Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belhaven Scottish Ale -been wanting to try what I presume is Scotch Ale.Very nice IMG_0154.JPG
A bit of trivia,I did my trade apprenticeship in Adelaide Hills-around 92/93 Coopers had an old chapel converted into a pub/club.There was a Scotch Ale on tap-from memory it was a bit of a trial,don't know if many other pubs had it-had very different palate then-didn't think much of it then but reckon it would be something I'd rather like if the belhaven was anything to go on.My boss used to love it.

Last night, iStout by 8 wired, super smooth at 10%!! Price let it down at $25 for 500mL which forced me to share with 3 haha.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475982907.162130.jpg

Lager Bloke said:
Belhaven Scottish Ale -been wanting to try what I presume is Scotch Ale.Very nice
attachicon.gif
IMG_0154.JPG
A bit of trivia,I did my trade apprenticeship in Adelaide Hills-around 92/93 Coopers had an old chapel converted into a pub/club.There was a Scotch Ale on tap-from memory it was a bit of a trial,don't know if many other pubs had it-had very different palate then-didn't think much of it then but reckon it would be something I'd rather like if the belhaven was anything to go on.My boss used to love it.
I tried that a few months back, really enjoyed it and will be brewing a Scottish ale in the near future.

Had a couple of these while brewing yesterday

29596673943_dc00c1fd93_z.jpg

Between Little Dove, Hop Flinger and Cold Nights Summer Days its been a fantastic couple of weeks for hop driven local releases!

wokred my way through all the rouge hop ip's a couple times. 4,5,6,7,8. well only had 4 and 5 once each

they are all great . Usually I'm a sucker for the strongest but 6 sits in a pretty good place IMHO

Where did you grab that from Aus Rider? I'm a sucker for a Red IPA and I've seen a few people raving about Bacchus on Beer Snobs lately

tj2204 said:
Those prices are pretty damn reasonable too. Jealous.
Was good to get a chance to try some of those brews. After a couple IIPAs though, the taste buds don't work so good.

The Pirate Life Barbe Noir was really good. Would be great on a cold winter night. Said to be one of the last few kegs of it about the place apparently.

I need to go back and try the Citracado though. They hadn't put it on tap by the time my mouth was done. They have the Stone on tap all month.

I think I like the PL IIPA over the Stone beers. Not that they are bad beers, just personal preference.

I went to buy a few different pirate life's the other night to try, as the pale ale is currently my favourite beer. I ended up walking out with a 6 pack of the pale ale for $27, because they wanted $33 for the IPA and TWELVE DOLLARS per 500ml can of IIPA. Seriously?

BKBrews said:
I went to buy a few different pirate life's the other night to try, as the pale ale is currently my favourite beer. I ended up walking out with a 6 pack of the pale ale for $27, because they wanted $33 for the IPA and TWELVE DOLLARS per 500ml can of IIPA. Seriously?
12 for the IIPA is ok. Usually I see it for 13 at the lower end and up to 15.

33 for the IPA is a couple bucks high.

Wow. That Cantillon Gueze was awesome! So good I forgot to take a picture!

It was bottled last year so was not hugely carbonated. The nose reminded me of a Gose, no obvious Brett or funk. It was quite dry and tart with a hint of sharpness, acetic? Whatever it was added a wonderful complexity. This was simple and restrained and hasn't developed any funk yet, would love to try a 5+ year old bottle to compare.

Might keep my eyes on the next import to Beer Cartel and make some room in my wine fridge to age some along side some of my wines.

The 3 fonteinen I tried last week was 5 years old and quite different. Plenty of Brett funk on the nose and no acetic sharpness that I could notice more creamy and much more highly carbonated.

Love them both, would love to see how they evolve over time.

Uncle dans stepping up again, Ballast point sculpin, big eye, even keel and grunion all available in cans, pineapple sculpin coming soon as well.

Latest posts

Back