Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A glass of my XXXX Bitter rip off. Probably a little dark but I couldn't get the base malt I wanted. Gonna have another go soon with my preferred ingredients. Tastes suitably flavourless though so it's probably not far off in that regard.

IMG_1037.JPG

Hey Rocker youre beers are allways bright do you filter,
gelatine or just use mother time

I use wirfloc & time which Im happy with

rude said:
Hey Rocker youre beers are allways bright do you filter,
gelatine or just use mother time

I use wirfloc & time which Im happy with
Hey rude, no filter, I just use isinglass to remove more yeast before kegging (if I was bottling I'd skip this), and Polyclar for the chill haze.

Next couple I've had today are an APA I brewed with Chinook and Centennial which is really nice (still has a bit of yeast haze), and my regularly brewed red ale, which is tops as usual. :D

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

Side by side comparo of a Monteiths pale ale and my 100% gladfield home brew (mines on the right). The color is pretty close, the Monteiths is clearer and I must admit tastes a lot crisper. The Riwaka in mine is very passion fruity.

wp_ss_20161119_0001.png

Pratty1 said:
Easy Ale

4.2% @ 28ibu

Columbus @ Fwh = 13ibu
Simcoe and Amarillo @ WP = 15ibu
Simcoe and Amarillo dry hopped heavy 6g/L

BRY 97 West Coast Yeast

attachicon.gif
WP_20161118_16_56_48_Pro.jpg
looks nice mate. i need to start making lower strength APAs.

what are the mash temp/s, grist, and gravities if you don't mind sharing?

Its in the what are you brewing thread but off the top,

Mashed at 65c for 60

Grist was 80 pils, 10 wheat and 10 rolled oats

It attenuated better then planned and for 4.7%. Og was 1042 I think, finished at 1009

Definately needs the pH at 5.2 -5.3, I think it was 5.4

Pratty1 said:
Its in the what are you brewing thread but off the top,

Mashed at 65c for 60

Grist was 80 pils, 10 wheat and 10 rolled oats

It attenuated better then planned and for 4.7%. Og was 1042 I think, finished at 1009

Definately needs the pH at 5.2 -5.3, I think it was 5.4
thanks mate, i think you messaged it to me at some stage a while back. might have to try something similar :)

technobabble66 said:
Looks great, Mr B.
Recipe?

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11.69 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 91.8 %
0.80 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (178.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.3 %
0.10 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM) Grain 3 0.8 %
0.10 kg Crystal (Joe White) (72.0 SRM) Grain 4 0.8 %
0.05 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (710.0 SRM) Grain 5 0.4 %
20.00 g Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 7.7 IBUs
20.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 7 4.0 IBUs
30.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 2.7 IBUs
20.00 g Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 3.8 IBUs

55 L batch. Did half with 1272 and half with Belle Saison. OG was 1.053 and FG was 1.004 for the saison part. Out of interest, the 1272 FG was 1.011.

I really love the tartness of saison, though both batches were nice. Have done Tony's, dark, and red type saisons, but really love the red. Both taste and colour.

45L mash at 66 deg, 60 mins. 32L sparge at 78.

Edit: hopefully fixed formatting

Currently drinking a smoked porter made by nattydstar.... very nice (from a non-dark beer drinker). Tried to take a pic but my iPhone is full!

'new leaf' session ipa. my first lower abv ipa (~5% although future ones will be lower). simcoe, chinook, cascade in my face.

only 7 days old but killing it. so much fruity aroma. needs a touch more in the flavour department but still stoked.

shit pic. need some droid influences, light, and to not be living next to a bloody construction site! :)
File_000.jpeg

fletcher said:
looks mighty fine to me mate.

what made it american? hops?
Yep, numbers match a regular porter, but used American hops all through, including a 1g/L dry hop of Chinook and Mosaic. Also used M44 West Coast.

mckenry said:
Yep, numbers match a regular porter, but used American hops all through, including a 1g/L dry hop of Chinook and Mosaic. Also used M44 West Coast.
well according to BJCP mate, she's a style :)

sounds awesome too haha.

First real look at the Roast Chestnut Amber I did with DJ_L3thAL. One of the contenders for the Case Swap. The other is a "" Heady Topper clone, basically an East Coast DIPA that Mofox1 and I brewed together. Had first taste of that too. I mIghr have to call it **** Your Tonsils DIPA. It kicks hard.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479726864.724617.jpg

Sampling the swap brew from the 2016 mid year Vic swap, beautiful toffee/caramel notes, a firm almost creamy body hides the ABV well and really nicely balanced with the hops. I think another few months and this will be mothers milk. Unfortunately no pic, but imagine a crystal clear, dark amber/red,with a slight cream coloured head (and I'm possibly a little under carbed from the keg).

Well Done Lads!!!

Originally was aiming to make a mild but changed it to an ordinary bitter. Kegged it 24 hrs ago and has cleared well.

3% and dry hopped it with 35g EKG. Tasting great and damn enjoyable for a low strength ale

1479906541661.jpg

Latest posts

Back