Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WP_20180101_14_47_38_Pro.jpg
another schooner of my Mosaic Pilsner.

good boring beer!

My final batches of 2017 were marred by faulty scales causing all my hop additions to be way off the intended dosage. They seem to have either under and over measured quantities each time. I'll give them a couple months but I may tip four kegs..

All I have on tap that I consider drinkable is the ol trusty Citra Blonde Ale. That biofine cleared it up too. A life saver in this heat.

20180101_170109.jpg

I usually only brew 1-2 batches per year but think I'll up production of this style this year.

Very refreshing and a quick turnaround is always a bonus.

Rhubarb Saison thing I do a couple of times a year. **** it is good (toot! hey, there goes my horn).

Recipe was something like 50/50 pilsner/wheat or gladdy American/wheat with a little acidulated thrown in. To make 16L @ 1.060ish.

Then it got 4.5kg of rhubarb as per here

Made up almost 10L of a rhubarb liquor by repeated simmer / strain cycles and threw in a kilo white sugar.

Pitched the cube with a couple sachets belle saison, made up and added the rhubarb liquor two days later. Nine days after pitch she's kegged and pretty.

Last time I did this it took about 8 or 10 weeks before ferment was finished... Finished pH of the beer is 3.5, so adding the rhubarb after primary yeast growth phase was probably a good idea. Can't know tho, because I switched yeasts from 3724 to belle saison.

Nom.

IMG_20180104_182535.jpg

Still pushing my personal boundaries in regards to Session IPA's. This sucker is somewhere around 60ibu @1.040OG finishing around 1.008

In 80ltrs there was 200gms of hops at Flame Out and 200g going into each keg, no brew-brite or finings in the house so yeah, she won't clear up. US05.

Nice day (40C) for a few sessionable fruity smashers

Looks like the thing for today - mash sched & OG?

Hi Mofox,

Probably more detail than you need but......

I do an overnight mash with the Braumeister, mashing in @ 25c (current ground water) raising up through the steps set, which due to this I get a few points lower FG than target because the mash goes through temps of 60c-64c which takes about 10mins.

25c/180mins
66c/ 60mins
72c/30mins
76c/180mins

If I were to mash in for Sacc rest straight up and during the day id mash it like this:

65c/60m
72c/20m
76c/30m

I do an extended mashout always so when i pull the malt pipe its drains really fast and follow that with ~ 2lts of rinse/sparge water

FG is often 1007-1008 even with the English 002 plus there are no non-fermentables like crystal malts so its always <1010

"US" Wheat made with Aussie (BB Ale & Wheat) and German (Caramunich II + Acidulated) malts and Aussie (Galaxy) and NZ (Nelson Sauvin) hops.

The only "US" thing about this was the yeast, being US-05.

IMG_20180120_144410.jpg

Poured straight from the pressure fermenter, already carbed. This was the bottom of the batch and is murky as all hell but tastes most refreshing.

What I transferred to the serving keg has been given some Biofine to help clear it up.

^ ^ i like it Cliffo. Whats in the mix?
83% BB Ale, 15% Flaked Corn & 2% Acidulated.

18 IBU using Northern Brewer @ 20 min and US05.

If I was to nominate a beer as my "house" beer, this would be it. Usually have one on tap or at least ready to tap, especially during the warmer months.

Nice Cliffo. What does the flaked corn do? Dry it out or add some kind of malt aroma?

Latest posts

Back