrete slopped flooring with drainage points.
8* Grain storage area.
9* Rain water tank.
10* Stainless steel sink and bench area.

that will do for now :p

I think Devo's got it wrapped up, the only thing I'd possibly add is a laminar flow hood with a HEPA filter for when you're building up the yeast starters.
The essentials if you're starting from scratch though would have to be, power, running water and drainage. If it's not a real big shed then some kind of ventilation, all others are optional depending on your budget.

An industrial sized grain mill somewhere in there. One with hopper big enough to chuck a whole bag of grain in and will get through it without a trouble.

I'm on the verge of a massive upgrade of my brewing equipment. Currently I have a rudimentry single batch size all grain setup. I'm gonna upgrade size and bling soon.

Recently, I have been given a green light to build a shed for "all that brewing stuff". :super:

A few hrs of research later on what kind of shed I can fit in certain locations on my NOT so huge property........

It struck me that perhaps I better find out the essentials for a dedicated brewing shed before throwing one together willy nilly..

So far I'm thinking:

Storage shelves.
I'm also thinking insulation so I can actually leave bottled beer, grain and my no chill cubes in there.

My kegerator and other fridges are inside with my bar....But I'll probably have a bar fridge in the shed to hold hops, yeast and a few Quality Control beers.

Could you guys help me by showing me your perfect setup or suggesting what I need for my new dedicated area.

i have pics of my setup in my shed but i do not know how to post them here.
i only know how to turn the computer on and find this site basically.
so if someone call tell me how to get them from "my pictures" to here it would be appreciated. :unsure: ........cheers......spog..........

Good Lighting
Large Bench
SS Laundry Tub with Water
Shelving
Fridge/Freezer
Stereo of some description
Topless Beerwench :icon_chickcheers: with absolutely no morals ( optional )

Click to add a reply

go to the bottom right and find the buttin that says Browse, click it.

Find the picture file on you computer and double click it. Make sure its not a huge 5 meg pic.

Now click the green upload button next to the browse button.

Easy

cheers

P1010064.JPG[P1010064.JPG[attachment=20691
:p1010064.JPG]

So far I'm thinking:

Storage shelves.

the brew room is behind the white door,store room on the right.brew room is 3.0m wide,1.8m deep.
fermenters on the right,electric hws, long sink with drain boards over top.
then in the rhs an old ss laundry tub with shelving etc.

Attachments

• P1010065.JPG
    P1010065.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 51
  • P1010066.JPG
    P1010066.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 79

Attachments

• P1010067.JPG
    P1010067.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 49
  • P1010068.JPG
    P1010068.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 82
  • P1010070.JPG
    P1010070.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 31
tv and stereo (must haves) pot belly stove out of shot.
and the dunny.

P1010071.JPG

P1010072.JPG

This would be on my wish list.

1* fixed gas and water plumbing.
2* fitted out 15amp power/electrical
3* overhead range hood and ventilation.
4* cool room
5* 1 temp controlled fermenting room for ales and 1 for lagers.
6* temp controlled warm room/cabinet for bottle conditioning.
7* Concrete slopped flooring with drainage points.
8* Grain storage area.
9* Rain water tank.
10* Stainless steel sink and bench area.

that will do for now :p

Good one devo.
I would include a dedicated 20amp line if a HERMES setup is being considered. :)

TP :beer:

Groovey setup Spog...
PB if your going to get a 20amp feed to your shed find out what the max available from your supply is.
A small upgrade shouldn't cost much more...
i have 35amps running to mine at the moment....

Sqyre.. :icon_cheers:

Groovey setup Spog...
PB if your going to get a 20amp feed to your shed find out what the max available from your supply is.
A small upgrade shouldn't cost much more...
i have 40amps running to mine at the moment....

Sqyre.. :icon_cheers:
??????

I'm on the fence again.

1700 bucks for a 4m X 2.5M stratco and a long extension cord from external power point , plus hose from house into HLT are sounding alot cheaper than building the mega-brewery at this stage..

Will keep you posted as plans progress.

I think I need to check out some setups.....Mothballs is working on one at the moment, I haven't been down your way yet Sqyre.....AND I only had a quick look at Jye Gadgets...

I need to harden up and plan the mega brewery....

PB :party:

Latest posts

Back