Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I'm done. This is my lager that I've been threatening to do with mangrove jacks California lager yeast. Absolutely gob smacked. This baby has all the nose and malt you'd expect from any euro pils/lager. Just blown away. 19C all the way. 2 days kegged. Looking forward to a months lagering to see what comes of it. I see no need to go back to liquids, build up numbers in a starter etc.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1476605253.316274.jpg

mckenry said:
Wow. I'm done. This is my lager that I've been threatening to do with mangrove jacks California lager yeast. Absolutely gob smacked. This baby has all the nose and malt you'd expect from any euro pils/lager. Just blown away. 19C all the way. 2 days kegged. Looking forward to a months lagering to see what comes of it. I see no need to go back to liquids, build up numbers in a starter etc.
attachicon.gif
Nice Work.

I've found that too with correct techniques for dry yeast handling/rehydrating and using O2 Im getting healthy viable yeast that is performing very well, attenuating and clean.

Pratty1 said:
Nice Work.

I've found that too with correct techniques for dry yeast handling/rehydrating and using O2 Im getting healthy viable yeast that is performing very well, attenuating and clean.
:icon_offtopic: for Whats in the glass, but adding o2 to dry yeast is not recommended. In fact it can slow the lag time. Dry yeast is packed with everything it needs. I rehydrate dry yeast at about 0.8g/L. Pitch into wort that has not had oxygen added other than the inevitable during transfer. Always get to expected gravity.

mckenry said:
attachicon.gif
awesome mate. any fruit on the nose from the yeast, or super clean?

mckenry said:
:icon_offtopic: for Whats in the glass, but adding o2 to dry yeast is not recommended. In fact it can slow the lag time. Dry yeast is packed with everything it needs. I rehydrate dry yeast at about 0.8g/L. Pitch into wort that has not had oxygen added other than the inevitable during transfer. Always get to expected gravity.
Definitely OT. I found the opposite over the years of only adding O2 with liquid yeast and none with Dry yeast based on the same information you just posted.

Without 02, dry yeast lag was >24hrs which was always of concern and with O2 the lag time was ~ 12-15hrs

In order to get this back on topic

Its Citra XPA

InstagramCapture_94ea7032-2cbd-4e00-87bc-804bf4fe0336.jpg

6% and 50Ibu

50% Ale, 35% Wheat, 15% Rolled Oats, mashed @ 63c for 70mins

Citra FWH, 10m, WP and double dry hopped.

Pungent from a meter away, Dry and Freakishly Tasty!

fletcher said:
awesome mate. any fruit on the nose from the yeast, or super clean?
No fruit. Its hard to describe other than the smell you get when you pop the lid off a heineken or grolsch or something over that way ;)
As soon as I smelt it, I was instantly reminded off swigging out of a green bottle. Its malty and possibly the tiniest bit of sulphur, but definitely inviting, not off-putting. Just very very Euro lager.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1477034776.125938.jpg

One of the taps was pouring foam so I had to troubleshoot using all the carbed beer on hand.

Left to right: summer ale, dodgy bitter, amber ale.

The last bottle of Patersbier I brewed for the case swap. Really hits the mark for my tastes, 3787 Trappist high gravity is a brilliant yeast.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1477038118.865491.jpg

Pratty1 said:
Definitely OT. I found the opposite over the years of only adding O2 with liquid yeast and none with Dry yeast based on the same information you just posted.

Without 02, dry yeast lag was >24hrs which was always of concern and with O2 the lag time was ~ 12-15hrs

In order to get this back on topic

Its Citra XPA

attachicon.gif
InstagramCapture_94ea7032-2cbd-4e00-87bc-804bf4fe0336.jpg

6% and 50Ibu

50% Ale, 35% Wheat, 15% Rolled Oats, mashed @ 63c for 70mins

Citra FWH, 10m, WP and double dry hopped.

Pungent from a meter away, Dry and Freakishly Tasty!
Interesting

Unmalted wheat?

Hey Mr Wiggman,
Gonna brew your Patersbier in about a month, using my last vial Wyeast 3739 Flanders Golden Ale that I have in the freezer. Should be ready to use the cake for the westy 12 swap brew.

poured this for a visitor today which they seemingly enjoyed - who really knows? hehe

50/50 pils/wheat
coriander, lemon, lime and mandarin zest
small amount of magnum
US05

not bad

droid said:
poured this for a visitor today which they seemingly enjoyed - who really knows? hehe

50/50 pils/wheat
coriander, lemon, lime and mandarin zest
small amount of magnum
US05

not bad
Looks nice mate. Isn't it funny when you pour a visitor a home brew and they sit there and tell you how nice it is and your sitting there trying to figure out if they're genuine or really thinking, " this is shithouse, I wonder if he's got a carlton draught in that beer fridge". [emoji13]

VP Brewing said:
Hey Mr Wiggman,
Gonna brew your Patersbier in about a month, using my last vial Wyeast 3739 Flanders Golden Ale that I have in the freezer. Should be ready to use the cake for the westy 12 swap brew.
Keen to hear how different it is, so many yeasts out there and not enough time.

PS: The new Wyeast site is bullshit, I'm sick of websites assuming everyone uses tablets.

Back