Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had this tonight really reminded me of drinking dry ginger ale. Was tempted to break out the rum to mix it.
Wish I'd thought of that Sunday night, a shot of rum would of really improved the Monteith's Summer Ale on tap.
What is that stuff? :eek:

Bear Republic Rebellion Single hop IPA (Mt Rainier)

Wayyyyyyyyy to much hops for my liking. Not enough malt to back it up.
2 ltr growler probably wasn't a wise choice!

Long weekend trip to copenhagen
Mikkeller bar on tap

Mikkeller- fear nothing, double ipa
Mikkeller- USA live, some kind of hopped up beer with bugs ( different, worth a try, think I tryed it to early in the night
Mikkeller- mexan ranger , jalapeno dark ale (has nothing on the 'Texan ranger')
Cantillon- Kriek (no explanation necessary)
To ol- black ball porter. ( Danish craft brewery nice beer but no need to go out o your way to find)
Dark horse- blueberry stout ( sweetness coming from the berrys is just right lovely desert beer)

Bottle
3 floyds- gumballhead, red wheat beer single hop Amarillo (very lemony and really quaffable)
Mikkeller- spontan grape, grape wild beer ( nice but bit disappointing after the cantilon)
Evil twin- hipster ale, ipa

Many more but these where the highlight of the trip.

Stopped into olbutikken also and collected a nice array of beers. Will post up when there in the glass.

Off topic but has anyone found a way to load photos directly from the iPhone? If so please pm me.

Just spent 5 days in Estonia. (1.5 weeks into a 7 week trip)
Sitting on 44 new beers so far.

Cream of the crop would have to be:
Mikellar black hole
Crosendonk pater double
Brewdog Tokyo
Meantime choc porter
Random homemade 'blonde beer' from some awesome little medieval dwelling
Fabians stout
Salopian hop twister - cask

Haand Bryggeriert(spl?) Norwegian Wood is pretty bloody yummo.

Haand Bryggeriert(spl?) Norwegian Wood is pretty bloody yummo.

I had the very same this eve - Haand Bryggeriet - I had the Hesjeol (with a line through the "o" - harvest ale apparently). A touch of smoke malt dried it out nicely. Not sure I'll bother with it again, but very glad I tried it.

I also had the rauchbier Marzen (forgot the brand) and sierra nevada Rye IPA which was magnificent!

I would apologise for being OT, but...err....

I had the very same this eve - Haand Bryggeriet - I had the Hesjeol (with a line through the "o" - harvest ale apparently). A touch of smoke malt dried it out nicely. Not sure I'll bother with it again, but very glad I tried it.
I've had I think maybe six of their beers now and I'm really impressed with their work - the Hesjeol being the only one I could take or leave.

I've defended Murray's more than a little in this thread so I ask this question in all seriousness:

What the hell has happened to Icon?! I'm having my first stubby of it with the red label and it is pretty cloying. From front to back of the palate it is like the way the malt finishes in a barleywine without all the rest of the barleywine-iness to back it up. I'd be only too happy to blame handling except I don't see how handling could cause this.

64e0f971.jpg

Tonight I went for 'Beer Here' Nordic rye scandinavian farmhouse ale.
Had no idea what to expect from the name. Apparently the recipe was created in colab with Michael Jackson before he passed. The bottle I got hold of was dated 16/2/11.
Poured darkest of brown with a big brown foaming head. Nose was almost barleywiney with strong fruit coming through mostly.
My first experience with a rye beer and I Absolutely loved it. Hope you guys back home get the chance to get hold this 1 day or maybe just another of there many beers.

Cheers to 'practicalfool' for directions on posting pics with the iPhone!

Nogne O's Brun is pretty bloody tasty. Taste more like a porter than a Belgian dark ale to me (if that's what it is supposed to be, bit hard to tell with all that squiggly stuff on the bottle). Really didn't like the saison they did with Bridge Road that I had last night. Last night's Hesjeol (Haand Bryggieret) also left a little to be desired for me - kinda half Belgian, half oops-we-forgot-the-other-half.
That was my thoughts on this beer too. Came into it thinking it was a Belgian brown. But as tasty as it was, never got any belgian character from it. Beer advocate tells me it's a Belgian dark ale. Not sure what i was supposed to get.

IMAG0187.jpg

The latest Slowbeer haul:

Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye Specialty Ale
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA
Arctic Fox Chocolate Stout
Green Flash Brewing Double Stout
Wicked Elf Mad Abbot Dubbel
Mornington Peninsula Imperial IPA
Brooklyn Brewery Monster Ale
Epic Mashup
Beer Here Smokestack Porter
Mikkeller Beer Hop Breakfast
Moondog Skunkworks Cognac Aged Double IPA

that Moondog Skunkworks Cognac Aged Double IPA is all sorts of complex!!! Had one over the weekend...

that Moondog Skunkworks Cognac Aged Double IPA is all sorts of complex!!! Had one over the weekend...
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye American IPA

ruthless_label.jpg

Its pretty friggin good. Earthy hops right away like a certain related plant stinky burnt resin funk.

That piccy right there, that's how you sell beer!

Looks awesome :icon_drool2:

Wish I'd thought of that Sunday night, a shot of rum would of really improved the Monteith's Summer Ale on tap.
What is that stuff? :eek:

Monteith's summer ale could only be improved by not being hooked up to the tap in the first place. The rum would be done no favours by having that horrible shite in it.

Not even Captain Morgan's would benefit.

Sorry for the terrible phone camera photo.

Got my beermasons autumn pack today!

Really interesting beers in this one it seems. This one is awesome, like a lambic/wheatbeer. It has the sweetness of a wheatbeer but the sourness of a lambic so isnt as dry as some lambics can seem/be. Really enjoyed this one probably because I haven't found a wheat beer I don't enjoy! Will have to savour the second (last) one.

IMAG0368.jpg

From same pack:
BigSkyscapegoat.jpg

A very tasty pale ale. Bit more oomph than a SNPA, not quite as much as a torpedo. Delicious.

Then I had:
BigSkytroutslayer.jpg

From the same (Big Sky) brewery.
Also very nice, but probably should have tried this one before the Scape Goat.

Both of these beers were tasty. The labels are cool, the hops shine through, and the clarity (for a hop laden PA and a wheat) is amazing.

Moon Dog - Henry Ford's Girthsome Fjord.

This is supposedly a Bulgo-American India Brown Ale. What? Too scared to chuck some rye and roselaire in there? Soft!

Stupid beer and style names aside, this beer is a bit odd. Smells really sweet chocolate, very low on esters for something that wants to claim to be a bit Belgian, some indistinct hopiness, and a bit burned toast under it. Tastes a bit acrid but not all that roasty (don't ask, I don't know), big hot alc flavour but only slight actual heat in the fade. Rough bittering. I could smell it all night but I'd let you drink it.

Really disappointed after how amazing their pumpkin porter was.

e7a1ca1c.jpg

This is the best imperial stout I've had. Very roasty, good firm bitterness and nice warm alcohol.
Yeah, pretty bloody nice. Alc is maybe a little forward in the flavour for me (but you've gotta expect a bit of that in a 10%-er), however, the warmth works very nicely. Smells great. I like my RISs a little bit thicker in mouthfeel but that is being really nit-picky. Tops beer.

Going through this pack pretty quickly...

I really like this one. Lots going on but still pretty balanced. Makes a nice change, recently every dark beer other than stout/porters have let me down by tasting pretty bland. Also tried the trout slayer but didnt really enjoy it, I think i had it too cold.. or maybe I was expecting something really wheaty so it didnt live up to expectations.

IMAG0370.jpg

Just spent 5 days in Estonia. (1.5 weeks into a 7 week trip)
Sitting on 44 new beers so far.

Cream of the crop would have to be:
Mikellar black hole
Crosendonk pater double
Brewdog Tokyo
Meantime choc porter
Random homemade 'blonde beer' from some awesome little medieval dwelling
Fabians stout
Salopian hop twister - cask

did you go to that pub on the eastern edge of tallinn old city with that big beer list with the bottle shop attached that has an even longer list? Was a very nice surprise when I found it. I have a couple good but fuzzy memories there

Latest posts

Back