Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My regular red ale is on tap again along with an APA with Cascade and Centennial. Both of these beers are in fact hopped with those two hops, however they taste vastly different. I haven't found a decent spot to take good photos of beers in this house yet but I did grab one anyway of the red ale yesterday. Tasting great as usual!

IMG_1168.JPG

My regular red ale is on tap again along with an APA with Cascade and Centennial. Both of these beers are in fact hopped with those two hops, however they taste vastly different. I haven't found a decent spot to take good photos of beers in this house yet but I did grab one anyway of the red ale yesterday. Tasting great as usual!

View attachment 109509
Do you use nitrogen with your red ale?

Do you use nitrogen with your red ale?
No, just the usual CO2. It's not all that highly carbonated though. I just pour it but don't tip out the initial foaming at the start of the pour, it ends up in a pretty creamy head. If I get too much foam I just let it settle and then top up the glass. This also seems to give a pretty creamy head.

View attachment 109509

Care to share the recipe mate , looking to do a cascade centennial brew my self in the future . That colour is awesome

IMG_0565.jpg

First crack at an IPA and I am still working out the carbonation using CO2.

I got 2 1/2 kegs. The first 1/2 keg got some cake in it so I reckon murky colour is that and prob increased bitterness.
I have high hopes for the rest. I'll be sharing over Christmas.

It's at 8%abv.
I drunk 1 and a half pints and I'm [emoji15]

Seen trauby ones like this out in the field, rusty nail I believe one was called so don't feel like you've failed. Here's my wit...
IMG_20171107_113245126.jpg

Needed 100 percent more zest and coriander ratios. Still drinkable carbed nice and well.. you can see the head.

Care to share the recipe mate , looking to do a cascade centennial brew my self in the future . That colour is awesome
Alright, finally got back to the computer to grab the recipe. This is designed for a 25 litre batch, based on 75% brewhouse efficiency. Sometimes I leave out the Magnum if the AA% of the Cascade is higher, but always hop it to the mid 30s IBUs.

4kg Maris Otter Pale Malt
300g Caraaroma
200g Carapils
75g Black Patent
Mashed for 90 mins @ 66/67C

20.00 g Cascade - First Wort 75.0 min
9.00 g Magnum - Boil 60.0 min
20.00 g Centennial - Boil 20.0 min
30g Cascade dry-hopped
Brewbrite at 10mins

Fermented with Wy1469 West Yorkshire Ale at 18C.

Est Original Gravity: 1.0434 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0127 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.0 %
Bitterness: 35.8 IBUs
Est Color: 31.9 EBC

Belgian Wit, starting to taste nice, first pressure ferment only just over 2 weeks ago.
I have a memory of one particular wheat tasting really nice at Feral a long time ago, starting to think it may have been a Belgian Wit
A nice beer style for summer for sure!

^ ^ Nice work Droid, I love a good Witbier. That style was the flagship for Feral, White Rabbit and Alagash in the US and understandably why.

Im sure we threw around the recipe for coriander and orange zest before you brewed, what grams per L did you go with and how does that come through in the beer?

^ ^ Nice work Droid, I love a good Witbier. That style was the flagship for Feral, White Rabbit and Alagash in the US and understandably why.

Im sure we threw around the recipe for coriander and orange zest before you brewed, what grams per L did you go with and how does that come through in the beer?

wow OK well there you go, it may well have been a Belgian wit that I have longed for!

Dan, I went with around 30grams of coriander in 80 ltrs finished so .375g/L? and as per your suggestion to drop the zest amount from a massive 250gms for 80ltrs to around 90g which was all the zest I had being 75gms or orange and then 15grams of lemon.

It's still a bit yeasty but the balance is nice, I reckon two weeks in the keg and it'll be close to as good as it will get, then I can send you a bottle for research purposes if you like, cheers mate!

half empty - half full? still a bit dusty after force-carbing yesty
first Euro Lager for this side of last Summer, gonna brew 80ltrs next weekend and put it on this one's yeast cake

20171114_205336.jpg

Couldn't help myself, only bottles this porter 2 weeks ago, already tasting good. But will leave the rest at least until Xmas.

How does that taste Earle?
Tastes great. Tart sourness up front and then some smoke follows through. The oak smoked is a more subtle smoke than rauchmalt so you can easily go to 100%. Took a sample to the last brew club meeting, got pretty positive feedback.

Thinking of taking a 9l keg of it the the SEQ xmas caseswap.

Funktown APA...bloody nice beer.

92.5% - Gladfield American Ale
5% - Pale wheat
2.5% - Heritage Xtal

OG: 1.049 FG: 1.012
Fermented with YeastBay Funktown Pale Ale at 20C and then ramped to about 23C after a few days.

40IBU
Horizon @ 60min
Chinook/Citra @ Flameout
Chinook/Citra in the cube.

full

Latest posts

Back