Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two new ones.

Man I loved the Rodenbach. Sour, some balsamic like flavour. Reminded me of the wood aged Baltic porter experiment, that a group on here created.

The Isid'or was also a good beer, but I can't remember the finer points of it now. The price did stand out. at $9 for a 750ml 7.5% trappist ale. I grabbed two

La_Trappe___Isidor.JPG

Rodenbach.JPG

Rochefort 10 - complex aroma of dark fruits, raisins, plums, prunes, a hint of cherry and marmite, big chewy malt on the palate with a sweet but not cloying candy finish - what a great beer!! I nursed my one bottle last night over an hour and was enjoying it more and more as it came to room temp...

Alesmith IPA - Way to fizzy at first, and too cold at 6*c, so I left it to warm up and im so glad that I did, strong clean crisp hop aroma, citrus, lemon, pine sap, lashes of honey, bready and caramel malt up front which is then dominated by a grapefruit and citrus combo on the finish.. Its bitter, but not too bitter, perfectly balanced IMO!!

Wow - these two beers are definately going on my top 10 for 2009!!! :icon_drool2:

I love smoky flavours in cheese, smallgoods, whisky, meats and tomatoes. This sounds like it would be my cup of beer and something I've never tried. Where did you get yours Bum?

International Beer Shop. Mixed carton of my choosing for the B'day.

Slowbeer. Nice little shop that. Prices seem pretty reasonable on the most part.

I am visiting the family in Melbourne in Jan. Slowbeer address has been logged and it will be visited!

Fairly new member so hopefully the Sapporo Edelpils hasn't been covered in this thread yet.
Tasted it about a month ago now, so it isn't too fresh in my memory; but I did remember it was bitter and aromatic and tasted pretty damn good (or I was missing the taste of decent beer after drinking the usual big brand Asian beers for 6 weeks).
P1070606.jpg

A "Bohemia" Pilsner

Uninspiring - a bit of a hop hit in the aroma initially.. but unfortunately the beer was well aged (1 week past used by.. grr) and a little lightstruck. It had no malt character left, no hop character left and was a tiny bit cardboardy.

Wish I knew what it was like fresh - It could be a fine beer. But check the dates if you are tempted to buy this beer from the Duncans on Church st in Richmond. They are normally good about being honest about out of date beers, this one snuck through.

Well the pug has just got its first wof and rego in around 4 years!! Yusss!! Been driving it all afternoon feeling young again lol

At Victoria Park NW today picked up a Sierra Nevada Anniversary ale and an Anchor Steam beer...

Drinking the Steam beer now, its ok, not really my thing, quite thin and bitter, somewhat unbalanced and im not too fond of the hop flavour either.. Oh well, it was good to try it

Well the pug has just got its first wof and rego in around 4 years!! Yusss!! Been driving it all afternoon feeling young again lol

At Victoria Park NW today picked up a Sierra Nevada Anniversary ale and an Anchor Steam beer...

Drinking the Steam beer now, its ok, not really my thing, quite thin and bitter, somewhat unbalanced and im not too fond of the hop flavour either.. Oh well, it was good to try it

Not only do you guys have an amazing selection of beers through the online beer store (I can't remember its name at the moment), but you also have Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale at your supermarkets? Nice.

1999 Vintage Ale, my last bottle of this and I now wish I saved a few more to drink @ 10 years old.

Some sherry and port type flavours, caramel, dried fig, spicey.... pretty damn complex all in all and a really top drop IMHO.

C&B
TDA

Vintage_99.jpg

Localtaphouse Syd today:

- Meantime IPA- fantastic, much fresher & bitter & smoother than the local bottle version. highly recommended

- Feral Hop Hog IPA - very floral, borders on the PA/IPA scale, dont remember high bitterness or aftertaste ... not bad, just not a strong IPA

- Matilda Bay Alpha Pale Ale - nice but not the bitter resinny beer I remember from 2yrs ago :(

- Feral Fanta Pants Imperial Red Ale - darker than a red, this should be labelled an IPA. much stronger than the hop hog, has some nice complex malty hops flavours. perhaps the brewer went mad & added more hops / malt than usual ? recommended :)

- steak sandwich & frittes - great food as usual, filled the spot & slowed the last pint but people watching can be interesting around that area :)

- money quota exceeded, so walked home (downhill :) ) ...

No pics so apologes up front.

Murrays Nirvana Pale Ale - Fantastic. Beautiful malt and hop taste with the aroma to match.

James Squire Sundown - The citrus taste was a bit overpowering but a nice lager on a hot day (which it is as per usual in FNQ)

Patagonia from Argentina - Total Swill. Looked at the bottle and 6 weeks out of date! Dont think it would have made a difference though.

Prost!

(exception to the Patagonia)

gallery_1950_543_15699.jpg

Maltus Faber Birrifico in Genova Extra Brune (10% ABV). Think Duchesse de Bourgogne on steroids (minus the sourness). Wonderful sipper for a cold and stormy day in Genova. Some really intersting beer coming out of the North of Italy at the moment.

Some Stone and Wood Pale from a little while ago. I'm not the hugest fan of this beer but it went down a treat after walking around Brisbane all day.

3999566798_2a6cba53d3_o.jpg

heres some from my recent work trip.
a tasting plate from blue sky in cairns
24092009051.jpg

after being in the solomons and no decent beer, i found this in villa
31102009054.jpg

heres the one that i liked, les 3 brasseurs in neumea.
the christmas ales that they put on just before we left
20112009064.jpg

it was sweet and well ballanced but i couldnt drink more than 3 of them, due to alcohol levels.

Had me a blonde, a virgin blonde.

20091130virginblonde.jpg

Haven't bothered with the non too recent influx of so called blonde beers flooding the market, but though I'd best fall for the marketing ploy behind this one.

Smell; sucks, it's like a mildly skunked beer like a euro lager that's been stuck in a container for 6 weeks of ship travel.

Taste; just as bad as a euro lager.

Marketing's not all it's hyped up to be ;)

Haven't bothered with the non too recent influx of so called blonde beers flooding the market, but though I'd best fall for the marketing ploy behind this one.

Smell; sucks, it's like a mildly skunked beer like a euro lager that's been stuck in a container for 6 weeks of ship travel.

Taste; just as bad as a euro lager.

Marketing's not all it's hyped up to be ;)
False marketing.
They claim it to be a virgin, but in reality it's fucked. :p

gallery_1950_543_15699.jpg

Maltus Faber Birrifico in Genova Extra Brune (10% ABV). Think Duchesse de Bourgogne on steroids (minus the sourness). Wonderful sipper for a cold and stormy day in Genova. Some really intersting beer coming out of the North of Italy at the moment.

Sounds like you're enjoying yourself.
Think of the 35+ C days, 80% humidity and 29 C nights you are missing :p .

Last night I have one of the best beers I've ever had, I can't believe a 10% beer can be soooooo smooth

PB300233.jpg

Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I like this any time, but goes really well with dessert, as the chocolate flavour and aroma is fairly strong. First "Ewww... It's black beer" SWMBO actually requests when I tell her I'm off to the bottle shop.
IMG_1414.jpg

I tried this beer pretty much on the strength of your SWMBO liking it (I'm trying to find some training-wheels beer to turn her into a devotee but not having much luck so far (as yet all she's liked is a fresh SNPA (sorta) and my first AG (well, she says it is better than almost every beer I've bought so that counts. IT DOES SO!!!)). To be honest I only get chocolate in the aroma if I take a huge sniff - normal inhalation only gives me something similar to coffee. Flavour wise I get weak stout flavours and something coffee-like if I look really hard for it.

Didn't work on SWMBO either. All I've got left to try is Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar.

Latest posts

Back