Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pale Ale

86% Maris Otter
6% light crystal
4% Victory
4% Carapils

Loads of late Cascade + dry hop
37 IBU

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1480118843.156090.jpg

hwall95 said:
Originally was aiming to make a mild but changed it to an ordinary bitter. Kegged it 24 hrs ago and has cleared well.

3% and dry hopped it with 35g EKG. Tasting great and damn enjoyable for a low strength ale
looks and sounds amazing. this will be my next brew too.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1480140868.146078.jpg

U-Flecku still going strong (2nd keg I scored of it)... man what an awesome beer. Perfect for a pre-steak dinner drink for SWMBOs bday.

After getting on the piss with the old boy last night at his local pub and waking up with a crackin brain bleed. I'm onto my 2nd longy of Janet's brown ale 8% in the bottle. Bloody beautiful. Headache gone. Win win situation. On the plus side my beer fitness is gunna be up for warners at the bay beer festival tomoz [emoji482] early start silly season [emoji23]
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1480142891.278521.jpg

Happy hour

Farmhouse Saison
Smacked Arse IPA
Flanders Red.

Nice :party:

DSCF7375.JPG

DSCF7377.JPG

DSCF7382.JPG

Propper black and tan.
RIS (well Russian Imperial Braggot) and DIPA. Definitely a greater than the sum of its part kinda moment. or for Captain Planet fans - an "our powers combined" moment.

It's amazing how the combo seemed to enhance the hop flavour and aroma.
Very dangerous to have this knowlwdge now though, because i cant just leave half a bottle of RIS unfinished.....

20161126_203326.jpg

Robust Porter

I think probably my most well made beer, I'm very pleased with it. I'll make it again for sure, with a few tweaks. It doesn't have quite the amount of roastiness that I wanted but it drinks really well, although probably a bit too carbonated for style - let's just call it a summer porter. I'm enjoying drinking it.

IMG_20161130_192008.jpg

Batz said:
My Flanders Red, brewed early March 2015. First pour today, it's been a long wait but worth it. Very nice if I say so myself. Sourness well and truly there of course but perfectly balanced. I've brewed a few sour's now but this one really hits the mark, and it was my first as well.
Just saw this. Have a batch tucked away in the garage since Aprilish.

Did you end up kegging of bottle carbing Batz? If bottling how did you go about it I.e priming rates etc

this stout was made for the yeast cake and it's turned out to be a bloody not bad drop. not a huge fan of bitter roast or harsh roast in stouts, this one has oats and chocolate extract with some liquorice as well - it tastes like a chico lolly! who'd av thunk it
free photo hosting

waggastew said:
Just saw this. Have a batch tucked away in the garage since Aprilish.

Did you end up kegging of bottle carbing Batz? If bottling how did you go about it I.e priming rates etc
Kegged this one wagga. But kept a healthy starter of it, I had added many sour bottle dregs. It's Batz culture now.

Batz

droid said:
this stout was made for the yeast cake and it's turned out to be a bloody not bad drop. not a huge fan of bitter roast or harsh roast in stouts, this one has oats and chocolate extract with some liquorice as well - it tastes like a chico lolly! who'd av thunk it
free photo hosting
The beer you make before the beer you want is often better, purely based on lower expectations.

Had to knock off early to collect the kids from the bus stop.
Shocking afternoon for it...the things a man does for his family.
'merican Wheat.

med_gallery_30557_1283_127796.jpg

American Pale Ale - 4.8%

Amarillo, centennial, simcoe, citra, and Columbus: Cubed hoped and dry hopped. Probs around 200g on it I think.

Cleared quite fast and very enjoyable. Top beer for the warm weather

1480834722436.jpg

DIPA, brewed together with mofox1. As I move my way towards pressurised fermenting, I dry-hopped this under low pressure - about 55 KPA/8 PSI. This is the first time I've been able to get even close to the hop presence of the commercial IPAs. I am happier with this IPA than I ever have been. Fist pump!!! And yes, that's hop and likely some yeast cloudiness from the Conan/Vermont IPA yeast.

I've figured for a while that the most glaring difference process-wise between commercial IPAs and mine has been oxygen exclusion from kettle to serving. (There are of course other things to tend to, but this one's the most fun.) That's been my main driver towards fermenting, etc under pressure. I still need to sort out hop exclusion when transferring to the serving keg, as a few bits got through. Until I have a way to dump yeast and hops, I'll have to find some other way. I'm not willing to go full-filtration ATM.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1480838204.943399.jpg

Mardoo said:
DIPA, brewed together with mofox1. As I move my way towards pressurised fermenting, I dry-hopped this under low pressure - about 55 KPA/8 PSI. This is the first time I've been able to get even close to the hop presence of the commercial IPAs. I am happier with this IPA than I ever have been. Fist pump!!! And yes, that's hop and likely some yeast cloudiness from the Conan/Vermont IPA yeast.

I've figured for a while that the most glaring difference process-wise between commercial IPAs and mine has been oxygen exclusion from kettle to serving. (There are of course other things to tend to, but this one's the most fun.) That's been my main driver towards fermenting, etc under pressure. I still need to sort out hop exclusion when transferring to the serving keg, as a few bits got through. Until I have a way to dump yeast and hops, I'll have to find some other way. I'm not willing to go full-filtration ATM.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1480838204.943399.jpg
I tried a 'Modus Operandi' 'Wippa Snipa IPA' and was blown away by the hop aroma and flavour, showed up how far my brewing has to go... I thought there must be a fair bit throughout the process that i was missing to get that kind of flavour... Then I tried a friends brew at the last club meet and it had a similar (although not quite as intense) hop flavour and aroma. He said all that he had done to achieve it was a 30g keg hop for 3 days....

You've probably tried this already but just thought I would mention it....

^ I do all my dry hopping in a keg with a shortened dip tube. I can fit in about 120g which is done over 2-3 days, sometime less. 2 reasons for this is to keep the yeast from the ferment to re-pitch and to get better contact time with the hops. by being in the keg, after 2-3hrs, I flip the keg over and then do that every 3-5hrs over a weekend. this creates better contact time for the hops to wort. When that is done I pressure transfer to the serving keg for carbonation.

Some of the best aroma I have done is when the beer had about 2-3 points to go and there is some fermentation/yeast activity in the keg. The pressure in the keg from flipping has some interaction with the hops gets better flavours and final aroma to the beer. well wroth sacrificing a 19lts keg for dry hopping. Ive seen some use a screen over the dip tube but I just cold crash and run off the first 200mls before connecting to the serving keg. :)

Kumamoto_Ken said:
Had to knock off early to collect the kids from the bus stop.
Shocking afternoon for it...the things a man does for his family.
'merican Wheat.

med_gallery_30557_1283_127796.jpg
I like how you made the bottle levitate

Or is it just a lite beer :D

AW.jpg

From the last bottle of this batch.

It's an American Wheat.

I know, I know, it's way too dark, but I used Dark Wheat and a touch of Chocolate Wheat. It's my beer, I invented the Dark American Wheat style, and I like it, so BJCP can shove the style guidelines. It's not a competition beer.

Back