Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rogue Mogul Madness Ale - This is the description from the brewery's website: "Hoppy, caramel aroma, dark burgundy in color with an off white head. Intense flavors of citrus hops, and complex notes of nuts, berries and mocha. It finishes long and lingers for at least 15 seconds." Sounds suitably fru-fru-la-la. Better grab one. And so I did. Is it hoppy? Yea, if mid palate and lingering bitterness counts as 'hoppy'. Caramel aromas? Bit more like roast toffee or something. Is a very murky burgundy colour and the head is off white, so kudos to you, Rogue! Citrus hops? Only if orange rind counts as citrus (it really does taste almost exactly like the pith). No nuts. No berries. Perhaps the mocha is what I'm getting as roast toffee? I'm not saying it is an entirely bad beer. It isn't. It is just a more manly beer than the description the brewery chooses to apply indicates. The firm bitterness is rewarding - I do wish there was a bit more up front, however. The alc is a little too apparent for my liking, kinda lingers too - which would be fine in a more fruity ale but here this combines with the rind quality (let forget rind comes from fruit for a second. thanks) and they seem to work against each other somewhat. Did start to taste a lot better with the braised beef SWMBO provided for tea (despite Rogue's suggestion it pairs best with poultry or spicy food). IMG_2150.JPG

I have tried a couple of the rogue beers bum and while they are ok...... i struggle to pay the money they ask for them!...... not worth 18 odd dollars IMO.

Got this one for $15. TOTALLY WORTH IT NOW, HUH?!

Yeah, to be honest this brewery would be lucky to have a 50/50 success rate for my money but the hits do hit pretty hard. Their XS IIPA is one of my favourite beers (very interested to check out the XS Old Crustacean (barley wine) too). Brutal Bitter is a great little beer - bitterness is king but still just avoids tipping the balance. I quite liked the North-Western Ale from memory. But yeah, when they suck they suck really hard. I guess that only reinforces why I keep trying their beers - they seem to take risks other breweries of their stature might not.

Of course I've also read glowing reviews of their beers that I have absolutely hated - all comes down to preference in this game, dunnit?

Sierra Nevade Porter - Man, does this beer travel better than their pale ale or what? So nice. I'm pretty inexperienced in all thing porter So I won't get into it in any detail. Lovely and rich. More (yet still subtle) chocolate than any of the supposed chocolate (in some instances Double Chocolate) stouts. Slight sweetness on the nose but only a little on the palate. Really enjoyed it. Extremely slight chance I'll be able to visit the brewery in a month or so and this'll be a definite starter.

IMG_2151.JPG

Say 'hi' to Biscuit in the back there while she photobombs me.

Birra Toccolmatto Skizoid (American IPA).

med_gallery_1950_543_107878.jpg

Great label! Pours with mad head, as you can see. Citrus aroma, mainly orange, but fairly subtle for an IPA. Very slight hint of floral aroma (potpourri) in the background, either from the esters alone or on combination with the hops. Pity orange from the hops in flavour, nice malty backbone balanced by firm bitterness. Medium body. Could probably use more late additions and some dry hopping, but very drinkable regardless. According to the web site they use Columbus, Chinook and Centennial.

(very interested to check out the XS Old Crustacean (barley wine) too).
If you don't mind forking out the big bucks for this, it could be worth it. Personally, I think the bottle I drank was too young (2008 drank last year), but it has the hallmarks of a beer that has excellent aging potential, if you're prepared to wait.
Otherwise, i'd totally recommend the XS Imperial Stout! :icon_drool2: Just be sure to have someone to have someone to share it with...or nothing to do the next day!

Yeah, the XS IIPA was a bit like that. But it was NYE so who cares?

I'll grab an Old Crustacean (Hi, Chappo!) with an eye to cellaring it (for at least a week).

Yeah, the XS IIPA was a bit like that. But it was NYE so who cares?

I'll grab an Old Crustacean (Hi, Chappo!) with an eye to cellaring it (for at least a week).

If you get one from purvis, im pretty sure they've been sitting around for atleast a year.

Nope. But they're made to sit around for at least a year so go grab one.

Oh, I was more offering that as a suggestion if you were picking up an old crusty - saves you the trouble of cellaring it for an extra year.

Ah, misunderstood completely. Cheers for the heads up.

Re: Bridge Road Galaxy IPA problems
I'll shoot them an email. Thanks, guys

As suggested, I sent a polite email to the brewery explaining my experience and Ben sent me a couple bottles (and a couple others) from the new (3rd) batch. The same new batch that hasn't even hit retail yet. These bottles had an attached note saying they were bottled so recently I shouldn't even think about putting them in the fridge for a week. If I have any issues this time is is definitely me or the beer.

Right now drinking rogue juniper pale ale - not bad. Pretty nothing but I quite like it. Wont be buying it again at nearly 8 dollars a bottle. Got a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot in the freezer cooling down. Jealous?

Right now drinking rogue juniper pale ale - not bad. Pretty nothing but I quite like it. Wont be buying it again at nearly 8 dollars a bottle. Got a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot in the freezer cooling down. Jealous?

Nah, got a bottle Baladin Xyauy Silver (13% 2006 Barley Wine) http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1675/34441 ready to pack up and bring home to Oz :p

Might take it to the next BABBS meeting and share it with the lads.

Bridge Road Brewers Galaxy Single Hop IPA - Poured with absolutely no head (note Headmaster logo in picture). Aroma is like Woombye - big pineapple and not much else. I suspect this bottle wasn't treated so well as when asked by SWMBO what it was like she was told "It tastes like a pineapple butt-hole." This beer is remarkably unplesant. Nothing but harshness on the palate. Blaming this one bottle rather than the beer itself. Will try again.

do you actually like galaxy though as a hop? brewed with it before? have had about 5 of these beers and not one has been bad, all of them spot on. galaxy can be full on at the best of times if your not expecting it. top work to hear they replaced your bottles though a thing all brewerys should do imo if someone gets a bad one.

I've used Galaxy in all my last 3 beers and enjoyed them. Or enjoyed elements of them at least - none have had the problems I found in that one bottle. This beer was seriously rugged. Borderline undrinkable (which is why I brought it up as that goes against everything I've read about it).

do you actually like galaxy though as a hop?

That was my initial thought. Compared to when its used in the HB environment, alot of commercial galaxy beers ive tasted have been really enjoyable. myabe its the use of flowers over pellets? Comparing 30g dryhop of galaxy pellets in my current beer is like having 100g dryhop of cascade.

It does mellow with time but i prefer to drink my IPA's young :(

myabe its the use of flowers over pellets? Comparing 30g dryhop of galaxy pellets in my current beer is like having 100g dryhop of cascade.
Not having used flowers in mine I can't comment on the difference but I have to say I haven't noticed Cascadeiness from my use of them. However I would have guessed that the use of flowers rather than pellets would make it more palatable rather than less, wouldn't it?

Back