Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dent said:
Munich Lager
2-001.jpg

Half Pils, Half Munich 1, Hersbrucker, and MJ lager yeast. A good start to the list of jobs I have for this batch of yeast.
That looks great.

IsonAd said:
Passion fruit wheat brewed with galaxy hops and passion fruit pulp.
Looks frosty delicious.

Curious what pulp brings to the party that a warm ferment and plenty of late citra and or amarillo along with the galaxy wouldn't. Never had much luck with wheat and fruit.

Dave70 said:
Looks frosty delicious.

Curious what pulp brings to the party that a warm ferment and plenty of late citra and or amarillo along with the galaxy wouldn't. Never had much luck with wheat and fruit.
Not a hell of a lot. I think most of the passion fruit flavour comes from a good late charge of galaxy and a tad of mosaic. Though in a side by side to the non-passionfruit version there is a bit more tartness in the fruit beer.

Hey Dent nice looking Munich
Has been on my to do list for a while might have to try a Munich dunkel
Was thinking 50 / 50 Munich I & ii
Was that M J for mangrove jacks yeast or is it a liquid one

Yeah, Dunkels I usually run 70 Munich 2, 30 Pils, then Carafa to colour - your plan would be good too but I think it would need some Carafa as well. Next time I've been meaning to give a 100% Munich 2 Dunkel a go.

That yeast was the MJ dry bohemian one - still made a 5L stirflask though.

Cheers mate I have some Carafa
What temp did you ferment that yeast at as I normally do 2 brews at once so would use a liquid yeast for the other one

Pitched at 4, ramped to 6 until activity then at 11 until d-rest.

Tasting Paddle from my bar.

Left to Right

American Pale Ale - 5.8% 36Ibu - Mosaic/Amarillo
American IPA - 6.8% 80ibu - Chinook, Citra, Moasic
American Amber Ale - 5.2% 35ibu - Citra, Amarillo, Centennial
Oatmeal Stout - 5.4% 35ibu - Chinook and 12% Flaked Oats

WP_20150802_002.jpg

dent said:
Pitched at 4, ramped to 6 until activity then at 11 until d-rest.
Jeez that's pitching low Dent
Did you rehydrate then pitch into 5 to 4 litres of wort in flask
Did you use a stir plate
Spose you could pitch low & just ramp to 10c 11c which would give you a good growth rate
Sorry for questions but that is a fine looking Munich you have done there
Would you recommend the dry yeast over the wyeast worthwhile ?

Yeah, rehydrate into the starter. For the starter I just pitch at regular lager ferment temp -- on the stirplate until it has fermented out. Then into the same fridge as the wort overnight so they both are are the same temp when pitched into the main wort. The starter beer is discarded as much as possible before pitching. I don't think it is necessary to pitch quite as cold as I do, but it keeps the wort stable in the meantime, increases O2 solubility, and keeps the yeast in check during the growth phase.

Dry yeast is mainly a matter of viable cell count and convenience. I find Wyeast/WL lager yeast seems to lose viability very quickly, so I try not to buy it when it has been on the shelf a while. It's great if it comes straight from the US - some retailers do a regular yeast pre-order and get everyone fresh yeast directly. 2278 and 2042 have been favourites of mine.

CrookedFingers said:
Nice one bro.
I have often tonight about brewing something like this.
Describe what sets it apart !
It's still a little under carb'd but still tastes pretty good. Essentially its a pale ale -lightly hopped - added beetroot juice to secondary for a week. Beetroot flavour comes through slightly but not over the top. Surprised bybits deinkability

IsonAd said:
It's still a little under carb'd but still tastes pretty good. Essentially its a pale ale -lightly hopped - added beetroot juice to secondary for a week. Beetroot flavour comes through slightly but not over the top. Surprised bybits deinkability
Great. I like the earthy flavour of beetroot, I will try something like this soon.

Also.
Judging by your last sentence there I can see it is very drinkable !

IsonAd said:
Beetroot pale ale.
I see your beetroot pale ale, and raise you a carrot saison. (Since we're on a veggie theme)

med_gallery_7015_1307_45348.jpg

Most of the carrot colour dropped out as you can see. I only kegged it on Sunday arvo but had extra so bottled it. I didn't prime one bottle but force carbed with a carb cap to have an early taste. There's an earthy/nutty taste which sits nicely with the saison flavour. The carrot flavour is subtle but the others that tasted it agreed that there was definitely a carrot taste and we weren't just imagining it.

BTW, I'm not Barls :) :drinks:

Back