Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't comment on the difference but I have to say I haven't noticed Cascadeiness from my use of them.

Sorry i didnt mean to imply that it tasted like cascade but moreso like using 100g of hops @ that kind of AA.

As for the commercial examples alot i have tried have used galaxy flowers and the palate seems to be alot softer/smoother/ more rounded. If its not flower over pellet related, maybe its just low SO4 or Mg levels in their brewing water?! It would be interesting to know. I might pose the Q to Mountain Goat the next time im down there.

Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale - I wasn't much of a fan of their Dead Guy Ale. It was an okay beer but I guess it didn't live up to expectation (both reputation and name, I suppose). Was convinced I should try the DDG a little later. Only got around to it now. Very interesting beer. A little sweeter on the nose than I like but big, bold fruit along side. Fruit comes through in the flavour, stonefruit mostly I guess. Fair bit of caramel (almost to toffee but not quite). Lovely bitterness up front but doesn't quite hang around as long as I'd like (probably longer than many others might though). Finishes dry (for the sweetness of the beer, I mean) but with something similar to a hint of chocolate but not quite. Some pleasant warm alc. This one is supposedly all Cascade and while there is a definite citrus element it isn't coming across like any other Cascade dominated beer I've had before.

Birra Toccalmatto Re Hop Pale Ale

med_gallery_1950_543_54683.jpg

Massive, mousse like head, with lively bubble action in the beer (it's actually starting to climb out of the glass in the photo). Slight latex yeast aroma, which gradually faded. The Italians in general seem to bottle condition their beers with a lot of yeast. Hop aroma comes through as citrus; lemon and grapefruit. Not much hop flavour, a soft malt background, but a very bitter and dry finish. Light body with fairly high carbonation. Needs some more hop flavour and malt support to balance the dry bitter finish.

Edit: s/better/bitter

Birra Toccalmatto Re Hop Pale Ale

med_gallery_1950_543_54683.jpg

Massive, mousse like head, with lively bubble action in the beer (it's actually starting to climb out of the glass in the photo). Slight latex yeast aroma, which gradually faded. The Italians in general seem to bottle condition their beers with a lot of yeast. Hop aroma comes through as citrus; lemon and grapefruit. Not much hop flavour, a soft malt background, but a very better and dry finish. Light body with fairly high carbonation. Needs some more hop flavour and malt support to balance the dry bitter finish.
Sounds like a great beer, and i love the label.

Birthday_Drinks_012.jpg

IIPA...Happy birthday to me :)

Part of the drinks I bought myself for my birthday, and since I am having my party today, thought I would crack one open :)

In regard to a previous discussion here that I couldn't find to quote:

Currently drinking a Rogue Brutal Bitter with the new Willamette sub for bittering. Previous tastings of this beer (when it was 100% Crystal hops) had it being one of my favourite session IPAs and was pretty annoyed when I found out it had been changed. This is my first taste of the new version. Completely stoked - almost exactly the same beer but ever so slightly improved. The bittering seems a touch smoother and, to my palate at least, this gives a little more room for the mild spice and citrus of the Crystal to really breathe.

Definitely reinforces my desire to try Yellow Snow again with the new hopping schedule.

Now this i enjoyed!!!

Im really on a bitterness run lately. I have a Roggen and a brown ale on tap and they are doing nothing for me. However the NZWPA at 1.047 and 52 IBU :)

I liked he beer before i even tasted it to be honest. I read the label........... it said:

THis is an aggressive beer
We dont care if you dont like it!

They had me at hello :)

http://vimeo.com/9161176

cheers

PunkIPA1152x1728.jpg

this one has me puzzled.

I bought it at a bottle shop not 20 meters from the brewery and drank a few as soon as i got back to the motel room. Truth is i hated it! It was so pale, no body, no flavour or aroma, just the taste and smell of a hot firmented kit beer! I was really REALLY disapointed after paying $19 for the 6 pack!

I kept 2 of them...... botoght them home and stuck em in the fridge for a couple weeks. This one was a touch better after a bit of time. It had less "hot ferment" funk but still tastes dusty and dirty. I thought it was an infection at first but i dont think this is the case. I just think its a poorly made beer!

I have one more....... last time i kept a bottle of mudgee beer out of the fridge for a few weeks it almost exploded so 12 months on i still dont have the confidence in their product to keep it out of the fridge to age. I will give it another few weeks in the fridge and try it again but i cant see it getting any better.

IMO.... id rather drink VB!

Im hoping to get into the brewery to try the beer from the taps next visit to Mudgee but they are only open thursday friday and saturday night..... lunch every day while im working :(

i really hope it was a bottling problem..... shame to see a rural micro putting out poor product!

cheers

Mudgeepaleale1152x1728.jpg

So I gave this beer to my old man as a gift, along with a few other very nice strong beers, for his birthday 3 years ago. Since then it has remain untouched in his fridge, whilst he has been drinking bucketloads of Hahn Superdry and other unmentionably mediocre beverages.

Belgian_BW_002.jpg
Redoak Wee Heavy (vintage 2006/07, there abouts)
If anyone has no understanding of what a "peat" malt aroma smells like, this would definately be the beer to seek out. Smokey, earthy, somewhat spicy to a point, with a robust mollasses-like malt body, which seem somewhat depleted with age, and hints of oxidised raisins and sherry.
Certainly a very different beer, and I really thought age adds some extra complexity to it. Not that the fresh stuff is all that bad either! :icon_drool2:

If anyone has no understanding of what a "peat" malt aroma smells like, this would definately be the beer to seek out.

Funny you should say that - I've been thinking of looking for a peaty beer. What say you, Muggus, to those who suggest that peated malts don't really belong in a beer? How does this sort of smokiness stack up to a Schlenkerla or a 3 Ravens Rauch?

peaty.......... i have a bottles of 10 year laphroig and ardbeg..... mmmmm i love peat! Youngans on my others but at this age the peat is WILD!

may have to track this beer down.

Funny you should say that - I've been thinking of looking for a peaty beer. What say you, Muggus, to those who suggest that peated malts don't really belong in a beer? How does this sort of smokiness stack up to a Schlenkerla or a 3 Ravens Rauch?

Sorry, obviously not Muggus, but I have a view, and dammit I'll be heard! ;)

The style nazis seem to be against an obvious presence of peat smokiness in a Strong Scotch Ale, as the standards use terms like "Peaty, earthy and/or smoky secondary aromas may also be present" and "Hints of roasted malt of smoky flavour may be present", however from the Scotch Ale I tasted in Italy that obviously used Peat Smoked malt, I reckon it works! I can see how it can become over the top if moderation is not used though. Can balance very nicely with the caramel flavours expected in a Scotch Ale.

I think the peat smokiness has a different character to the German Rauch type beechwood smoke character. The former is more earthy and integrated, the later more reminiscent of bacon and differentiated from the other flavours (at least, that is my experience with Schlenkerla Maerzen. Hope that makes sense; to me writing about beer flavours is a bit like dancing about architecture (apologies to Thelonious Monk).

Thanks, Hefevice. Makes perfect sense.

Now to see if it makes sense to my palate.

No need to have apologised, I'm always happy to get as many perspectives as I can.

Now this i enjoyed!!!

Im really on a bitterness run lately. I have a Roggen and a brown ale on tap and they are doing nothing for me. However the NZWPA at 1.047 and 52 IBU :)

I liked he beer before i even tasted it to be honest. I read the label........... it said:

THis is an aggressive beer
We dont care if you dont like it!

They had me at hello :)

http://vimeo.com/9161176

cheers

PunkIPA1152x1728.jpg

Love this beer aswell, for me it truly is a hand crafted beer, well thought out. I likethe use of the ns in this ipa.

Actually i'm all for it. It's potent stuff, if you've ever been to a Scotch distillery, you'd understand! And it certainly is used in good effect in the Redoak beer, as they mention on the beers info page...
"The 2005 brew has the added complexity of an after smokiness created by a peated malt for McCallums Distillery in Scotland added to the beer.
Never tried 3 Ravens, but in comparison to Schlenkeria and other "authentic" rauchbiers, the smokiness is much different. I'd have to say in the Wee Heavy it's not overdone to begin with, but even the smoke flavours are not that really bacon-like, cured meat, smokehouse aromas you get from rauch malts. I'd liken it to the difference between wood freshly burning and smoking coals after a fire. Peat is, afterall, pretty a dirt made from vegetal matter decaying over a large number of years, so the when it's cooked the smoke is far more earthy, as you could imagine, and a very different from wood smoke.

But yeah, enough rambling, I quite like the idea of using such malts, so long as it's not overdone.

Excellent. Cheers, Muggus. Doubles my resolve to try to find a bottle.

Excellent. Cheers, Muggus. Doubles my resolve to try to find a bottle.
I hope you do too!
Like I mentioned, this bottle was well old and purchased at least 3 years ago. Haven't seen it in a bottleshop since, though I think it should (hopefully) still be available at the Redoak Cafe in Sydney in one form or another, which probably doesn't help your quest all too much.

I've definitely seen their Wee Heavy in a Dan Murphy's in the last 6 months or so. Whether it is the same beer or not now is debatable, I guess.

Back