Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doh! My bad.

Same question but to hefevice!!!

:)

You won't find it locally. I'm currently in Genova, Italy. The craft beer scene here is really growing. I believe that Birra Baladin will soon be available in Australia (if it is not already). They do some great stuff and are worth looking out for. To give you some idea of the calibre of Baladin, the owner has just opened a brew pub and restaurant in New York with Sam Calagione (DogFish Head) and Vinnie Ciluzo (of Russian River); two of the biggest rock stars of the US Craft Beer scene. Press release here http://russianriverbrewing.com/wordpress/

OK, here's another Italian beer....

gallery_1950_543_11129.jpg

Check out the head on that! Ticks all the boxes for a Triple on appearance and aroma, but with a little sulphur perceptible. Same on the flavour, finishing very dry but dominated by a long lingering bitterness that I don't care for. Other than the bitterness, a top drop. If you like dry and bitter Triples, maybe this is the one for you.

IMG_2144.JPG

Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen - I'm a huge fan of Schlenkerla's Urbock. Had one last night and it was bloody amazing. Bought this at the same time despite not liking wheaties, but hey it is a smokebeer, right? Gonna be totally different and I have to give them the benefit of the doubt since the Urbock is so amazing, yeah? Here the smoke is diluted to more of an ashy flavour. The cured meat is entirely absent. There's a bit of clove under everything. There's a taste at the end like artificial sweetener without the sweetness. Thoroughly awful beer. Glad I've got two more Urbocks waiting to restore my faith in this brewery.

View attachment 36295

Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen - I'm a huge fan of Schlenkerla's Urbock. Had one last night and it was bloody amazing. Bought this at the same time despite not liking wheaties, but hey it is a smokebeer, right? Gonna be totally different and I have to give them the benefit of the doubt since the Urbock is so amazing, yeah? Here the smoke is diluted to more of an ashy flavour. The cured meat is entirely absent. There's a bit of clove under everything. There's a taste at the end like artificial sweetener without the sweetness. Thoroughly awful beer. Glad I've got two more Urbocks waiting to restore my faith in this brewery.
What was the BB Bum?
I found this, like most weizens, is best drunk fresh. Especially to retain its intial smokiness, but it should also retain some nice banana and tropical fruit esters when young.
Having said that, for the shear extent of smokiness, it doesn't compare to the original Urbock.

October 2010. So I'm guessing it isn't brewery fresh(tm) but I doubt it should be so far gone that it bares no resemblance to a younger one. To be honest I'm not getting any banana but with the smoke I wasn't expecting any.

October 2010. So I'm guessing it isn't brewery fresh but I doubt it should be so far gone that it bares no resemblance to a younger one. To be honest I'm not getting any banana but with the smoke I wasn't expecting any.

With Rauchbeers there are always going to be inconsistencies, ive always found the marzen to be the best and the weizen to be lacking.

Turns out the BJCP session with rauchbiers, the weizen was out of this world and the marzen was lackluster.

Although if you are not fond of wheaties, well you're on your own with this one.

Pretty sure I was quite clear in saying that I don't like it? Adamant, in fact.

View attachment 36295

When I had one of these, pretty much all I could taste was the smoke and bacon, I love wheaties, so for me it was the complete opposite, way to much smokieness. But there you go.

I am drinking my last ten20 commemorative ale, mmmmm. Celebrating selling my damn lawn mowing franchise, which I have owned for 9 looooooooooooooooooooonng years. Woohoo

Man. 9 years is a long time to be mowing lawns. Congrats on the sale.

Yeah, the smoke in their beers is definitely an acquired taste and I really do love it in their Urbock but I found it far less pleasant in this beer.

a few I've Had over the last week...

Harringtons Pale Ale (NZ) - sessionable Pale using NZ hops. Not an "in your face" PA at all.

Three Boys IPA (NZ) - all I can say is... :icon_drool2: This is quite possibly the best IPA I have had... Nice malt background, plenty of flavour and aroma. NZ cascade I'm assuming... Pity its not available in OZ.

Snake Dog IPA (USA) - something I didnt like about this. Got it from Craftbrewer but it was past its used by which probably explains the total lack of Hop aroma. 710IBU are well hidden. Would like to try a fresh one..

Still to Try - Three Boys Wheat, Fullers London Pride, MSB Orchard Ale, Another IPA I cant remember.

Beer_010.jpg

Beer_007.jpg

Beer_005.jpg

Man. 9 years is a long time to be mowing lawns. Congrats on the sale.

Yeah, the smoke in their beers is definitely an acquired taste and I really do love it in their Urbock but I found it far less pleasant in this beer.
Tell me about it, hahaha

Yeah smoked beers like these are definitely not for the faint hearted. Maybe I should give the Urbock a go, just so I know.

Tell me about it, hahaha

Yeah smoked beers like these are definitely not for the faint hearted. Maybe I should give the Urbock a go, just so I know.
I went with a mate to the German Club one day. He's a semi regular, loves his weizens and others.
I persuaded him to try one of these.
"Who the hell killed a pig and put it in my beer" was his response...

As well as cracking my 1st home brew last night I worked my way through a Wicked Elf tasting 4 pack with a mate.

Pilsener - Quite dark in colour, very Saaz aroma, a flavoursome beer not a lawn mower job
Pale Ale - Slightly cloudy, lots of citrus, a little bannana but not bezerk. Very nice
Wit bier - Cloudy, bottle conditioned. Lemon citrus, some spice on the palate. Yummo, makes me want to brew one
Triple - Only ever had Duvel so not alot to compare to. Balanced alcohol, slightly astringent, warming, nice to sip on a cooler night.

Overall, pretty impressed as they are my local brewer. Nice to have something to feed to guests new to the area. Someone on AHB said they are now in Dan Murphy's (which we don't have in Port Mac unfortunately).

Stew

Hmmm...need to start this one by saying that Firefox has been acting weird for me since I updated the other day and the post dialogue is acting strangely. I have uploaded a picture but there is no indication that the pic has been included in this post.

Mad Brewers/Malt Shovel Orchard Ale - Can't say I've ever had a Saison before. This beer is not giving me a good impression (although I have heard it is not a great example). Diamond bright. Gorgeous deep copper colour. Small head disappears quickly. Aroma is apples and VB. Flavour is flat cider and warm beer mega-swill - despite drinking at fridge temp (not sure of correct serving temp on this one), will update if my impression of it improves as the beer warms. Unpleasant alcohol notes linger.

IMG_2145.JPG

Holy Christ. That sounds pretty amazing.

View attachment 36268

Still one of my favourite beers. Ever. It will take me an hour to sip this one away, and I'll savour every mouthful

I've tried the 10 before. Delicious beer but the spice coupled with the high abv made it just a tiny bit too rich. I had the 8 for the first time last night and bugger me but what a beer. Super, super delicious and definitely rivalling westmalle dubbel for my favourite trappistenbier

Mad Brewers/Malt Shovel Orchard Ale - Can't say I've ever had a Saison before. This beer is not giving me a good impression (although I have heard it is not a great example).

If you've never had a Saison then Orchard Ale really isn't a great starting point at all. Try a Saison Dupont, served in a wide rimmed glass at just below room temperature, it'll change your life.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't the best starting point but it was there and sounded interesting at the very least. Which to a degree I guess it is. Will keep an eye out for the Dupont, cheers.

Back