Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bridge Road Brewers Galaxy Single Hop IPA - Poured with absolutely no head (note Headmaster logo in picture). Aroma is like Woombye - big pineapple and not much else. I suspect this bottle wasn't treated so well as when asked by SWMBO what it was like she was told "It tastes like a pineapple butt-hole." This beer is remarkably unplesant. Nothing but harshness on the palate. Blaming this one bottle rather than the beer itself. Will try again.

IMG_2146.JPG

just poured me a glass of brewdog (scotland) Punk IPA... 65IBU... 6% ABV.

Bloody nice (sorry no pic, gotta drink before the head dies!)

So much bitterness on top on the bottom, man I have to get more of this stuff!

Also, have a look at this video from the brewdog website:
Punk IPA Page
Anyone else tried some of brewdogs beers?

the Snake Dog IPA says its only 60 bu's on the bottle

Hmmm...need to start this one by saying that Firefox has been acting weird for me since I updated the other day and the post dialogue is acting strangely. I have uploaded a picture but there is no indication that the pic has been included in this post.

Mad Brewers/Malt Shovel Orchard Ale - Can't say I've ever had a Saison before. This beer is not giving me a good impression (although I have heard it is not a great example). Diamond bright. Gorgeous deep copper colour. Small head disappears quickly. Aroma is apples and VB. Flavour is flat cider and warm beer mega-swill - despite drinking at fridge temp (not sure of correct serving temp on this one), will update if my impression of it improves as the beer warms. Unpleasant alcohol notes linger.

Mad Brewers/Malt Shovel Orchard Ale ... a really shit beer !!

Different beer and brewery, jpr.
Yup its "BREW" not "SNAKE"

and bloody firefox is pissing me right off. I'm thinking of unistalling and seeing if I can download the previous version from somewhere, although there are a few minor tweaks that I kinda like.

Birrificio Barley Friska.

med_gallery_1950_543_19148.jpg

Competently brewed Belgian Wit from Birrificio Barley in Sardinia. True to style and very well balanced. Nice little quaffer.

The Italian jugernaught continues, this time from Alessandria (just to the North of where I am staying in Genova). Birrificio Civale (pronounced Chee-varl-lay) Mervisia.

med_gallery_1950_543_39492.jpg

Bottle says Birra Rossa (Red Beer), but website says Pale Ale. At 6.2% ABV it's at the big end for anything that would be called a Pale Ale. Certainly looks like a Pale Ale in appearance. Gushed a bit on opening, however the aroma didn't show any signs of infection - a little bit of spicy hop aroma backed up by a solid malt presence. Despite a careful pour, heaps of yeast floaties evident. Taste a bit underwhelming, slight metallic twang and reasonably bland in terms of flavour. Subtle notes of chocolate malt, some orange esters. Solid bitter finish. Nothing to write home about, unfortunately.

just poured me a glass of brewdog (scotland) Punk IPA... 65IBU... 6% ABV.

Bloody nice (sorry no pic, gotta drink before the head dies!)

So much bitterness on top on the bottom, man I have to get more of this stuff!

Also, have a look at this video from the brewdog website:
Punk IPA Page
Anyone else tried some of brewdogs beers?

I had a taste of the Punk a couple of weeks ago. I also liked it a lot. Had a really sour citrus thing going on from the hops that I would love to achieve in my beers.

Also tred the Hardcore IPA. As an IPA, I preferred the Punk. The Hardcore was seriously bitter but the flavours were heading into Old Ale territory.

Cheers
Andrew.

Bridge Road Brewers Galaxy Single Hop IPA - Poured with absolutely no head (note Headmaster logo in picture). Aroma is like Woombye - big pineapple and not much else. I suspect this bottle wasn't treated so well as when asked by SWMBO what it was like she was told "It tastes like a pineapple butt-hole." This beer is remarkably unplesant. Nothing but harshness on the palate. Blaming this one bottle rather than the beer itself. Will try again.

You should email the brewery. I can assure you that the beer is, even if its not to your tastes, not harsh at all. In my opinion it is underbittered for an IPA, but that's about the only fault I can get at.

bought a 6 pack of mountain goat hightail ale while down the g coast, at first i thought quite tasty. i have a question tho. the first 2 stubbies i poured in to glasses from the unit we were staying at staright out of the cupboard, they had an extraordiary amoutn of froth very hard to control while gently pouring. brought the other 4 home just poured one into a chilled headmaster and there was absolutely no head at all with modest bubbles on the tongue. i drank it it was ok. poured the next one, it frothed as the cap came off, i poured it and and it gave a good 2 inches of froth. as i walked back to the couch i noticed there was all this crud flowing about in the bubbles, a close look and i could see clumps of shit like gold fish crap all thru it, tipped it. crscked the next one it frothed straight out of the bottle, very gently poured it into glass and had about 85% froth, tipped it. cracked the last one, flat as a tack no bubbles what so ever. anyone else had any experience with mountain goat bottles, i know the brewery is held with regard but i guess its always hard for craft brewers to distribute bottled and hope like hell the merchants take care with their product

confused
matt

I haven't had much luck with Mountain Goat in bottles either. I remember two bottles of the IPA I got a couple years back were off and I think I've had another one or two that weren't quite right. Now I only drink their beers on tap when I can find them.

I haven't had much luck with Mountain Goat in bottles either. I remember two bottles of the IPA I got a couple years back were off and I think I've had another one or two that weren't quite right. Now I only drink their beers on tap when I can find them.

i got a stubbie of IPA from a WA craftbrewer (cant remember its name) it was absolutely delicious, hadnt had an ipa before. also just prior to that, also had a couple of schooner of matilda fat yak at southport sharks afl club really enjoyed those too.

Just tried the White Rabbit Dark Ale at Clancy's.
Absolutely sensational!!
Perfectly balanced malty (almost sweet) slightly hoppy, not too carbed example of a fresh alive real ale. What I'd always imagined a proper local english ale would be (albeit with some american hop aroma) the old Pommy bloke I was drinking with had plenty of nice homesickie nostalgic things to say with each sip..
As it warmed in the glass it just got better and better.. :party:

View attachment 36268

Still one of my favourite beers. Ever. It will take me an hour to sip this one away, and I'll savour every mouthful

I had one of these last night and loved it. I still think the 10 is better but the 8 is a great beer.

They will replace it give them an email.

I had their Bling IPA fresh yesterday and :icon_drool2: could drink that all day.

I'll shoot them an email. Thanks, guys

Nogne-O IPA - Interesting beer. This is only my second beer from this brewery but already I am intruiged with the way the approach balance. Pretty much straight up English in the malting (to my palate anyway) but American in the hopping, yet somehow still putting a little earthiness under it. General hoppiness is huge but the aroma doesn't get crazy (which wouldn't be a fault for me but intersting approach none the less). Very much looking forward to getting some more beers from this brewery.

IMG_2149.JPG

Hrm...having a bit of a bad run with the Italian beers...Piccolo Birrificio da Apricale Nua di Grano (Apricale is a town in the North of Italy near the border with France).

med_gallery_1950_543_275033.jpg

Apologies for the photo quality, was forced to use my phone as the little IXUS had decided its battery was flat (one of my pet hates with this camera - no @#$%ing indication of remaining battery charge). This is supposed to be a Kristalweizen (presumably "grano" is wheat, also described as "Birra chiara di alta fermentazione", which I take to mean clear ale). Certainly looks the part, lovely dense white head, active carbonation. Falls down on the aroma and flavour, unfortunately. Lacks the characteristic banana esters, has a fairly limp malt backbone and dry bitter finish. Also picked up a slight metallic flavour; wondering if this bottle is a bit old (couldn't find any use by date on the bottle). Disappointing, as I love German style Weizens.

Nogne-O IPA - Interesting beer. This is only my second beer from this brewery but already I am intruiged with the way the approach balance. Pretty much straight up English in the malting (to my palate anyway) but American in the hopping, yet somehow still putting a little earthiness under it. General hoppiness is huge but the aroma doesn't get crazy (which wouldn't be a fault for me but intersting approach none the less). Very much looking forward to getting some more beers from this brewery.

Tried their 100 the other day, which was excellent. The 100 was also covered on The Brewing Network's "Can You Brew It" show, and it appears they came up with a good clone recipe with the help of the brewer. Well worth a listen http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/606

Yeah, that was the first of theirs I tried (hamfisted review a few pages back) - not entirely what I expected but very nice.

The joys of travelling in Europe...I found the following beers in a market in the middle of town on a Sunday. These beers are from Birrificio del Golfo, a little brewery in La Spezia, which is about 30 minutes to the east of Genova.

med_gallery_1950_543_106223.jpg

Very murky, although had not had time to settle. Very slight hop aroma, slight caramel and toffee malt aromas, fruity esters (orange). Light caramel and toffee malt backbone, but disappointingly low hop flavour. Dry finish with balanced bitterness. Certainly not an IPA, not even an English one.

med_gallery_1950_543_2273.jpg

The picture you see was a fairly aggressive pour, not much head produced, although the beer did lace pretty well. Prominent roasted grain aromas as expected, but also some fruitiness , but I can't decide whether it is the result of esters or fusels. Slight sourness present as well. Bone dry finish to the flavour, again with some fruitiness and background (very light) sourness, which actually delivers some character and is appropriate for the style. This plays well with the bitter chocolate flavours from the roasted grains. Light body, no alcohol warming, which probably rules out fusels in the aroma. Not a bad effort.

med_gallery_1950_543_154497.jpg

Aroma of peat smoked (whisky) malt and not much else (not a bad thing, by any means), perhaps some esters and a little tobacco (???!!) as it warms. Nutty, caramel flavours with a smoky presence, pleasant alcohol warning, finishing with a slight tangy hopiness. Medium body with light carbonation. I think I am starting to develop a taste for beers that use smoked malts! Love it, really good sipper!

Latest posts

Back