Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just mowed the lawns. Got about 10m before the first catcher change :-/

Better have a beer.

Nullnvoid's "Rusty Rye Pale Ale":

Almost an IPA in my books... Magnum for bittering, cascade late and a veritable fruit basket for dry hops: cascade, Citra, el Dorado, jarrylo & simcoe to around 4g/L

**** I could keep at this. And probably will.

IMG_20171217_181401.jpg

Edit: Just another plug for this one... Missus sampled this and said "hmm, tasty, has this got rye in it?". Winning Russ, great beer ;-)

Just mowed the lawns. Got about 10m before the first catcher change :-/

Better have a beer.

Nullnvoid's "Rusty Rye Pale Ale":

Almost an IPA in my books... Magnum for bittering, cascade late and a veritable fruit basket for dry hops: cascade, Citra, el Dorado, jarrylo & simcoe to around 4g/L

**** I could keep at this. And probably will.

View attachment 110505

Edit: Just another plug for this one... Missus sampled this and said "hmm, tasty, has this got rye in it?". Winning Russ, great beer ;-)

I'm so glad this is turning out alright in its various forms! I just wish I could try them all. Hahaha.

I always thought it was a tasty drop but to have my peers rate it so highly is just mind blowingly awesome.

IMG_2799.jpg

India Pale Lager.

75% Pils
20% Munich
3% light Crystal
2% Acidulated

10g Columbus 60min
35g Simcoe cube
55g Citra cube
30 Amarillo cube.

70g of each dry hop

Saflager S-23 slurry.

Long, low and slow ferment.

OG 1.062
FG 1.012
IBU 60ish.

Merry Xmas!

Last edited:
Euro Lager - only made one keg this year, so more Lager brews next winter to make things right. Should've given the glass a wipe - it's clear as
So about 6mths in the keg? How did you carbonate, natural in the keg or co2 force carb?

So about 6mths in the keg? How did you carbonate, natural in the keg or co2 force carb?

this one was made a bit after winter, more like October but after chatting with AJ80 at the last swap and sampling a few Lagers I made a decision there and then that next winter would be a Lager-fest.
carbed with c02 Grott cheers

An all cascade APA using the AHB LC bright ale grain bill. 10g of Magnum @60 then 50g of cascade @20, 50g of cascade @5 and 100g of cascade in the whirlpool. First time using a (small) immersion chiller which was a bit nerve racking. Great way to infect your beer i reckon. For some strange reason its really hoppy and dam tastey.
Edit: brewed and fermented in 7 days which I've also never done before. I normally do 10-14 days but i needed it in time for xmas.
IMG_20171226_151949.jpg

Last edited:
50 gms Citra
50 gms Nelson Sauvin
100gms Riwaka

just gone into a hop sock and into a purged 19ltr keg before tranferring from a Pressure Fermented Sess IPA (80ltrs ~ which was added just before flame out and Whirlpooled with 100gms of Cascade and 100gms Chinook)
should be enjoying this time next week - 2 weeks after brewing, gotta love that!

^ how many days in the keg before transferring ?

I cut my dip tube to allow for 100g of hops but the idea of using a hop sock is interesting, do you get full contact with each pellet and the beer?

I cut my dip tube to allow for 100g of hops but the idea of using a hop sock is interesting, do you get full contact with each pellet and the beer?

Dan I have used about 80g in a hop sock with no issues , but next lot of dry hopping I’m experimenting and using one of these with a hole drilled in the top and the dip tube slid inside and then let the little guys run naked , fits perfect on an angle with out cutting dip tube , I just drilled hole slightly of centre . Will be dry hopping with this set up and then transferring to another keg when I get home from work on Thursday

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/152663133...%3D705-139619-5960-0%26rvr_id%3D1404566003539

I used my Mother-In-Laws stockings, I find they work the hardest...no more hops in the Kegmenter for me...at least for now

soooo transferred to Kegmenter directly after chilling from the kettle last Sunday (brewday). With pressure equilibrium maybe yesterday @ around 13psi
I transferred to purged keg with said hops in the stocking today.
All done warm but no 02 at all.
This Wed or Thurs I'll transfer again to another (this time cool) purged keg and crash chill to serve (didn't have any finings so who cares about gradual stepping down of temp)

Should be interesting.

Whoops - Q? full contact? the beer is carbed, it's (the hops) suspended in the beer, it's warm for 5 days - I would assume all the hops will be wet and do enough, it is 10g/l after-all

Dan I have used about 80g in a hop sock with no issues , but next lot of dry hopping I’m experimenting and using one of these with a hole drilled in the top and the dip tube slid inside and then let the little guys run naked , fits perfect on an angle with out cutting dip tube , I just drilled hole slightly of centre . Will be dry hopping with this set up and then transferring to another keg when I get home from work on Thursday

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/152663133...%3D705-139619-5960-0%26rvr_id%3D1404566003539

I used one of the same of those in link in my last hoppy pale ale brew. I used 75g of hops suspended in 19l corny. Worked a treat - great aroma and flavor

^ ^ i have one of those and it can hold 100g. ive used it a few times and each time just get heaps of hop debris through into the glass. Even tried it with a hop sock inside that SS meshed canister and still got hop debris.

May of just been the hops i was using or that it was not suspended just sitting at the base of the keg.

Ive got a pale ale Im not to happy with, i think i will throw another 56g of CITRA into the SS meshed canister and see how she goes.

I used my Mother-In-Laws stockings, I find they work the hardest...no more hops in the Kegmenter for me...at least for now

One step which Droid forgot to mention is to make sure you remove the mother-in-law from the stockings before adding the hops. It's a simple step but it can make a significant difference to your beer.

Back