Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WarmerBeer said:
gtngn6sl.jpg

Dainton's All Black IPA. Nice beer from a G&G alumni gone commercial.

Have found some Black IPA's to be a little too astringent, but this is lovely malt, a little roast, and balanced by firm, without being over-the-top bitterness. Could maybe go more aroma hops, but they're still there, just not whacking you across the back of the nostril.
Had this one on the weekend. One of the nicest beers I've had in a while.

I have these 3 lovely ladies to keep me company tonight.
The lager is crisp and clean with a mid hop aroma and flavour.
The pale is very hoppy with minimal bitterness.
The double is not quite what I would call a double ipa but still easy drinking and sessionable.
Loads of hop burps.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1478502094.825435.jpg

Where does Macedonia rank among the great brewing nations? $1.50ea from NQR. Only the best in this house. Only 2 months ood ;)

1478583433647.jpg

Brewdog Elvis juice grapefruit infused IPA. Not quite as hoppy as I would have hoped but a nice hit of grapefruit. I think the sculpin grapefruit from ballast point is a better grapefruit beer.

Bridges said:
Brewdog Elvis juice grapefruit infused IPA. Not quite as hoppy as I would have hoped but a nice hit of grapefruit. I think the sculpin grapefruit from ballast point is a better grapefruit beer.
I had this last weekend with dinner and wasn't convinced. After a morning swim while frying bacon I tried it again and it was delicious as a breakfast beer. Makes sense really.

Sierra Nevada Otra Vez. Drinkable but not mind blowing.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1478927145.032120.jpg

Gage Roads Little Dove. A great beer, really well balanced, it's a shame I only got one stubby of it.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1478927227.724514.jpg

I cant recommend this beer highly enough, trying this fresh from the brewery is on my bucket(or is it pint) list. Love the haze.

IMG_0998.JPG

Spent half the day bending up a complex (if untidy) copper immersion chiller. Reckon I've earned these, refreshing as fvck. The melon's the pick of the two in my book.

IMG_20161112_161819 - Edited.jpg

ScottyDoesntKnow said:
I cant recommend this beer highly enough, trying this fresh from the brewery is on my bucket(or is it pint) list. Love the haze.
Yep, that's a cracker.

One of my local restaurants has it on tap - unfortunately the food isn't that great/cheap, but I still go there for this.

Murray's Fred is great, but you really need to get it fresh. A couple of months in the fridge takes it from exceptional to just very nice.

Just got my hands on 2 bottles of Pliny The Elder, Bottled on the 11th of last month.

Excited is an understatment.

I have had Fred in a glass direct from the bright tank.
I agree fresh is best.

Tahoose said:
Just got my hands on 2 bottles of Pliny The Elder, Bottled on the 11th of last month.

Excited is an understatment.
Please explain ? Lol

No photo because I'm not much of a photographer and there's no label.

I am however very excited to try Westvleteren 12. Just under $40 a 330 mL so I have one and one only. The price tag commands high expectations but I'm hoping to stick to merit and also compare my still bulk maturing belgian quad that is tasting delicious from the secondary/bulk ageing vessel (dangerously so).

Drunk from a westmalle glass in my backyard while brewing an aipa of sorts.

A bit lighter in colour than mine but both dark with a ruby hue. Head forms but dissipates immediately.

Aroma of caramel, burnt sugar, candied fruit, all subtle. Flavour is soft bread, christmas jellies, candied fruit, toffee and stewed plum. Sweet, soft, bugger all alcohol, spritzy at the front but soft at the back of the throat, not burpy.

Surprisingly delicate.

Excellent beer, with a reputation well deserved.

Best in the world? Hard to say because tastes vary but indubitably wonderful.

Worth $40 a stubby?

Well at least once in a lifetime and that time is now.

Yeah. Mostly dead animals but give me a month and I'l draw the bottle in MS paint using a mouse*.

It will be quite telling.

*PC mouse, not dead mouse

Cross another one off the bucket list?
Phenomenal beer and if anyone gets the chance try it, I personally suspect some of its reputation is based on the exclusivity and unavailability of the beer. Saying that takes nothing away from what is one of the worlds great beers.
I aspire to brewing that well, not enough to give up sex, learn Latin and live in a cold draughty old stone pile where you cant talk, just have to hope that's not what it takes...
Mark

Vit pix yet
Westvleteren_XII_900.jpg

Interestingly I got bugger all phenolics.

All fruit. My quad (6-8 months old) is quite spicy and peppery, despite big yeast pitch and low fermentation temperature.

Oxygen is the only currently missing feature* from my brewery I aim to fix soon.

Phenolics in mine are not unpleasant - just not present in my w12 and the belgians I rate most high are more brwad/fruit/soft/delicate than overt phenolics.

*Maybe not only. I have a couple of pots, an esky and an ots element. After oxygen, I need a sweet sheperdess called Odette.

Latest posts

Back