Converting from gas to electric kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct but as far as I know here in NZ the next step from a 16 amp outlet is a 32 amp one. Doesn't matter if you are only drawing 20 amps if it's a 32 amp outlet the wiring has to capable of handling that current. I could quite possibly be wrong so can you please explain how you get 20A or 25A circuits? Are the hardwired perhaps?

You are correct but as far as I know here in NZ the next step from a 16 amp outlet is a 32 amp one. Doesn't matter if you are only drawing 20 amps if it's a 32 amp outlet the wiring has to capable of handling that current. I could quite possibly be wrong so can you please explain how you get 20A or 25A circuits? Are the hardwired perhaps?
Standard 2.5mm will do 20amp (depending on run length) however you would probably trip it using a 4800w element with a 20amp RCBO/MCB/RCD etc if you want a 25amp RCBO/MCB/RCD you need to go to 4mm cable

You can get 20amp outlets they are larger then a standard 10amp, normal 10amp and 15amp plugs will go into them

They are a larger Active, Neutral and earth, 15amp is just a larger earth

Standard 2.5mm will do 20amp (depending on run length) however you would probably trip it using a 4800w element with a 20amp RCBO/MCB/RCD etc if you want a 25amp RCBO/MCB/RCD you need to go to 4mm cable

You can get 20amp outlets they are larger then a standard 10amp, normal 10amp and 15amp plugs will go into them

They are a larger Active, Neutral and earth, 15amp is just a larger earth
Ok that's interesting thanks for that. Must admit I've never seen a 20A outlet but then again have never looked for one. Interestingly while we share the same electrical code some things are different. We do use the 15A ones but they are not common more likely the 16A European type same as 32A. I'm not worried the 3.6kw element is going to any amount big enough for me.

Picture pinched from Wikipedia.

330px-Australian_mains_socket_styles_for_different_current_ratings.jpg

In Australian and NZ, we work off the same standard, the AS/NZ:3000.

A 10A circuit is usually used for lighting. So it’d be rare to find a 10A outlet protected by a 10A CB.

Power circuits: old practice was to put these on an 16A CB but is more common on a 20A now.

Common circuit breaker sizer are 10A, 16A, 20A, 25A, 32A, 40A, 50A, 63A and the list goes on :)

In Australian and NZ, we work off the same standard, the AS/NZ:3000.

A 10A circuit is usually used for lighting. So it’d be rare to find a 10A outlet protected by a 10A CB.

Power circuits: old practice was to put these on an 16A CB but is more common on a 20A now.

Common circuit breaker sizer are 10A, 16A, 20A, 25A, 32A, 40A, 50A, 63A and the list goes on :)
Yes you learn something every day, I googled after the last post and found that same image and that they are distributed in the NZ market as well. Never ever seen any of the 20, 25 or 32 amp ones and only the odd 15 amp. Our caravans and motorhomes all use the 16 amp connections with the round pins and anyone who wants more power usually has the 32 amp version. Much more robust and definitely better in an industrial situation. Thanks for the info.
Without this conversation getting out of hand, What is your take on cable size? I have 16A cables which are 1.5mm and am assured are fine but when I run my 3kw element, which is 12A ish, on a 2.5mm cable the cable gets warm. From what I understand this means there is resistance which must mean there is voltage drop and given that our voltage is probably not 240 anyway means I am not getting the full potential from the element. Next time I will measure the voltage at both ends of the cable while under load just to make sure, might be negligible but when I get around to installing the 3.6kw element could be worse. TBH I am more used to working with 12V and voltage drop here is very real if the cable size is not adequate.
Anyway thanks for the information.

Without this conversation getting out of hand, What is your take on cable size? I have 16A cables which are 1.5mm and am assured are fine but when I run my 3kw element, which is 12A ish, on a 2.5mm cable the cable gets warm. From what I understand this means there is resistance which must mean there is voltage drop and given that our voltage is probably not 240 anyway means I am not getting the full potential from the element. Next time I will measure the voltage at both ends of the cable while under load just to make sure, might be negligible but when I get around to installing the 3.6kw element could be worse.

1.5mm cable on a 16A breaker is pretty dodgy haha I’m a licensed sparky but far from an engineer :)

You can’t change the resistance of a load (or the cables that you’re using for that matter) which means if you’re using a 3000w element at 230V, you’re drawing 13A. Voltage definitely drops under load so you could possibly be working with voltage lower than 225V, which would increase you current draw. Not as far as 16A though. Couple that with the resistance of 1.5mm cable it will definitely get warm, not enough to start a fire though :)

I was running 3600w heating elements on 15amp extension cords with 1.5mm wire cables and it very quickly burnt through them.
If it’s directly connected to heating elements, two sparkies have said you will want 2.5mm wiring, if it’s connected to the brewzilla 65L then you should be fine.

I have been running a 10 mtr 15-amp extension lead to the brewzilla and it is working well. Just keep the plugs clean and dry, no issues.

1.5mm cable on a 16A breaker is pretty dodgy haha I’m a licensed sparky but far from an engineer :)

You can’t change the resistance of a load (or the cables that you’re using for that matter) which means if you’re using a 3000w element at 230V, you’re drawing 13A. Voltage definitely drops under load so you could possibly be working with voltage lower than 225V, which would increase you current draw. Not as far as 16A though. Couple that with the resistance of 1.5mm cable it will definitely get warm, not enough to start a fire though :)
Sorry just to be clear the cable that was operating the 3kw element was 2.5mm and it was just getting warm, not enough to cause any concern but never the less warm. The 1.5mm cable is one I purchased premade for my motor home, the chance for it to ever draw 16A is so remote I'm not bothered. It's on a 16A circuit so breaker more than 16A.
Even though I've had sparkys and electrical wholesalers say 1.5mm is fine I think I will steer clear of it for these higher continuous loads.
Should also say I am referring to extension cables. Permanent wiring is 2.5mm for power.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back