Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mckenry said:
Kolsch. Loving this beer right now. I really just can't see why so many people need to 'age/condition' regular ales and lagers. Big beers sure, regular beers no. I believe if you do everything right, the beer is ready as soon as its carbed. Here's a Kolsch that's been in the keg 3 days. I drink then from merely hours after kegging. Perfect after 24 hours.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437129562.494083.jpg
And cold crash regime?

Nice clear beer, looks good.

I carb up with a 'Ross method' style. A little bastardised. Get it carbed Ross style but in 10 minutes, have a few if you please, then leave it at double my pouring pressure overnight. Perfect next day. Tight head, great mouth feel.

Cold crash is bang, set at 2 from whatever the last temp was. i.e. If it was 20 I don't bother with the degree or two per day, just let it go as fast as it can. If it's a lager and is up at 15 to knock off the last few points, so be it. It takes a couple of days as I do 50L batches. Gelatin is added at the start of cold crash. Usually 3 days which might only mean 1 day at 2 deg is all I do before filtering to keg.

It's a bit after Midnight and I've just got home from work time for a glass or two of my...

AA American Wheat

AA_American_Wheat.jpg

It turned out great; a classic 50/50 wheat & 2-row malt bill single hopped with Amarillo and fermented with Wyeast 2565 Kolsh yeast with some citrus zest thrown in at the end of boil.

Very tasty. Definately a 'to-do again' brew...

mckenry said:
Kolsch. Loving this beer right now. I really just can't see why so many people need to 'age/condition' regular ales and lagers. Big beers sure, regular beers no. I believe if you do everything right, the beer is ready as soon as its carbed. Here's a Kolsch that's been in the keg 3 days. I drink then from merely hours after kegging. Perfect after 24 hours.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437129562.494083.jpg
Disagree. I think certain styles get better with time. Call it conditioning, call it what you will.

Lagers, big beers or anything dark and roasty - or where the focus is on the malt are a lot better (IMO) after a month or so, than 3 days into the keg.

Case in point, my ESB is so much nicer now than what it was a month ago. Edges have rounded out and the caramel is beautiful with hints of apple from the yeast.

Had a 6 month old berlinner weisse with cherries last night. Last one of the batch. Absolutely do again

mckenry said:
I really just can't see why so many people need to 'age/condition' regular ales and lagers.
I like to lager my lagers. I've never liked the taste of green beers, especially when they're as light and delicate as a Pils or a Kolsch. Good luck to you though, if you like it as it is. I'm a little jealous!

I just drink them when they taste good.,not very scientific but effective

I've been drinking a smash beer I made and possibly went a bit OTT with the Columbus hops. It was pretty bitter - could feel it right behind the eyes and ears when I drank it about two weeks ago. Cracked a bottle open last night and it's definitely settled down a bit into a much better beer. That's only two weeks difference - bottled it about a month ago.

slcmorro said:
I like to lager my lagers. I've never liked the taste of green beers, especially when they're as light and delicate as a Pils or a Kolsch. Good luck to you though, if you like it as it is. I'm a little jealous!

Its not about liking 'it as it is'. The fact is, the beer is how its supposed to be. When everything is done right, you shouldnt need to wait weeks for your beer to 'come good'. IMHO 'green beer' is an excuse for not brewing well. I realise that some lagers will need resting, due to the yeast strain and high alc highly acrid beers can benefit from lagering too.
I'll also accept fruit beers while I'm at it. All I was trying to point out is that you can be drinking many many types of beers from day 1. When you nail down the recipe, the ferment, cold conditioning, minimise O2 etc, you wont have to wait for rough edges to smooth out. There shouldnt be any rough edges in regular ales and lagers.

welly2 said:
I've been drinking a smash beer I made and possibly went a bit OTT with the Columbus hops. It was pretty bitter - could feel it right behind the eyes and ears when I drank it about two weeks ago. Cracked a bottle open last night and it's definitely settled down a bit into a much better beer. That's only two weeks difference - bottled it about a month ago.
This is kind of the thing I mean. Went OTT with hops - have to wait for them to fade. When you nail the recipe, you wont be OTT with hops. Wont have to wait for anything other than carb levels.

My first hefe.
Maris otter and wheat.
Mf halletauer to 12IBU
5.2%
WB06
Been in the keg for 4 days, maybe a little carbing up left to go.
I'm pretty happy for my first attempt.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437293300.155393.jpg

Blueberry Sasion ....I'm a big fan of this beer ... the saison and fruit don't over power each other and it's pretty haha

Hits the spot after work too !

bbsaison2.jpg

Columbus APA - 4.9%

Freshly kegged an hour ago, still murky because I barely cold crashed it because my last keg ran out.

Columbus flavour is a quite herby and a little bit of citrus or tropical fruit coming through. I read it gives a bit of earthiness but cant say im tasting anything. Not grassy at all though. Nice hop but I think it would be better paired in comparison to using it by itself.

1437549323463.jpg

Back