Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC_2985.JPG

Puntigamer, the "beery" beer :blink:

Austrian 5% Pils, so so

contains ascorbic acid as an anti oxidising agent. (Is that the secret, just chuck a teaspoon into fermenter or keg?)

86745004-A5D7-4E96-863F-5E90048D4D1C-12010-0000054A157E6B2E.jpg

Brouwerij het anker. 8.5%

Picked one up from (I think first choice).

Delicious. Prefer it to chimay blue. I detect a hint of citrus yeasty aroma, that unmistakable Belgian taste (I dunno nutty/bitey/I'm bad at describing it). The alcohol is well hidden in the taste but the warmth isn't. Easy to sip. Not giving me puke urges like chimay does.

Will buy again.

image.jpg

Chimay Blue....

Nom nom nom nom... Not the best selection for a warm afternoon, but going down a bloody great after a sticky, sweaty day at work! 750ml bottle and a Stella Artois pint glass.... Wrong glass, right country! Go big, or go home!

Cheers

I am chewing through a carton of Harviestoun B&T. God I like this beer. I know it is like the millionth post I have made on it, but the balance is great for the 4.2% abv and it holds up so well to standard issue Australian mal-handling, I mean it has a hint of ox, but they must really look after it through the brewery processes.

Bribie G said:
Taking my camera for a walk around Newtown today which is a good way of getting from pub to pub. After a JSGA, a Coopers Green and a Stone and Wood I'm now at the Townie with a Reschs Draught.

As usual it is holding its head up proudly, a good honest old style Aussie with tons of flavour and a nice long bitter finish.

Actually more enjoyable to me than the hoppy but not in a totally nice way S&W. As the manager agreed it's a pity that it is becoming hard to find as it is being forced off the fonts by the increasing JS and fat yak and - of late - cider brands.
The Union in Newtown has fantastic beers.

tiprya said:
The Union in Newtown has fantastic beers.
Ended up at the Court House Hotel with Mckenry yesterday and we demolished a few - not a bad spot and it's heartening to see that the Gen Y guys and chicks who flock there drink mostly Young Henrys, Fat Yak, Stone and Wood etc.

Had a 4 Pines Kolsch today. What an awesome beer! I had it a year ago and it was so shit. Maybe a bad batch dunno but the one I just had was so clean, crisp, cold with a nice malt presence and carbonated perfectly. Nice one 4 Pines! Almost better than Tony's Kolsch, but thats always fresh out of the keg so....

Enrolled my son at Wollongong Uni on Wednesday, spent some time at the Uni Bar while waiting,
got a big suprise, almost full range of JS on tap, good range of crafties in the fridge, including White Rabbit and Knapstein.
JS Golden Ale on tap, first time for me, not too bad, much better than in the bottle.
May just be able to survive the occasional lunchtime visit with the lad.

I know I should be ashamed but I never bothered to try a saison because the style guidelines hint at sourness and I hate that.

Anyhoos, my mate gave me a bunch of beers for my birthday and one of them was a 750 ml bottle (corked) of Saison Dupont.

That was f**king amazing.

It's one of only 4 beers to make it to my all-time greatest beers list.

FYI: It was served at 8 C into a large, thick wine glass (kinda like a Duvel glass).

verysupple said:
I know I should be ashamed but I never bothered to try a saison because the style guidelines hint at sourness and I hate that.

Anyhoos, my mate gave me a bunch of beers for my birthday and one of them was a 750 ml bottle (corked) of Saison Dupont.
thats a bloody good mate ! :icon_drool2: .probably the bench mark of all saison you can buy right there, sour beers are very interesting thats for sure, even if saisons are on the milder sourness side.

having a good ol chimay red 7% bb 2014 , bout a year old, and its bloody luberly :chug:chimay red 001 (480x640).jpg
i almost find that i overlook such quality beers like this seaching for unicorns and the like, and you can buy chimays nearly everywhere these days, sort of a common luxury.

My old man turned up to my place today and said "I brought some beer". Handed me a soft sided esky bag....normally I'd expect to see his version of "different" beers by pulling out a low carb Peroni or a Bitburger :icon_drool2: . Opened the bag to find a Weihenstephan Hefe and a large bottle of Figjam IPA. I'm finally 'learning' him!!

Tell us what you think about the Figjam IPA. I was not very impressed after Ballast Point Bigeye and Tower 10. Also love SN Torpedo but a fair bit overpriced.

I enjoyed the Figjam, but i've had better IPA's. I liked the SN Torpedo much more when I last had it. That being said, I'm not a huge IPA fan. With the figjam at 7% abv and 70 IBU...great as a tryout of something different, but I'm never going to bother stocking up on them.

yum beer said:
Enrolled my son at Wollongong Uni on Wednesday, spent some time at the Uni Bar while waiting, got a big suprise, almost full range of JS on tap, good range of crafties in the fridge, including White Rabbit and Knapstein. JS Golden Ale on tap, first time for me, not too bad, much better than in the bottle. May just be able to survive the occasional lunchtime visit with the lad.
Man... times have changed since I went to UOW.

Chip sambo and CPA used to be the standard order... for everyone I knew.

Bizier said:
Man... times have changed since I went to UOW.

Chip sambo and CPA used to be the standard order... for everyone I knew.
Yeah a lot different then when I was there 16 years ago....coffee shops, sushi bars, food court...was a little weird sitting in one of my old lecture theatres for the info session...
and the girls have gotten ugly.....well most of 'em....

epic-hop-zombie-returns-2012.jpg

Had one of these yesterday for the first time.
Some IPA's I find overly bitter with nothing else to back it up - not so the Hop Zombie!
Lots of flavour and not too bitter, very nice indeed.

Back