Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Following this up with a classic:

DSC_3206.JPG

Haand Bryggeriert - Odin's Tipple.

Reasonably confident that I have a new favourite bottled stout. Well, they call it a "dark Norse ale" but it is pretty damned stouty. Never have I had an 11% beer where the alc is hidden so well - for some reason I thought it was around 8-9% when I was drinking it and thought they'd hidden it well even then. Big roast notes without ever getting acrid. Really, really nice beer. This brewery never ceases to amaze me.

Yo-Ho Brewing Yona Yona Ale.

Pretty good example of a session-friendly APA. Nice citrus and caramel in the aroma and flavour. Slight rindiness. Out-SNPAs SNPA for my money. Little alcohol bite would be the only flaw I'm tasting.

Yeasty Boys Rex Attitude.

Okay, only just poured so it still needs to warm up a bit but I'm pretty disappointed so far. Was expecting a real mind-**** kind of beer. It is actually fairly approachable once you get past the smoke/dentist office smell (antiseptic and latex gloves? dunno). I don't mind it but don't love it either. The safest "insane" beer ever.

bum said:
Yeasty Boys Rex Attitude.

Okay, only just poured so it still needs to warm up a bit but I'm pretty disappointed so far. Was expecting a real mind-**** kind of beer. It is actually fairly approachable once you get past the smoke/dentist office smell (antiseptic and latex gloves? dunno). I don't mind it but don't love it either. The safest "insane" beer ever.
You must have one hell of a beer shop at your convenience bum, or do you order online?

Slowbeer and Purvis Beer are both located on the same street. Bit of a hike for me to get there so I don't do it very often but we're still fairly spoiled there.

No Picture (Again sorry) but grabbed 1.5 liters of Coronado Idiot FYO goodness. Bitter up front with great lingering hops on the tongue.

pommiebloke said:
Haven't had one of these since my student days in Yorkshire. Going to enjoy this one:

Had one of those last week very enjoyable. Also tried a double choc porter that was really good.

I went to an Aldis yesterday while waiting for a script, i've never been in there before but a six pack for $13 caught my eye.

It's a US beer from someone called Hopper Whitman, it's Belgian White Ale according to the label. Turned out to be a very nice wheat beer. i don't know bugger all about styles or what it suppossed to classed as, but for $2 odd a stubbie i am pretty impressed.

Southern Bay Brewing Le Petit Tranc - let's get this right out of the way: I don't know anything about saisons. I've had Saison DuPont and thought it was gorgeous, La Sirene Wild Saison had an interesting lemon thing going on but I felt it was a bit too subtle overall, Nogne O/Bridge Road's Saison IPA or whatever it was was a dog of a beer. That's near enough to the full extent of my saison experience.

This beer smells metallic and medicinal under some Belgian funk notes. SWMBO is smelling "tinned baby corn" but I'm not getting that. I'm tasting indistinct Belgian funkiness, some very light citrus, spice in the mouthfeel but not flavour (might just be the dryness and alc combining). Bit more bitter than I'd expect a saison to be and maybe a little chewy (but as I say, I don't know shit about the style).

Haand Bryggeriet Sur Megge - Initial impression is that is smells like a lighter, brighter (fruity?) version of Rodenbach. Very excited at this point. Tastes entirely different. The funky/sour stuff goes to the harsher end of the scale towards the more hardcore beers of the lambic school (which I'm not sure this beers claims to be). Beers like this are beyond my vocabulary. There is a hard, biting character that is not dissimilar to bitterness on the tongue but is neither hop nor grain derived, wouldn't say tannic either (but it may be) - maybe like an intense rindiness but with little fruit to it? Very complex beer - too much going on for me to pick up much since it isn't one of my pet styles.

Once I got used to the funk it was pretty much just straight-up lemon and a little warm alc.

Got the St Feuillien pack from Dan's on the weekend....zomg...some nice beers and the Brune was amazing...and I got a nice glass out of it too :D

16478_10151492865799400_1119251227_n.jpg

Went back and got two more pints of the Old Peculiar today. For $5 a bottle it's unbeatable. Also got a Midnight Black IPA from Temple and a West Coast IPA.

punkin said:
Went back and got two more pints of the Old Peculiar today. For $5 a bottle it's unbeatable. Also got a Midnight Black IPA from Temple and a West Coast IPA.
Are you picking these up from Armidale? Havent seen the Temple Midnight Black IPA.

Brew Matt said:
What did you end up paying for this? Our DM had them for $25, then reduced to $20. Looked interesting.
I got it before the reduction ($25)...still worth it, 3 nice beers and a really nice glass

Also the glass has the brewery crest engraved in the bottom to keep the bubbles going...very cool to watch, though got harder to watch as the night goes on haha

Brew Matt said:
Are you picking these up from Armidale? Havent seen the Temple Midnight Black IPA.

No here in Tamworth.

The bottle shop at Calala has an owner who loves craft beer. He's set up a little back shed with racks of different beers. Not a huge range, but if more people start buying he's keen to stock more.
Definately more craft beers than i've seen in any other country town.

http://www.localstore.com.au/store/15552/the-bottle-o/tamworth/

Well worth supporting for any locals or people who visit. 10% discount on 4 or more beers.

A bit late posting this, but better late than never I suppose.

My order form Int. Beer Shop came a few weeks back with a mix of different styles to try out. I picked 6 in total for my first order (gets expensive when you start picking them out), and here is what I came up with in order of appearance:

1. Cantillon - Kriek 100% Lambic (Lambic)
  2. Orkney - Skull Splitter (Scotch Ale)
  3. Green Flash - West Coast IPA (IPA)
  4. Mikkeller + Three Floyds - Boogoop (Barley/Wheat Wine)
  5. Epic - Hop Zombie (Double IPA)
  6. Fullers - ESB (ESB)
IMG_20130218_160718.jpg

As of now, I only have the Boogoop and the Kriek Lambic left to try. I finished the Epic Hop Zombie about 10mins ago, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was more centered around hop flavour rather than bitterness, but that may be due to the age of it (not sure when it was bottled), but it was more smooth than the West Coast IPA which I found to have a bit of bitterness throughout which did distract a bit from the flavour.

Fullers ESB was a quite enjoyable beer as well, something I could see myself going to if it was at a pub versus the usual (hahn, west end, xxxx, etc). Definitely a session beer.

The Skull Splitter was very nice. As with some reviews I've read, you can tell that it is a higher alcohol, especially when you let it warm to room temperature as the alcohol warmth starts to shine through more. The Epic Hop Zombie was around the same strength, yet I didn't get any sign of it being a high alcohol beer which was great, but I definitely want to try a few more scotch ales. Skull Splitter had an almost Christmas fruit cake type taste to it, and I could definitely see it pairing well with a slice of it. If only it was winter during Christmas because it would go down a treat in front of the fire.

I enjoyed the West Coast IPA, and I would happily order it again, but as mentioned above, it seem to be more bitter than the Hop Zombie which did distract a bit from the flavour, but I'm really keen to try it again soon to see how I find it after having the Hop Zombie.

I must say, I'm really excited about trying the Lambic, the reviews I've seen and read make it seem like something I would like, so hopefully I'll be able to get onto it in the next couple days.

The barley/wheat wine is another one I'm looking forward to trying, but I'll probably split that up over multiple sessions (Re-capping it) or sharing it with my dad and future father-inlaw.

Anyway, here is a shot of the Epic Hop Zombie from tonight:

IMG_20130302_175406.jpg

This one really hit me. I can feel it now, but I'm not much of a drinker to begin with, more a drinker trying different things just to see what they taste like.

Hope everyone is having a good saturday night! I had to be up at 530am for work, and the same time tomorrow so it'll be an easy one for me.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back