Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWiggman said:
That's an interesting setting you've selected for that beer Topher...

Dirty table, kids placemats, mozart piano quartet score. Normal shit.

Im keeping it real.

Oatmeal Stout

ABV - 5.0%
IBU - 32 ( Warrior @ 60m )
EBC - 80

Irish Ale Yeast @ 18c

WP_20150618_004.jpg

Drinking a pint of my IIPA at the moment. Brewed on 4th May, I call it Sith Sipper. Excuse the shitty pic.

Pale, Caramunich and Wheat, with Citra, Amarill, Cascade, Cluster and Kohatu. A kind of 'clean-out-the-freezer' hop schedule with a basic 65c single infusion mash.
9% on the dot, 73 IBU.

Some real 3d foam on this handpumped porter.

DSC_0347-001.JPG

Malt into the fermenter does seem to enhance the head for sure.

The beer started out its life as a cube of wort made of 100% pale malt, as a test for a new brew rig arrangement. It then sat in the fridge for 5 months.
Eventually I crushed about 400g of TF dark choc malt, boiled that for a couple minutes in a litre of water or so, and tipped that along with the cube into the fermenter.

I find one can get a real nice, smooth and aromatic dark malt character from this method too.

Irish Red Ale: Brewing Classic Styles Recipe.

It's closer to brown than red, the picture doesn't really capture the colour too well.
This is the first taste out of the keg and it's terrific, very happy with this one.

med_gallery_30557_1283_1701055.jpg

Kumamoto_Ken said:
Irish Red Ale: Brewing Classic Styles Recipe.

It's closer to brown than red, the picture doesn't really capture the colour too well.
This is the first taste out of the keg and it's terrific, very happy with this one.
I know - tell me about it! I did the same, mine is a deep red... differences in the malt? LOVE this batch. First Irish Red. First time using Irish ale yeast. And (probably) first time doing such a low hopped batch.

:kooi:

mofox1 said:
I know - tell me about it! I did the same, mine is a deep red... differences in the malt? LOVE this batch. First Irish Red. First time using Irish ale yeast. And (probably) first time doing such a low hopped batch.

:kooi:
My first go at it as well. Used Maris Otter, Simpsons Light Xtal, Simpsons Dark Xtal and Roast Barley. If I squint and really use my imagination I could claim it as red...might use less Roast Barley next time though.
Beautifully balanced beer.

Kumamoto_Ken said:
My first go at it as well. Used Maris Otter, Simpsons Light Xtal, Simpsons Dark Xtal and Roast Barley. If I squint and really use my imagination I could claim it as red...might use less Roast Barley next time though.
Beautifully balanced beer.
Recipe here. I moderated the recipe - instead of 4.1% each of light & dark xtal, I used ~3.5% light & med. And MUCH less roasted barley - 1.8%. And it was *still* a deep red.

Too late to pour one tonight - and none of the pic's I take at night do any justice to the beer anyway.

Kolsch. Loving this beer right now. I really just can't see why so many people need to 'age/condition' regular ales and lagers. Big beers sure, regular beers no. I believe if you do everything right, the beer is ready as soon as its carbed. Here's a Kolsch that's been in the keg 3 days. I drink then from merely hours after kegging. Perfect after 24 hours.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437129562.494083.jpg

mckenry said:
Kolsch. Loving this beer right now. I really just can't see why so many people need to 'age/condition' regular ales and lagers. Big beers sure, regular beers no. I believe if you do everything right, the beer is ready as soon as its carbed. Here's a Kolsch that's been in the keg 3 days. I drink then from merely hours after kegging. Perfect after 24 hours.
Looks like most of the snow has melted. Three days, what's your force carb technique?

Latest posts

Back