Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1474032747.795604.jpg
Trying some local beer while holidaying in port Douglas.
Worst beer eva.
Noticeably worse(/more bland) than VB or carlton draught.
I'm surprised the Queenslanders aren't much more angry if this is their main beer option. No wonder they like NRL so much. I'd want to smash some dude into the ground also, if I had to drink this regularly. Is that why the maroons dominate State of Origin??
I can only assume the blandness is best suited to hot tropical conditions when you just wanna sink some piss on a hot sweaty Friday night.

The disappointment of the beer coincidentally suited watching my team get smashed in AFL.
Though at least the footy had the consolation of watching an awesome opponent win.
There were no winners on the beer front.

technobabble66 said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1474032747.795604.jpg
Trying some local beer while holidaying in port Douglas.
Worst beer eva.
Noticeably worse(/more bland) than VB or carlton draught.
I'm surprised the Queenslanders aren't much more angry if this is their main beer option. No wonder they like NRL so much. I'd want to smash some dude into the ground also, if I had to drink this regularly. Is that why the maroons dominate State of Origin??
I can only assume the blandness is best suited to hot tropical conditions when you just wanna sink some piss on a hot sweaty Friday night.

The disappointment of the beer coincidentally suited watching my team get smashed in AFL.
Though at least the footy had the consolation of watching an awesome opponent win.
There were no winners on the beer front.
Shock!!!!! XXXX Bitter was my Aussie lager of choice before I left qld, I wonder if it's changed. Or maybe your tastebuds are sour from not only losing but being a Hawthorn supporter :p

No XXXX bitter probably worst beer I've ever tasted. Hang on. I tried Brisbane Bitter once. Far worse.
The XXXX off the wood at breaky creek is a different story. Yummm.

@wiggdude, it was tasting bad in the first quarter while we were leading. And def not sour from being a Hawks supporter [emoji6] (not sure why they would be, tho. The threepeat will keep me happy for a while [emoji12] And also to see the dogs play well - my 2nd choice for the premiership).

Def the worst beer I've had in a v v long time.

@LF, the only good thing about it was my brother in law paid for it, so I'm not sure how much it cost.
Rort Douglas is generally a bit pricey, but maybe not as bad as I thought. Though that might be a reflection of how badly we get ripped off here in melbs. Still, was stunned when 4 pizzas cost us $110.

@Mall, Hemmingway's brewery def worth stopping at - esp nice location on the pier.
Be prepared to shell some bucks. Not a big rip off or anything, but def not cheap.
The $15 for a flight of 5 beers is worth it to taste their range. I was surprised to find their Pilsner and dark lager were the best. IPA was also good. Their 2 APAs were average - bittering either too high, or wrong hops causing it to be too harsh for these lighter beers.
I'd def rate their pils, dark lager and IPA (& this from someone who normally finds pils to be underwhelming)

Pretty rarely do I go that adventurous with my purchases but with this weekends Amex promo, I finally decided to try one of the Almanac sours

Almanac tropical platypus
"sour blonde ale is aged in used wine barrels and oak foeders with an array of tropical fruits. We selected barrels with fruit-forward characters, and amplified those notes with the addition of kiwi, mango, lime and passionfruit. We tied the whole blend together with the addition of aromatic Galaxy hops from New Zealand."

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/almanac-tropical-platypus/418910/

At $22 a bottle it's not cheap, but it's definitely tasty

A couple from Plonk last weekend.

Just a little to thin and slightly to much roastyness I thought. Sample size of one however.

DSC_8169_zpsgyempngp.jpg

This was delicious. Complex with hints of toffee and berries and not what I was expecting (Belgian style - ish). Love to do a clone, but the consensus on the ingredients is a bit all over the shop.
Ideas for the yeast range from Koji, Red rice and WLP 570. The bottle had plenty of floaties in there to harvest, but I'm assuming this might be any old thing to bottle condition.
Goes down super smooth for a 7% er. One of those deals where you buy a six pack and before you know it you're loosing count.

DSC_8159_zpsh4tog9tb.jpg

Kiuchi (Hitachino) ages most of their beer in cedar barrels, and frequently uses koji in its beers that use rice. Fantastic brewery. Their Nest Ancient Nipponia is among the more distinctive beers I've had.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475221502.231846.jpg

I know I'm way behind the 8 ball, but fookin ell pirate life IPA is delicious. How can they balance it so well. Bitter, sweet, aromatic, not too thin not too thick. Fluffy head. Man I need a moment...

Not beer but posting it anyway. 8 year old magnum of Tahbilk marsanne that's been aging in my wine fridge. Absolutely divine.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475406220.196391.jpg

Last can of Former Tenant to raise to the sharkies finally winning a premiership. What a game!

The only good thing about this beer is the label.

A very bad example of Mosaic. They would be disappointed.

For comparison I've had Founders Mosaic Promise which is solid aroma and flavour unlike this....

WP_20160930_10_16_33_Pro.jpg

I had a couple of the Bridge Road Little Blings today. 3.4% IPA. Absolutely brilliant for a mid strength. I will put it on the list to clone for sure.

Latest posts

Back