Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight's beers

Dundee IPA - nice average sessionable ale, i can see why some people would get annoyed at it being labelled and IPA. But its pretty much in-line with run of the mill UK type IPAs.
Sweet malt, not enough bitterness for me, some hop aroma.
Decent buy for the 6 pack price.

Vale IPA - Highly carbed, clear golden in appearance good head retention.
Fairly prominent tooty fruity aroma, agree with bum it does smell nice and it is quite crisp and dry very simple malt character.
Otherwise another fairly decent sessionable ale that i would probably buy again when my HB stocks are down.
I dont like getting caught up on names but it really is not an IPA.

Last night's session from Archive.

BRIDGE ROAD CHEVALIER
MURRAYS ANGRY MAN PALE
BACCHUS CARBROOK PALE ALE
HOP DOG MIDGEE
COOPERS VINTAGE ALE
LITTLE CREATURES ROGERS
BREWDOG 5 A.M. SAINT
No bottle of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye? Don't tell me it has sold out already? :(

Pretty sure there was some still in the bottle shop this arvo. Forgot to grab a couple though :(

Pretty sure there was some still in the bottle shop this arvo. Forgot to grab a couple though :(
You'll be kicking yourself if it sells out buddy! :icon_drool2:
I surprise myself in saying this but SN have really delivered with that beer, it is fantastic IMO. Suppose it makes up for the shambles that Tumbler was...

A couple of cheap(er) imports I tried the other night.
Victory (USA) about $10 for a 650mL bottle.
First was:
"Prima" Pils.
Not a huge pilsner fan (yes, have had Urquel...) but I did enjoy this one.
VictoryPrimaPilsner.jpg

Next up, a nice Belgian farmhouse style for the same coin. Helios. Helluva nice brew!
VictoryHelios.jpg

Had one last night, loved it. Also tried Kooinda APA and Black IPA. All nice beers, though the black IPA had some tabacco like flavours that were nice, but only in small doses.

View attachment 53538

Feral Hop Hog.... Mmmmm, hops :icon_drool2:

Perfect for an after dinner beer in front of the footy!

OK into the asbestos undies
Had a taste of this tonight, I think its highly over rated.
Feral do some very fine beer hop hog just isnt their best offering, nowhere near enough malt to balance the hopping. Unfortunately most commentators on beer appear to be mesmerised by HOPS but they are far from all I want from a beer, give me balance, this beer lacks it.
Mark

Have you tried it on tap or only in bottles? The bottled version was good (IMHO) but I do like hop focused IPAs. The kegged version however, is just balanced beautifully, and really does have a better malt presence than the bottled version, whilst still being in-your-face enough to let you know you're drinking an IPA.

One of my current favourites anyway! Each to their own!

Cheers

I've said this more times than anyone probably cares to read but Hop Hog is, IMO, simultaneously both one of the few beers that gets the American attitude sorta right in this country and one that wouldn't get any sort of recognition in the States at all - way too dry and thin. It is a beer I enjoy (when I can get it) but isn't the sort of beer I feel worth aspiring to making.

Talking bottled version - but my beers are all bottled too so that shouldn't change the last bit too much.

Have had both, tonight was on tap at the Albion (they had 6 Murrays on tap so just had to go and test them all), just asked for a splash as I have been consistently underwhelmed by Hop Hog but was willing to give it another taste, sure its got plenty of hops just lacks a spine.
Worked out years ago that my tastes suit me perfectly, doesnt make what I like good, bad, right or wrong and I do enjoy a well balanced IPA and beyond. If you are going to make an IPA it needs a shed load of malt behind all the hops or it can start being very 2 dimensional pretty dam quick
Mark

No bottle of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye? Don't tell me it has sold out already? :(

They were just the tap beers that I'd that. (minus the 5 A.M. saint -That was my roadie B) )
The Coopers Vintage was the shit for me...bloody noice.

From the bottle-o I grabbed: -
Ngne - India Saison
Feral Hop Hog
Sierra's Ruthless Rye & Stout

OT - +1 for MB's Hoppy Heffe. Not at all to style, which is why I liked it so much. Grab em while you can.

To commiserate myself on my loss of an almost ready beer, I had these last night, along with a few stubbies of Morrison brewery Irish Red ale.

Red IAP
GreenFlashHopHeadRed.jpg

Superb! Big hoppy flavour and aroma, with a strong malt backbone to balance it, and a great head / lovely colour to complete the awesomeness!

"Bastardised Scottish style red ale".
BearRepublicRedRocketAle.jpg

Was next. Quite similar flavours to the last one, similar colour. Adequately carbed, but very little / no head. Still a very enjoyable beer.

I love Green Flash beers especially the W.C IPA. I'm carbing up a keg on the clone that I made a few weeks ago as we speak.
I'll post the recipe if it's anything close to it!

Just enjoying this bad boy now. Damn getting IPA's and APA's in cans is awesome but at nearly $10 a pop its definetly a treat. This is nicely balanced for 7% and has a huge aroma of pineapples. Mmmm yummy

_MG_9444.jpg

Have had both, tonight was on tap at the Albion (they had 6 Murrays on tap so just had to go and test them all), just asked for a splash as I have been consistently underwhelmed by Hop Hog but was willing to give it another taste, sure it's got plenty of hops just lacks a spine.
Worked out years ago that my tastes suit me perfectly, doesn't make what I like good, bad, right or wrong and I do enjoy a well balanced IPA and beyond. If you are going to make an IPA it needs a shed load of malt behind all the hops or it can start being very 2 dimensional pretty dam quick
Mark

Horses for courses...but i whole heartedly agree.

Its all about balance for me. I enjoy hops, but an IPA (actually, any beer) needs backbone to make it truly great.

SN Hop Rocket is an example of something i find 2 dimensional. I have tried it a few times hoping that i coulddiscover what so many love about it. Just didnt happen (All 3 times were from Dans)

wells-banana-bread-beer.jpg

Trying a bunch of new beers over Easter, this is one of them - Wells Banana Bread Beer. This isn't my pic, and it must have been the most aggressive pour in the world to get that kind of head, mine fizzed out after two minutes. Have to say I am pretty disappointed with this one, great aroma but very artificial banana flavour. Isn't like a banana flavour in a wheat beer, it's just like those cheap banana lollies you can buy. This is paired with a harsh bittering, sort of like a metallic twanginess that I would expect out of a very cheap homebrew kit beer. I get this metallic flavour instantly, then it occurs again in the finish. May just be me. Have to give them credit for doing something different though.

BearrepublicHopRodRye.jpg

I need to get 1/2 a sack of rye in the next BB... :icon_drool2:

Yeastie boys double Rex, made with 100% Peated distilling malt. Pretty intense

Was certainly an experience, not one I plan to re live :lol:

So i'm braving one of these as we speak...

Just to set the scene, last year I actually brewed a beer out of 80% Peated malt, and Eis'd (freeze concerntrated) it. It is still not remotely as peaty as this.
I'm yet to come across an Islay single malt that is more intense than this!
Certainly a sipper, just screams burnt rubber and gunpowder, but is so complex and just hangs around. Not the kinda beer you wanna drink around other people, but **** me, it's interesting!

I had a bottle of Rex Attitude last year..... 100% peated malt, and will concur with the above.

I actually had it after a bottle of Stone Ruination...... and it out trumped the Ruination (supposed to ruin your taste buds) by far. My mate who was having a glass of Heffe was ready to kick me out of the room..... he kept saying..... OMG that shit stinks, its making me sick :p

He struggled to sit in a room with it in a glass, let alone drink it.

It was by far the strongest flavoured beer i have ebver had...... i can still taste it.

Today's haul:

Bairds Beer - The Carpenter's Mikan Ale
Nogne O - Brun
Nogne O/Bridge Road - India Saison
Victory - Hop Devil
Sierra Nevada - Ruthless Rye
Murray's - Icon 2IPA
Green Flash - West Coast IPA
Haand Bryggieret - Hesjeol
Haand Bryggieret - Norwegian Wood
De Molen - Bloed, Zweet & Tranen
Moon Dog - some nonsense about Henry Ford