Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1431762189.317063.jpg
ESB.

Oatmeal Stout. About 75% carbed at the moment but couldn't resist a taste test. Very drinkable with a throat coating finish.

Aaaah, saturday session beers... Starting with my crack at Harry's Hefe.
Note: SWMBO put my pint glass through the dishwasher so the head vanished pretty quick...

2015_05_15_17_04_55.jpg

...and a damn fine Simcoe Smash!

2015_05_15_17_54_00.jpg

Surly Bender Clone. Highly recommend making this one. Can't get it here in Aus and it's a very intriguing beer. Vanilla-y, creamy, toasty sweet malt profile blending seamlessly with a spicy hop flavour profile.

61.3% Ale Malt
15.1% Aromatic
6.5% Golden Naked Oats
6.4% Medium Crystal (Simpsons)
6.4% Special B
4.4% Chocolate

8IBU's of Willamette at First Wort 60 mins
22.6IBU's of Columbus at 60 mins
6.1IBU's of Willamette whirlpool steeped

1469 Yeast.

Landing pad pale ale.
Forgot to adjust for no chill, but a month and a half in the keg has evened out the bitterness a little.
Drinkable but not my best. Ah well.
19L
88.6% MO
7.6% rye
3.8% carapils
15g warrior @ 60
15g cascade @ 15
25g cascade @ 5
Pretty sure I used US05 in this one.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432029558.527501.jpg

All Simcoe APA. Simcoe smacks a punch with flavour. Really like it's depth of flavour

Keg is freshly shaken so it's a more cloudy then I'd prefer atm but it'll drop

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432219683.068752.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432267070.816624.jpg

First sample from the new kegerator! My portion of my NSW case swap APA.

Couldn't get it to pour. Successfully worked out how to take out the liquid post and dip tube. Cleaned with starsan to get rid of the bit of trub and reattached. Good as gold, still a bit cloudy after the Ross method agitated it all up. Was crystal clear going from fermentor to keg.

Edit - just noticed the black dots, they are dodgy pixels not actual floaties.

Dark Mild fermented with Nottingham (last time I do that, chewed it really low). This has been tasting really dry and astringent up until tonight but it has suddenly come to life. Enjoyed this glass with some pasta dusted with dried Habanero flakes. Mouth chemistry is weird, super chilli fatigued tongue tasted all of the malty sweetness without any astringency. Odd but delicious.

Horizon single hop pale.

BB pale, munich, wheat, bit 'o light crystal.
56g cube hop, 42 IBUs.
56g dry hop, 4 days.

Horizon is a good hop, though I'm struggling to place it easily. Quite pungent and fruity (orange marmalade, maybe), but no obvious descriptors like your Galaxy or Nelson etc. Not for me, anywhose.

I'll pair it with Citra or something piney in future, I think.

image.jpg

Raspberry wheat. An American wheat (WLP 320) as a base with 900g of frozen raspberries added to the FV after a week or so.
Sweeter than I expected to be honest, but not too shabby.

Certainly not red at all, but it's a pink colour that the pic doesn't show properly.

gallery_30557_1283_3128503.jpg

hwall95 said:
All Simcoe APA. Simcoe smacks a punch with flavour. Really like it's depth of flavour

Keg is freshly shaken so it's a more cloudy then I'd prefer atm but it'll drop
Such a great hop. Give a red hot go with cascade if you haven't already.

Back