Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come for the beer, stay for the dregs...

'10 RRBC Framboise for a Cure

2012_04_12_21.54.52.jpg

De Molen Bloed, Zeet & Tranen.

Love it. Never had a beer with such complex smoke character (even though I've had much more aggressively smoked beers). Subtle but complex at the same time. Very, very nice. Wish I had half an idea to make a beer half as good as this.

Samuel Smith Imperial Stout

Nice. Like it a lot. But not really a wow beer.

66883.jpg

Macs Hop Rocker.

If I don't overthink this beer (now I've had 3, it's less of an issue), it's fantastic.

My idea of a 'new' pilsner. A tiny bit of different hop flavour (owing to using Nelson Sauvin and NZ Cascade, not nobles), but still that firm, smooth bitterness over a grainy pils palate, rather than NS and Cascade's usual use (ie - aggressive late hopping)

Think I might make me some of this in summer (ie September in QLD).

Goomba

It's the only place with half decent lighting in the house at this time of night.

The beer is a bit underwhelming to be honest, but I bought it from a deli just off the motorway from Auckland northbound on new years eve, so it might not be the freshest example. Hop aroma is still there, but flavour is all dulled out,so I really assume it's a freshness issue.
I do generally like those Moa beers, but this one let's them down a bit.

It's the only place with half decent lighting in the house at this time of night.

The beer is a bit underwhelming to be honest, but I bought it from a deli just off the motorway from Auckland northbound on new years eve, so it might not be the freshest example. Hop aroma is still there, but flavour is all dulled out,so I really assume it's a freshness issue.
I do generally like those Moa beers, but this one let's them down a bit.

Cheers, my boss has some bottles of the triple I have been eying off, the beers I have had of theirs are all good, bit pricey though. was there a BB date on the bottle?

did you go to that pub on the eastern edge of tallinn old city with that big beer list with the bottle shop attached that has an even longer list? Was a very nice surprise when I found it. I have a couple good but fuzzy memories there

By eastern you mean southwest??!?
Drink bar & drink shop

Lovely places and are #1 at the moment for everything. Went to the others but kept coming back to 'drink' for the selection

MIKKELLER BOOGOOP BUCKWHEAT ALE

Growler's worth from Archive. At 10.5% she's a sipper.

Last night with dinner

602fc7e3.jpg

Bloody great beer

I bought a slab of Brewdog Punk IPA for $80 which is not bad when you consider that Boags Draught is $41 in Tasmania, cant believe that you can buy Boags cheaper in Victoria , not that I buy Boags Draught often.
After 8 Punk IPA I have hit palate over load but feeling fine
Cheers
Chris

IMG_1238.jpg

Yum, glad this was the first beer of the night because it was easily the best. Lovely rye character without being slick. Spiciness very well balanced with dank/piney and citrusy hops.

IMG_1239.jpg

Nice. But WAY to thick. Big malt character with a good hop flavour and aroma but very little bitterness. Very much like if you dumped a lot of late hops in a Franziskaner or something like that.

IMG_1240.jpg

Plain jane ale. Similar sort of beer to Fat Yak when it was hoppy and not like Carlton Draught with a little more hop in it's step. In other words....better than any macro beer.

IMG_1241.jpg

Here I was thinking this was an Aussie beer given the name. Good IPA level of bitterness, not enormous like a DIPA wannabe. Toffee, caramel malt notes dominate the nose though. Good, honest IPA.

Silly saison, my first ever trustworthy taste of the style, i was at first shocked by the color, i expected something lighter. other than that though it's everything i expected from the style. well hopped, dry and highly carbonated

I bought a slab of Brewdog Punk IPA for $80 which is not bad when you consider that Boags Draught is $41 in Tasmania, cant believe that you can buy Boags cheaper in Victoria , not that I buy Boags Draught often.
After 8 Punk IPA I have hit palate over load but feeling fine
Cheers
Chris

Ahh Punk IPA my favourite beer just love the hops and aroma. Surprising get used to the hops quickly and anything else tastes watery in comparison.

Silly saison, my first ever trustworthy taste of the style, i was at first shocked by the color, i expected something lighter. other than that though it's everything i expected from the style. well hopped, dry and highly carbonated
It is not really representative of style at all, your intuition is correct. Just go grab a Dupont and be done with it, there are drier and esterier/spicier, but it is the yardstick. Good value too.

Ed: I misread that... I find that beer a looooong way from saison dry.

FWIW not a very good example of the style, try something like Dupont.
Silly Scotch is pretty good though....

BFMLaSalamandre.jpg

Wit's aren't really my thing, and "interesting" is the best way I can describe this one. Citrus / sour. Would probably be good on a really hot day, might save the other one for summer.

Not my picture; wasnt carrying a camera.
View attachment 53766
OMG, worth every cent, not like any other beer I have tasted, reminds me of very old Port thick viscous mouth filling and the 17.2% alcohol is nearly invisible its so beautifully balanced.
I am going to have to have another one!
Mark

Back