Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MHB said:
Cross another one off the bucket list?
Phenomenal beer and if anyone gets the chance try it, I personally suspect some of its reputation is based on the exclusivity and unavailability of the beer. Saying that takes nothing away from what is one of the worlds great beers.
I aspire to brewing that well, not enough to give up sex, learn Latin and live in a cold draughty old stone pile where you cant talk, just have to hope that's not what it takes...
Mark

Vit pix yet
attachicon.gif
Westvleteren_XII_900.jpg
Envy,

My mate is working in Belgium and got me this glass.

Merely the glass... and I hope his next trips home will occasion the corresponding ale

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479193820.260246.jpg

Meddo said:
Spent half the day bending up a complex (if untidy) copper immersion chiller. Reckon I've earned these, refreshing as fvck. The melon's the pick of the two in my book.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20161112_161819 - Edited.jpg
If you don't mind me asking where did you pick those up from? I've going around all my local shops and they have nothing that's a bit different (only if it mainstream brewers).

The glasses are great and the beer is also lovely. Much easier to get here than westy though so you should be able to fill easily enough.

Citrusy, pine, resinous... ahhh **** it, just read the label! Either way, it's making going back to work tomorrow for a 2 week swing that little bit more bearable. Yes I'm drinking from a wine glass.

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

bevan said:
If you don't mind me asking where did you pick those up from? I've going around all my local shops and they have nothing that's a bit different (only if it mainstream brewers).
Got those ones from Hawthorne Super Cellars, reckon I've also seen them in the Archive Beer Boutique bottle-o in West End. Both great bottle-os for craft beer in Brissy.

Westvleteren Abt 12 is very nice. I had an opportunity to try a few times over the years.The old bottles had plain caps, but the more recent bottles have printing on the bottle cap. The bottles are still without a label, just the raised rim.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 stacks up pretty well against WV12. If you are trying to brew something similar to WV12 and need to do taste comparisons, getting your brew close to St. Bernardus will get you most of the way there. St. Bernardus is easier and cheaper to source.

BTW: Vleteren is a good place for beer. De Struise Brouwers are just down the road in Oostvleteren.

A friend of mine goes to Belgium a couple of times a year on buying trips and always gets to Westvleteren and picks up a few for private consumption, occasionally some are available through his beer import business. see International Beer Collector he also has glasses.
The St Bernardus are great and nothing bad ever came out of Struise either, personally I think the Westvleteren Blond is one of my favourite Belgian beers.
Mark

Zorco - I'm a member and it's seriously good value.

I pay around 50 per month (that's beer plus postage to TAS) to get 6 really fresh and different beers (mostly Belgian but some dutch and uk too), rarely commonly found here. Also they have extras available for pretty great prices, (previously lovely beers have included tripel karmeleit for 4.50 and malheur 12 for less than 10).

Helps that I don't have the same access to commercial belgians here compared with Melbourne* but I am a big fan. IBC is also where I got my Westvleteren mentioned above.

*recent visit to coolwine says all is not lost

Pratty1 said:
Please explain ? Lol
Had a mate coming over from LA, asked him nicely. Did give him a mixed 6 of Aussie craft beer to say thank you. Plus shouted him dinner the other night.

Think that's a fair trade.

manticle said:

I pay around 50 per month (that's beer plus postage to TAS) to get 6 really fresh and different beers (mostly Belgian but some dutch and uk too), rarely commonly found here. Also they have extras available for pretty great prices, (previously lovely beers have included tripel karmeleit for 4.50 and malheur 12 for less than 10).

Helps that I don't have the same access to commercial belgians here compared with Melbourne* but I am a big fan. IBC is also where I got my Westvleteren mentioned above.

Cheers mate, I'm looking forward to this. Will join for the December delivery!

manticle said:

Zorco said:
Cheers mate, I'm looking forward to this. Will join for the December delivery!
It really is an insanely good deal! How have I not heard about this before? Gonna join up for December also

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479518751.839093.jpg

Choices... was lucky enough to meet Chris the brewer at a food festival last weekend, lovely chap. Any brewery that brews an Altbier gets my attention these days! So really there isn't much choice in terms of which I'll have first today...

I was impressed with this one.
Nice and clean low bitterness and a nice gentle hop aroma and flavour. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479524447.258073.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479542816.964424.jpg

Finally had a chance to try My first Flanders red. Went beautifully with the pork knuckle! The staff at the Belgian Beer Cafe seem to love the wife and I, as while most clientele are drinking pints of Stella, we have so far sampled the tripel karmaliet and the Grand Cru. Will finish off with a nice Gueze shortly.

I love the Flanders, I don't get all that much balsamic that others rage about but do get a wonderful cherry aroma and flavour from the Brett, but I think I'm more a lambic man.

Anybody had a crack at this? Guessing it would pair well with a full English breakfast and a crushing hangover.

sriracha-beer-crop.png

At 40c today in the factory these are going down a treat.
Lord nelson Quayle ale.
Slightly sweet on the finish with a lovely set of floral hops. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479795209.397997.jpg

Spotted some cases of Becks at Aldi for $39, the dinkum 5% ABV variety, not the dumbed down Lion version from Lidcombe that probably comes off the same spigot as New (if they still have rights to it since the MegaEvilConglomerateBrew mergers).

becks.jpg

Very nice, good Euro malt and hops hit and very clean (no Lion/CUB mouse piss from the domestic malts). On reading the fine print on the bottle it's all in Turkish. I bummed around Turkey for a year in the 70s so picked up a bit of the lingo and yes, it's BUL in Izmir by the Efes Pilsen mob.

Turks do a good beer - when I lived there I was already a CAMRA member from back home and Efes Pilsen got my tick, many a good session on it.

Well that's globalisation for you.

Afiyet Olsun :beerbang:

Taste testing a bottle of Guinness Extra straight after my own Stout attempt which has been sitting in the bottle for the last 2 months. Good way to pick up on the differences, even better way to start off the afternoon. More Roasted Barley I say!
My own attempt wasn't meant to be a Guinness clone, and I can taste the contrast right away. Gives good indicators for my next try and the grains I might play around with. Got some Flaked Barley last weekend :).

After I tried a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale last month (bloke serving at the bottlo, "WTF, it's not stout") I'm starting to think life's not all about Stout, and have attempted a couple of Pale Ales with dry hopping. Home brewing is opening my eyes, and amazingly the beer I'm brewing myself now has less alcohol content than what was my shelf purchase mainstays in the past.
If there was ever a good reason to home brew, it's to reduce your alcohol intake.

Latest posts

Back