Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meantime IPA

Very impressed with this beer. A big english IPA in line with what this style used to be all about.

Malt upfront followed by a citrusy hop flavour followed by a lingering bitterness. This is how i like my IPAs. Simple but complex at the same time.

England 1 seppos 0 :D

DSCF2446.jpg

Is this the next project? Or have you already started formulating a recipe along the lines of this beer?

DSCF0306.jpg
Struise Mikkeller Collaboration Beer

Slightly hazy amber, persistent medium tan head.

Aroma of currants, raisins, vanilla, toasted nuts and earthy, dank hops.

Medium body, with quite a zesty, tingly mouthfeel, almost prickly from the carbonation.

Suprisingly hoppy in flavour, quite earthy, with some light floral notes. Firm, punching bitterness. Nice pineapple notes, along with currants and figs.

Very drinkable, but I would love to have tried a fresh example as this obviously has a little age.

DSCF0308.jpg
Tsjeeses Reserva 2008

What an awesome label. Stoned jesus!

Pours slightly hazy gold, with a persistent white small head.

Aroma of papaya, grapefruit juice, cinnamon, clove, honey and wood.

Simply beautiful mouthfeel. Silky, soft and full, yet dry in the finish.

Amazing balance of flavours. Tropical fruits, honey, light malt, vanilla coriander seed and perfumed wood (sandlewood?).

Simply special stuff, really moreish. Oak is so subtle, yet blends incredibly well with the complex malt, hop and spice flavours.

DSCF0311.jpg
Pannepot Reserva 2007

I had concerns when opening this - would it live up to the hype? The original Pannepot is probably my favourite beer ever, would oak aging it ruin it? Simple answer is - no.

Pours a deep, dark brown colour, with a short tan head.

Aroma is amazingly complex, but nothing whacks you in the face. Everything is so well blended: prunes, raisins, dried herbs (rosemary, thyme), cocoa, caramel, coriander seed, cinnamon, vanilla, toasted nuts, wild mushrooms, toasted bread and christmas cake.

Silky smooth medium mouthfeel. A little dried than I remember the original, but it doesn't detract in any way.

Flavour is the same - a wonderful, balanced blend of flavours, nothing stands out, yet every sip begs for another. This has that unique quality that only a few big belgians (Westy 12 for example) have - it's totally sessionable. Even though it's incredibly complex, you just want to keep drinking it because it's so freaking good.

In the past I've called the original Pannepot "celebration in a bottle". I can't think of a better description for the reserva version!

DSCF0315.jpg

Had my first (successful) Moo Brew Pale Ale last night. Was a very nice beer ruined by over-carbonation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these fizz-Nazis I see posting every now and then - I carb most of my pales around 2.2-2.5 volumes. And I don't think this one was an example of poor handling as the first one of these I bought was and gashed heavily and the taste was very different. I really do feel this was by design. Anyone else found this with this beer?

Punk IPA

Very nice beer, quite fruit bowl fruity with toffee...yeah, like tropical fruits coated in toffee.

27102009068.jpg

View attachment 34169
Struise Mikkeller Collaboration Beer

Slightly hazy amber, persistent medium tan head.

Aroma of currants, raisins, vanilla, toasted nuts and earthy, dank hops.

Medium body, with quite a zesty, tingly mouthfeel, almost prickly from the carbonation.

Suprisingly hoppy in flavour, quite earthy, with some light floral notes. Firm, punching bitterness. Nice pineapple notes, along with currants and figs.

Very drinkable, but I would love to have tried a fresh example as this obviously has a little age.

View attachment 34170
Tsjeeses Reserva 2008

What an awesome label. Stoned jesus!

Pours slightly hazy gold, with a persistent white small head.

Aroma of papaya, grapefruit juice, cinnamon, clove, honey and wood.

Simply beautiful mouthfeel. Silky, soft and full, yet dry in the finish.

Amazing balance of flavours. Tropical fruits, honey, light malt, vanilla coriander seed and perfumed wood (sandlewood?).

Simply special stuff, really moreish. Oak is so subtle, yet blends incredibly well with the complex malt, hop and spice flavours.

View attachment 34171
Pannepot Reserva 2007

I had concerns when opening this - would it live up to the hype? The original Pannepot is probably my favourite beer ever, would oak aging it ruin it? Simple answer is - no.

Pours a deep, dark brown colour, with a short tan head.

Aroma is amazingly complex, but nothing whacks you in the face. Everything is so well blended: prunes, raisins, dried herbs (rosemary, thyme), cocoa, caramel, coriander seed, cinnamon, vanilla, toasted nuts, wild mushrooms, toasted bread and christmas cake.

Silky smooth medium mouthfeel. A little dried than I remember the original, but it doesn't detract in any way.

Flavour is the same - a wonderful, balanced blend of flavours, nothing stands out, yet every sip begs for another. This has that unique quality that only a few big belgians (Westy 12 for example) have - it's totally sessionable. Even though it's incredibly complex, you just want to keep drinking it because it's so freaking good.

In the past I've called the original Pannepot "celebration in a bottle". I can't think of a better description for the reserva version!

View attachment 34172

Kook

where did you get the De Struise beers from i have seen them on evilbay every now and then.

I really want to get a hold of a couple of their beers

Kleiny

Kook

where did you get the De Struise beers from i have seen them on evilbay every now and then.

I really want to get a hold of a couple of their beers

Kleiny

Amsterdam :lol:

Well, the two reserva bottles anyway. The first one was either from Craftbrewer or the International Beer Shop (I don't remember).

I bought these with some bonuses I got this year.

P1000826_1_.JPG

I loved the High Saison I had on Christmas day - very enjoyable.

Got a Raftman sitting in the fridge as well as some other Unibroue beers.

I keep forgetting to take group shots of the beers I buy, I think it's because the missus would then see how many I get in one hit and questions would be asked ;)

Stone Brewing Oaked Arrogant ******* Ale. Any one else who recently bought this from Purvis Cellars reckon it didn't travel too well? Or do I just not like oaking (my first oaked beer)? This is pretty awful.

I just rechecked the "Enjoy By" date and while it is towards the end it is not so far gone that it should be bad if a best before were to mean anything at all. If it is not as it is meant to be enjoyed then it is a handling issue - which could easily occur in the transportation of these beers from Europe. Having said that, it is a pretty fair bet that the recent US beers that have been made available to us at Purvis all came from the same source and other beers I've had from the (presumed) same shipment have been "amazing". So I dunno, maybe it is me or maybe it is a shit beer. But blaming the used by is a weak excuse in this narrow example.

I understand why Koch feels the way he does but this practice is not "highly unethical". Genocide is highly unethical. Harvesting orphans' organs for the black market is highly unethical. Re-selling beer is just kinda dodge. Maybe this practice is to blame for my bad experience but let's not get hysterical about it, Greg. If he cares so much about protecting his beer's image in a market he doesn't sell to he can do something about trying to sell it there (which I do understand someone is possibly organising in the very near future but the rhetoric stands).

Oh yeah - I should have pointed out that my questions were serious and I was interested to get the feedback of others who have drunk from this shipment to see if it is me or the beer.

i had a bottle or two of that beer and actually really enjoyed it. to me it had a aroma and flavour reminiscent of bourbon. i also found as it warmed in the glass the flavours really mellowed out. ive got to admit though after the cybi description i was expecting a lot more of a hop presence wich i did find lacking. i also found it had a bit of an oxidised character wich could be what you picked up.

Punk IPA

Very nice beer, quite fruit bowl fruity with toffee...yeah, like tropical fruits coated in toffee.

View attachment 34173

Won a six pack of this at BABBs last year in a mini comp. First time for ages I got wasted on a six pack :beerbang: Ended up singing the English national anthem "Jerusalem" on bottle 6 :icon_cheers:

Plenty of time spare watching the cricket, so I edited all the pics I'd take in 2008 that were on my laptop and put together the following pictorial.

Now to work on 2009's pics.

My girlfriend bought home a few beers for me today! The only ones i had had before was the Leffe. So i was a bit excited! I just drank the La Guillotine and it was very nice. 8.5% ALC lots of carbonation and a very big Belgian flavour! it had lots of yeast floating around in it that kinda looked like ice....you know when you leave a beer in a freezer just a tiny bit to long? A good beer! if you have not had it i recomend it!

Latest posts

Back