Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437644545.258273.jpg

IPA I brewed a few months ago using 'experimental grapefruit' hop and chinook, I was going for pith. It's called Pith Off IPA. It was pretty hectic to start with but is drinking well now. ~320g of hops in a single batch. Pith Orfff Carrrn!

technobabble66 said:
320g ?!?
Liam, you have a problem.

And what appears to be a very small TV.
Or Dave Grohl's left hand.
And I think you're (Liam that is) sitting on the floor!?

Ed: Beer looks nice though.

Hehe, perspective is everything. Currently sipping on an ordinary bitter, OG 1.047, EKG all the way (only 90g in this one), fermented with wy1187. Goes alright. Telly is 60", glass is on a table [emoji4]

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437651193.273753.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
Hehe, perspective is everything. Currently sipping on an ordinary bitter, OG 1.047, EKG all the way (only 90g in this one), fermented with wy1187. Goes alright. Telly is 60", glass is on a table [emoji4]

attachicon.gif
Well, there you go then. I could have sworn you were sitting on the floor, no coaster and beer glass rings all over the place, the missus would surely be all over the situation (except for the finger stuff) and maybe said "There's no need for that, that's what the table is for - when she bumped into it and said "Crikey, didn't see that there, lucky for you - I just mopped the floor today"

Or maybe you mopped the floor, and that'''s why the tricky expose on the floor perspective to make the lads say "Fark, that Liam has a floor so clean he drinks off it"''

Or some such. Anyhow, carry on, I have been known to overthink things sometimes.......

Liam_snorkel said:
attachicon.gif
1.047 ordinary bitter? Doubt if there much ordinary about it with 90g of EKG (and now just pretend I'm not an old fart and actually know how to add a drool emoticon)

mckenry said:
Its not about liking 'it as it is'. The fact is, the beer is how its supposed to be. When everything is done right, you shouldnt need to wait weeks for your beer to 'come good'. IMHO 'green beer' is an excuse for not brewing well. I realise that some lagers will need resting, due to the yeast strain and high alc highly acrid beers can benefit from lagering too.
I'll also accept fruit beers while I'm at it. All I was trying to point out is that you can be drinking many many types of beers from day 1. When you nail down the recipe, the ferment, cold conditioning, minimise O2 etc, you wont have to wait for rough edges to smooth out. There shouldnt be any rough edges in regular ales and lagers.

This is kind of the thing I mean. Went OTT with hops - have to wait for them to fade. When you nail the recipe, you wont be OTT with hops. Wont have to wait for anything other than carb levels.
Don't disagree with you mate, the recipe was wrong. It'll be better next time! It's still all a learning experience.

Blind Dog said:
1.047 ordinary bitter? Doubt if there much ordinary about it with 90g of EKG (and now just pretend I'm not an old fart and actually know how to add a drool emoticon)
Yeah, more of an ESB I spose

Last bottle of my brett porter. 15 months old, rum soaked oak chips and brett. God ******* damn I'll do it again. 8.5% I'll feel it tomorrow but damn it to hell.

Wish I had some Stilton though

Keg stuffer of pils, rye and wheat.
Four additions of Simcoe, Amrillo and Moteuka to 31 IBU. Finished up at a fairly pedestrian and not to punishing 4.7%

Zero fucks given about kettle kettle trub winding up in the fermenter, you can almost see the green stain from the hops. Probably not best practice, but pretty much tastes like it was dry hopped.
Not bad for week in the keg.
After a day spent wielding a chainsaw and lugging firewood, I'm punching em in with great enthusiasm.

DSC_4437_zpsktrylidm.jpg

Psyching up for my weekly dose of pain as a Dees supporter with an All-Simcoe APA.
Only been in the bottle for a few weeks, a little bit undercarbed, but very nice.

gallery_30557_1283_537450.jpg

Oak aged English bitter. Nothing better on a Sunday afternoon in winter.

DSC_0175.JPG

nosco said:
Sounds nice.
Was that canned or fresh passionfruit?
Yeah it turned out quite well, much to my surprise. I was experimenting so pulled off 5l of the base wheat onto pulp from 5 fresh passion fruits and left it secondary for 5 days, cold crashed for 3 days which achieved bugger all as pulp was all through beer so I had to rack off through a hop sock to bottle.

Munich Lager
2-001.jpg

Half Pils, Half Munich 1, Hersbrucker, and MJ lager yeast. A good start to the list of jobs I have for this batch of yeast.

Latest posts

Back