Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my first pils malt APA - think i'll stick with it

sharper for sure, esp with Sticklebract in the keg! hazy dayz and very citrusy...and me likey

in order of appearance:
Magnum @ 60
Galaxy @ 30
Nelson Sauvin 25%/Mosaic 75% @ 0 WHirlpool
Sticklebract Keg Hopped

droid said:
my first pils malt APA - think i'll stick with it

sharper for sure, esp with Sticklebract in the keg! hazy dayz and very citrusy...and me likey

in order of appearance:
Magnum @ 60
Galaxy @ 30
Nelson Sauvin 25%/Mosaic 75% @ 0 WHirlpool
Sticklebract Keg Hopped

Wow.

Good start to a 3 week holiday

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1474629078.137820.jpg

bradmccoy said:
This look great. Is it 100% pils malt?
It's 92.7% pils
5.3% carapils
2% glad field sheppards delight

The light made it look more of a gold where it's a bit more copper coloured.

technobabble66 said:
The blinding glare from all of the stainless steel made it look more of a gold where it's a bit more copper coloured.
FTFY
:ph34r:
I too noticed the sneaky bling placement in the photo. Dastardly Contrivance, and hey, there's a name for a beer.

Rum oaked porter
maris
Victory
aromatic
heritage crystal.
choc (light and dark) and a shade of black. Maris is the only malt measured (by brew shop), the remainder is estimated pours.

Challenger estimated pour to estimated 35 ibu with around 10g estimated at whirlpool.
1469 slurry.

French oak toasted, then soaked in bacardi for a week or so, added to cube.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1474697958.826666.jpg
7.4% IPA.
Bairds Ale Malt
Magnum at 90 min. Citra and Chinook at 10,whirlpool and dry hopped. Burton ale yeast. Only been kegged for a week but tasting very nice. Cheers

manticle said:
Rum oaked porter
maris
Victory
aromatic
heritage crystal.
choc (light and dark) and a shade of black. Maris is the only malt measured (by brew shop), the remainder is estimated pours.
Challenger estimated pour to estimated 35 ibu with around 10g estimated at whirlpool.
1469 slurry.
French oak toasted, then soaked in bacardi for a week or so, added to cube.
Woops.
Meant to be in the 'what are you brewing?' thread.

Similarly estimated apa with cascade and styrians in the glass.

Relaxing after a hard day of 4 yo birthday partying.

American Brown
78% Ale malt
15% Brown
7% Light xtal

Meant to showcase Idaho #6.

36 ibu with NB for bittering, Ella, Idaho #6 & NB late, Ahtanum, Ella & Idaho #6 in the cube and cascade & Idaho 6 dry hopped.

Big pitch of WL Burton Ale yeast 11 days days ago, cleared with gelatin. Was drinking this two days ago... About the fastest turnaround so far.

Not quite as brown as I would have expected, seems like the Baird's brown is a lot lighter than the Simpsons brown I'm used to.

1474788798321.jpg

Mardoo said:
Baird's definitely is lighter. How would you characterise the Ahtanum?
I did a smash with it a while ago, it's very citrus, but more citrus peel than fruit. Less harsh than grapefruit peel, less flavoursome then orange, more like kumquot. Not great by itself but will pair very well with floral or fruity hops. Just make sure you are not bittering with a high cohumulone level hop, otherwise the Ahtanum will accentuate the perceived bitterness.

(Hence its addition as a cube/aroma hop)

I tried one or two of my latest three kegs on tap during yesterday's brew day, being a Bohemian Pilsner, English Bitter and an APA brewed with Super Galena hops.

Bo Pils in the first pic, another successful brewing of this recipe. Seems to be getting better with more time in the fridge even though it had been sitting in the keg for about 5 or 6 weeks before being put into the fridge. Should be tops for my party on Sunday.

Second pic is the English Bitter, this time around it has turned out much better than my last attempt, which was far too sweet. This one is still a little on the sweet side, so next time I might increase the hops a bit. They are a bit old so maybe have lost some of their bittering capabilities.

Third is the APA, which initially displayed a sort of banana aroma and strange sort of phenolic flavour, however this seems to be slowly dissipating and I'm hoping it is pretty much completely gone by Sunday as it is a pretty shitty flavour and definitely not wanted in this style. I suspect the yeast might be at the point of too many re-uses and needing to be replaced.

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

Pale Ale with BB Pale, Oz dark crystal, Sticklebract @60min, Citra and Cascade @10min, Dry hopped with Galaxy. One of my favourite brews to date :)

20160922_184521.jpg

tried the M function - took a bazillion photos, hmmn

anyway dammit 1 keg down 1 to go - Pils malt APA as in other pic but 1 and a bit (.25) grams to the liter of both Sticklebract and Mosaic so 48gms in a 19ltr keg

dry-hopped today, I'll say it's hop haze because I'm a proud man, hehe. It's def a punchy APA

Learn to manual droid, it's real photography (or would be if you had to process it).
Hypocritically, here's a phone photo of my American Stout:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475143788.627553.jpg
Brewed it from a book recipe (never had one before and was interested to see how they tasted). Lots of crystal and little roast, and I thought to myself it didn't look roasty enough - but maybe that's the style. Lots of late hops (chinook and Amarillo) and again thought it seemed hoppy for a stout. Whatever, Yanks love overdone hops, pitched it on a strong APA yeast cake of 1272 and kegged for great justice. A month or two later and it's pretty smooth. Not ballsy, lacks roast I'd like in a stout and quite hoppy. Easy enough to knock back for the strength but yeah, doesn't have the kick I'd like. Maybe that's the style?
Entered it in the NSW comp in the strong stout section and was mid placed. Remarks were that it wasn't roasty enough and too hop foward.

Back