Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheatsheaf Hotel.... While i was waiting for my mate to get his rotor tuned around the corner.

Are you in Paralowie SAbier? Ive probably seen you around the traps, i drink at the whitehorse regularly! Getting slighty :icon_offtopic: lol

DSC00100.JPG

Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA - This is a really nice beer. Really nice. Having said, if you walk into it looking for an uber-SNPA you're gonna need to do a little mental adjustment. With this beer bitterness is king. A very firm but smooth bitterness. Holy Christ, I do like this beer.

Guessing it's the 'torpedo' hopback they're using :) Looking forward to trying some of the Citra hops they use :)

Cheers

DSC00101.JPG

Lagunitas IPA. My initial impression of this beer was that the aroma was pretty fantastic and that I don't recall having an IPA that was this clear before (pretty light in colour too). This has a very nice hop flavour (can't immediately recognise the combination). The bitterness is kinda harsh for my money and maybe even a little subdued for what I like from an IPA - but it is certainly too firm to simply be a pale ale. It is a very nice beer and I think I'm maybe being a little hard on it because it is following a beer which I enjoyed tremendously (I did make every effort to cleanse my palate between).

To be honest I only get chocolate in the aroma if I take a huge sniff - normal inhalation only gives me something similar to coffee. Flavour wise I get weak stout flavours and something coffee-like if I look really hard for it.

Not to detract too much from the current Melbexican/American beer circlejerk.... (Yeah, yeah, I'm jealous :rolleyes: ) but... Wow! The last time I had Youngs Double Chocolate, I remember it being like drinking from a chocolate essence bottle. From memory, I struggled to finish the bottle it was so overly chocolate sweet....

It's a wonderous thing this beer world

Mine came from a retailer that I have bemoaned to a significant extent here already so I suppose I could very well be judging poorly treated example.

View attachment 34014

Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA - This is a really nice beer. Really nice. Having said, if you walk into it looking for an uber-SNPA you're gonna need to do a little mental adjustment. With this beer bitterness is king. A very firm but smooth bitterness. Holy Christ, I do like this beer.

Did you get some of the citra? I think a few people will be working on beers along the lines of this one.

Even though this is the first beer I've ever had that uses Citra, I'll be honest with you - can't really pick up much of anything in there that bares resemblance to the description of that hop. You could dry hop this beer with pretty much any US variety and it'd still be pretty awesome (possibly even more so if you used a fair whack of it to bump up the fruity aroma). I think this one is all about Magnum. Interested to see the BYO clone when someone gets around to posting it.

DSC00102.JPG

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IIPA. I dunno. I wish I'd bought 2 of these because the first is not able to carry the weight of expectation. I've wanted one of these real bad for a long time and it just isn't measuring up. Light foamy head quickly dissipates to a whisp. Oily mouthfeel. Fairly dominant alcohol (though not at all harsh). It is a good beer - a beer I'd be stoked if I made - but I still find myself wanting. Probably more my fault than the beer's.

Meantime IPA

Very impressed with this beer. A big english IPA in line with what this style used to be all about.

Malt upfront followed by a citrusy hop flavour followed by a lingering bitterness. This is how i like my IPAs. Simple but complex at the same time.

England 1 seppos 0 :D

DSCF2446.jpg

View attachment 34050

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IIPA. I dunno. I wish I'd bought 2 of these because the first is not able to carry the weight of expectation. I've wanted one of these real bad for a long time and it just isn't measuring up. Light foamy head quickly dissipates to a whisp. Oily mouthfeel. Fairly dominant alcohol (though not at all harsh). It is a good beer - a beer I'd be stoked if I made - but I still find myself wanting. Probably more my fault than the beer's.

I felt exactly the same way about the 90 min IPA, personally preferred their 60 min but as you say not sure if I just expected more having heard about it and wanting it for a year before actually trying it...

Meantime IPA

Very impressed with this beer. A big english IPA in line with what this style used to be all about.

Malt upfront followed by a citrusy hop flavour followed by a lingering bitterness. This is how i like my IPAs. Simple but complex at the same time.

+1. Had one on tap from the Taphouse...

Brilliant. Probably the best IPA I have had... Very smooth, bitter, hoppy.

Rogue Northwestern Ale. Is this really 70IBU like it says on the tin? Feels more like high 50s to me (though a little harsh, perhaps). Much maltier than the US ales I'm used to but without being objectionable to my hop-biased palate. It does suffer when warming up which seems very odd to me.

Meantime IPA

DSCF2446.jpg
been trying to get a hold of one of these for a while, where did you buy this?

cheers s.

ps. is Sierra Nevada available in Adelaide?

Wheatsheaf Hotel.... While i was waiting for my mate to get his rotor tuned around the corner.

Are you in Paralowie SAbier? Ive probably seen you around the traps, i drink at the whitehorse regularly! Getting slighty :icon_offtopic: lol

hey bit of a late reply but yes Im im Paralowie, just bought a house here a couple of months back so doubt if you wouldve seen me around.

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA - I dunno, between this and the 90 Minute I'm pretty sure I'm not into these continually hopped beers. Sure, they're ridiculously balanced for such crazily hopped beers but there is something in the flavour that I'm not digging. It feels like a wall of hops. I know that sounds awesome but the reality is that this comes across as a real lack of focus. I love hugely bittered, hop face-slaps but these beers are leaving me slightly cold. Both are still very good but I doubt I could ever find a reason to pay so much money for either ever again.

devinerebel.jpg

My last beer for tonight, after quite a few of my Belgian Pales. Devine Rebel is a collaboration between two great commercial brewers, Brewdog and Mikkeller.

Pours surprisingly murky, even after 2 days in the fridge, and a very careful pour. Very little head, but that is usual for a barley wine of this strength. Complex aroma of raisins, honey, caramelised figs, orange and vanilla. Every sniff reveals something new, you can tell the oak is there, but it really only shows through as vanilla and honey. Flavour is just as intriguing, the dark fruit flavours of raisins and prunes, lightly acidic raspberry notes and a good underlying whack of honey and LME. Incredibly balanced though, alcohol is very well hidden. Light pepper and vanilla come through as it warms. Body is actually quite dry in the finish, while still being sticky and full. Really delicious stuff. A real treat for Christmas eve :)

Latest posts

Back