Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Bamberg Aaecht Rauchbier. I am no BJCP judge and my adjective vocab is sadly lacking but this is something different. Smells like any smoked food you get like bacon, cheese and tastes likewise.

P1030715a.jpg

Schloss Eggenberg Hopfen Konig from Austria. Not quite as heavy on the hops as a Pilsner Urquell but a very refreshing beer.

P1030713a.jpg

SP Lager from PNG. Not a lot to say about this one but if it was on tap i would be drinking it over VB or Toohey's New. Has a nice hop character not dissimilar to Lions Nathan brewed Heineken.

P1030670a.jpg

A Bamberg Aaecht Rauchbier.

Weird. I'm drinking that right now. I submit photographic evidence.

DSC00083.JPG

Smoked Bacon Inna Biskit inna glass.

This is the darkest beer I have ever enjoyed. Maybe "enjoyed" is too strong a word? Perhaps I am more "pleasantly challenged" by this beer. Will definitely try this again.

I love smoky flavours in cheese, smallgoods, whisky, meats and tomatoes. This sounds like it would be my cup of beer and something I've never tried. Where did you get yours Bum?

Slowbeer. Nice little shop that. Prices seem pretty reasonable on the most part.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I like this any time, but goes really well with dessert, as the chocolate flavour and aroma is fairly strong. First "Ewww... It's black beer" SWMBO actually requests when I tell her I'm off to the bottle shop.
IMG_1414.jpg

Brew Boys Stellar Ale. This was nice too. Kinda sweet as it has Star Anise in it. They suggest to cellar it for 1 - 3 years, but because it was cold when I bought it, I thought I may as well drink it. Going to buy a few more and actually cellar them.
IMG_1415.jpg

Oh and Scotch Fillets in the background are about to go on the grill. :)

Cheers!
Mitch

Furthering my allegory where quality of photography is symbolic of the quality of the review:

DSC00084.JPG

Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA. Nice but almost feint aroma. Good, solid bitterness. That's really about it for the pluses. I have a question about this beer. My question about this beer is as follows: how do you make a 60 IBU beer but have every single point of it's 7.1% ABV painfully apparent? Even after having finished it 30 min ago I can still feel it in my mouth when I breathe. It's a decent beer still but nowhere near worth the price of entry.

+1. I'm a big sucker for smoked meats.
(Get your mind out of the gutter!)

Based on reading this thread last night I found a bottle of said smoked beer in Northcote. It's waiting for me to drink my way through a few other things.

First was Cidrerie d'Anneville Cidre Traditionnel: a naturally fermented cider from Normandy. This is the first naturally fermented cider I've tried and it was delicious. It was like apples and a winery in a glass. Not wine but the slightly dank, musty oak smell you get when you visit the cellars of a winery. Very mildly sweet with a good hit of sour but not mouth puckering. Definitely not to everyone's tastes but I'll be trying a few more of these.

I also bought a faro lambic but it too is waiting, along with a westmalle dubbel (my favourite of the trappist dubbels that I've tried).

No photos.

SP Lager from PNG. Not a lot to say about this one but if it was on tap i would be drinking it over VB or Toohey's New. Has a nice hop character not dissimilar to Lions Nathan brewed Heineken.

I pollished off a few of these at Port Morsbey airport at 9am one day. Not a bad beer but not as good as the Export!

Its nice and bitter, crisp, clean with a light floral hopiness.

It would hold up well with Aus premium beers and at $3 a beer...... well priced.

Also pollished of a few at the Airways hotel in Port Morsbey. Bloody good spot that... even if getting there is a tad hairy! :unsure:

PS..... was eating Pizza as well and killed the head but after 4 weeks in a dry camp mine site in the highlands..... i didnt care! It was 34 deg in June.

cheers

12072009_004_.jpg

Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA. Nice but almost feint aroma. Good, solid bitterness. That's really about it for the pluses. I have a question about this beer. My question about this beer is as follows: how do you make a 60 IBU beer but have every single point of it's 7.1% ABV painfully apparent? Even after having finished it 30 min ago I can still feel it in my mouth when I breathe. It's a decent beer still but nowhere near worth the price of entry.

I had one of these a month or two ago. Agree with your impressions. Nice enough but not really anything to write home about. Had much better homebrewed IPAs via case swaps. I dont remember the alc standing out like you described. Its possible you had a mistreated bottle.

cheers
Andrew.

View attachment 33078

Bought two of these a month or so back. Been waiting for the right moment to crack it. Just ran out of gas for my kegerator for some reason :( What better time to open up this baby.

Couldn't drink something this good without something to eat, so quickly threw this pizza together (rocket toppa - my favourite!)

View attachment 33079

Heavy brett pie cherry nose. Strong malt flavour with warming alcohol - lingers of with some complex caramel. Sorry not that great at describing beers, but definately worth the price tag ($55 for 2). An amazing beer is an understatement!

Cheers
Phil
Hey Phillip, Is that AA3. I have still got a bottle that I am thinking of opening this christmas.

DSC00086.JPG

Tuatara IPA - Not quite as dark as my phone camera suggests. Thin head that disappears quickly but still seems to lace the glass nicely. They bang on about how traditional this beer is and perhaps it is exactly like an IPA might have been in the 1800s or whenever but compared to an IPA from further down the shelf in the shop? It seems pretty pissweak. It is a nice enough beer but I'm seeing it as an unbalanced Pale Ale (and not a very malty one at that) rather than an IPA - firm bitterness but everything else very much takes a back seat here. I guess it would be a very sessionable beer for those who like quite bitter beers (me) but I think there are probably better options in this regard.

Furthering my allegory where quality of photography is symbolic of the quality of the review:

I had one of these a month or two ago. Agree with your impressions. Nice enough but not really anything to write home about. Had much better homebrewed IPAs via case swaps. I dont remember the alc standing out like you described. Its possible you had a mistreated bottle.
cheers
Andrew.

We all came to the same consencous at the BJCP course in Melbourne.

The bitterness is there however the alcohol is heavy, it lingers and unfortunatly detracts from any of the decent malt qualities that my be present. To be brutally honest, the quality of this beer as an AIPA is lacking in plenty of areas. The nose is just not there and the hoppyness that does exist, is somewhat harsh. Possibly due to the heavy alcohol present.

Not the best representation of the style unfortunatly.

Beers_003.jpg
Cracked open this "new" La Trappe beer the other day; Isid'or.
Sort of a strongish Belgian-style amber ale really. Not rich enough to be considered a dubbel, which is odd for a 7.5%.
Plenty of spicy peppery yeasty phenolics and ripe stonefruit flavours with a biscuity caramel malt body.
It's decent, but I reckon it falls a bit short compared to similiar beers.

Beers_006.jpg
Also swung by the local independant bottle 'o and snagged a few brews to keep me going for a while.

Gonna have a bit of a crack over teh next few days - just bought $120 bucks worth of mixed beer, most of which I haven't tasted before

1st - the one I bought in bulk because it was cheap (slab of cans for $33) and its hot today.

Furstenbrau

I'd say its a Munich Helles / Continental Pale lager.. probably leaning more towards the Helles. Nice firm pilsner maltiness, bittered just barley to balance, hint of noble hop on the nose. Tastes a fraction adjuncty - but its Water Malt Hops Yeast on the ingredients list.

There isn't an Aussie Macro beer I would have in preference to this and its better than "most" micro brewed lagers. But you have to be in the mood for light lager - it ain't no flavour explosion. Lets put it this way. I drank the first few out of a glass to get the full experience... I have degraded to sucking it straight out of the can. But - I will go back to the glass for the first few on my next session.

A serviceable if not spectacular German style lager.. from Greece.

Only about 15 more to go...

Thirsty

Sitting down tonight in the hotel room. Luckily the bottlo across from the hotel had Samuel Smiths. I have the Old Brewery Pale, the Nut Brown and the Oatmeal stout for desert.....that should do me I reckon.

Sorry but I don't have any pics....I love the guys that post with the glass and bottle, top work.

I have had a few of the flying dogs too (last week) and the AIPA was pretty uninspiring, the others OK but not stand out. I think I paid somewhere between $7-10 dollars for a stubby too. Good to rty it but never again.

Back