Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4227967900_cebc796533_m.jpg

bashah - The Black Double Belgian IPA by Stone and BrewDog

It is definitely a beer to wrangle.

I get a very savoury hop presence, and I would hazard a guess at this being NB.
There is a strong chicory, liquorice, black-strap molasses flavour.
There is a definite but pleasant alcohol note, and a very definite, and again pleasant, alcohol kick.

A very intriguing and interesting beer.

31122009_001_.jpg

Today's Slowbeer haul.

Gonna have the Rogue XS IIPA tonight, methinks. And Kriek for m'lady.

Yes but you're drinking it out of the wrong glass. Where's your bragging rights now huh?

Huh?

Yes I'm jealous.

im sorry i didnt get one of the glasses when i was there, ive still got another one left in the fridge at this stage as well as a 12 for later in the night

followed by brewdog/mikkellar divine rebel
30122009091.jpg

Gonna have the Rogue XS IIPA tonight, methinks.

I don't say this very often but... :icon_drool2:

I was kinda hoping that this beer would be a big disappointment. Now I'm going to have to for out $38 per bottle on as regular a basis as I can manage.

nice kook
had a bottle of that but drank it a while ago. really enjoyed the brewery tour. ill get around to putting up pics eventually
just up to westvleteren 12. very smooth.
30122009093.jpg

after this im going compare my trios pistole with the real one

Nothing compared to the Belgians above but here we go...
Kwak_002.jpg
Pauwel Kwak (wish I had the mini yard for it)
Certainly lets you know it's strength from the word go; thick caramelised body, lots of spicy phenolics, alcohol warmth is not shy.
Bit one dimensional for a Belgian strong, with only a hint of ripe banana and bubblegum in the background. Not bad, but doesn't compare to others of this style.

Saranac IPA - Gorgeous deep copper colour and diamond bright. Tastes like a young Coopers Lager tin with a bunch of Cascade late hopping. Pretty awful really.

im sorry i didnt get one of the glasses when i was there, ive still got another one left in the fridge at this stage as well as a 12 for later in the night

Don't be sorry about the glass. Be sorry that you didn't decide manticle should have the beers instead. I can PM you my address if you lose interest in the 12?

Sorry about worse than usual pic quality. I've had to downgrade phone handset.

02012010_001_.jpg

Rogue Smoke Ale - Usually I don't get this adventurous with my selections. I love my bitter pales and with so much room to move in those styles I haven't felt the need to wander too far as of yet. However in November, on impulse, I got a Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock and was pretty much obsessed. I recently went back to the same retailer hoping to find another but they were out. I grabbed one of these and a 3 Ravens Dark Smoked Ale instead. Where the Schlenkerla is all complex smoke and bacon and, um, other stuff, this beer is one dimensional bushfire followed by a lingering peppery, warm alc sensation. This is an interesting though, for me, unpleasant experience.

One of my aims for the coming year is to brew a Bamberg inspired rauchbier and my fear now is that it may turn out like this one instead.

Top effort Geoff. very envious.

Don't be mate, I just like to try something different and make the effort to hunt out the different ones.

I worked out today there's about a dozen other beers that are on my regular buy list that I never got around to taking pictures of, like Duke Pale Ale, Gage Roads IPA, Barons ESB, Rogers, Hoegaarden, stuff like that.

Will make sure to take pics of them the next time I have them and add them to the list for 2010 ;)

beachy
i wont say it was the worst ive had but it was average. the 12 i had latter was the best with the trios pistole a close second.
there were a lot better in belgium

Latest posts

Back