Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, someone needs to go next, I'll do it, but my photos are crayon sketches next to the above. But the taste, well, that's there.

Red saison. 50l batch, split between 1272 and belle saison. I prefer the saison. Will do another tomorrow, reckon half saison and half Nottingham

View attachment 92734

Mr B said:
Ok, someone needs to go next, I'll do it, but my photos are crayon sketches next to the above. But the taste, well, that's there.

Red saison. 50l batch, split between 1272 and belle saison. I prefer the saison. Will do another tomorrow, reckon half saison and half Nottingham

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1478340124.719832.jpg
If that is a crayon sketch, they were some expensive crayons placed in the hands of a good artist... Looks delicious.

English Sweet Stout. All Thomas Fawcett base, Simpsons Black for the roast, Gladfields light and dark chocolate. Fuggles early and not much.

Manual focus hit the stainless... less so the beer. But tis OK just this time.

IMG_2447.jpg

You mean 'icing pan' :). Mini kegs covered with ice cubes and a bed of ice around the base - 'tis a beautiful thing. [emoji16]

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1478599167.829814.jpg
Wiggman's Aussie Pilsner *shudder*.
All malt JW pils with a dash of roast barley. PoR for bittering and a hit of Saaz at whirlpool. Whitelabs Mexican Lager yeast for a 1.008 finish. 5 weeks in the keg and it's a drinking beer thank you very much. The perfect balance between malt, hops and flavourlessness. Dangerous on tap, tastes better the more of it I have.

TheWiggman said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1478599167.829814.jpg
Wiggman's Aussie Pilsner *shudder*.
All malt JW pils with a dash of roast barley. PoR for bittering and a hit of Saaz at whirlpool. Whitelabs Mexican Lager yeast for a 1.008 finish. 5 weeks in the keg and it's a drinking beer thank you very much. The perfect balance between malt, hops and flavourlessness. Dangerous on tap, tastes better the more of it I have.
don't be bashful or embarrassed about that type of beer mate - unless you actually hate it haha. those types of beers where what a lot of us all started drinking, and i still fancy also from time to time (especially in the heat!). if i had to guess, it is a reschs-ish kinda beer? :)

Looking at that beer makes me thirsty will have to give it a wirl

How much roast barley 50g ? if you dont mind me asking

I used 15g of black patent in my XXXX Bitter rip off and it turned out about the same color, if that helps. Just pale malt and that, plus the obligatory cane sugar.

How dare you ask! 20g, puts the slightest bit of roast which comes across more as a grainy malt than a stout-like roast. Also darkens as per rocker.
I say shudder because there's no such thing as an Aussie pils, just like there's no such thing as a session IPA. It's a bastardisation of an existing style and it pains me a little to call it that. HOWEVER, it's a pilsner in the sense that it uses pils malt and saaz, and so comes across pils-like without the Euro aroma and grain. It's similar to a Resch's Pilsener but with less presence of what I suspect is PoR. And believe it or not I don't mind the Resch's.
As ideal as it is I would be inclined to try a different yeast. Mexican Lager WLP940 seems to lack any real personality but for something like a Corona that's what you want. I only used it because it was the only one in stock locally. Otherwise, maybe 2124 or 2042 which is always a winner. People tend to diss lagers and might be inclined to think they're all the same (clean, light, crisp etc.) but each has its own style it better suits. A yeast I wouldn't recommend for this is 2001.

I'm getting all keen for summer and I do like brewing - and drinking - lagers, regardless of people's impression of said fizzy horse urine.

Black Sheep Ale Clone
Haven't nailed it but it's close. To be truthful, I prefer the real thing but after a few tweaks I think mine will hold it's own.
The real thing is more malty whereas mine is more hoppy.

phpaXLp3oPM.jpg

Helles, small 60 litre batch in my 80 litre cylindroconical.
Seems clear, and is very drinkable. This photo 2 nights ago. Decided to fill a litre glass last night (and each night since, so far)
The beer is clearer than it looks due to frosting.
I adore this Wyeast Munich lager II yeast.
Helles sample.jpg

TheWiggman said:
How dare you ask! 20g, puts the slightest bit of roast which comes across more as a grainy malt than a stout-like roast. Also darkens as per rocker.
I say shudder because there's no such thing as an Aussie pils, just like there's no such thing as a session IPA. It's a bastardisation of an existing style and it pains me a little to call it that. HOWEVER, it's a pilsner in the sense that it uses pils malt and saaz, and so comes across pils-like without the Euro aroma and grain. It's similar to a Resch's Pilsener but with less presence of what I suspect is PoR. And believe it or not I don't mind the Resch's.
As ideal as it is I would be inclined to try a different yeast. Mexican Lager WLP940 seems to lack any real personality but for something like a Corona that's what you want. I only used it because it was the only one in stock locally. Otherwise, maybe 2124 or 2042 which is always a winner. People tend to diss lagers and might be inclined to think they're all the same (clean, light, crisp etc.) but each has its own style it better suits. A yeast I wouldn't recommend for this is 2001.

I'm getting all keen for summer and I do like brewing - and drinking - lagers, regardless of people's impression of said fizzy horse urine.
In depth responce cheers 20g it is

While youre at it Wiggs IBUs please in order & times

Think Ill go the winner 2042

I also love brewing, summer & drinking in moderation of course

cheers Rude

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1478756085.350517.jpg
Mofox's Rye IPA. Very nice, got a few floaties out of the first couple of glasses but should settle out soon. Nice and sticky. Plenty of Rye, Amarillo Chinook Citra and Simcoe. Yum. Great recipe Mofox

American Wheat in my new Spiegelau American Wheat glass

Malt: Wheat, Ale, Caramunich I
Hops: Amarillo, Citra
ABV: 3.9%
IBU: 28 IBU

IMG_20161110_161931.jpg

Back