Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work function tonight and the choices are XXXX Gold or Hahn Super Dry
Looks like I'm drinking wine, but only the 1 cos I have to drive :(

sp0rk said:
Work function tonight and the choices are XXXX Gold or Hahn Super Dry
Looks like I'm drinking wine, but only the 1 cos I have to drive :(
FYL[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Just back from a visit to Foghorn for a beer and a bite with a friend,
On the way bumped into a couple of guys from Moo Brew, they a doing an event at the Malt Store tonight. If your looking for something to do in town tonight.
Foghorn also has a beer dinner on - sold out unfortunately.

The new chief at Foghorn is working out well, after a couple of less than satisfactory predecessors, the deviled wings and blue cheese dip were excellent.
Being a big fan of Farmhouse and how good Shaun is at making them went with no 13 Belgio Blond Ale - bloody lovely
Mark
IMG_20160825_162942.jpg

Duvel tripel hop (experimental hop hbc 291) - part of my monthly six pack from international beer collector.
I love regular duvel but the only other tripel hop I've tried wasn't really for me (that one was mosaic).

Well this one is really tasty. Super soft bready notes, just enough supporting bitterness and just a tiny hint of fruity, resinous hop which never overshadows or dominates. Absolutely delicious.

manticle said:
Duvel tripel hop (experimental hop hbc 291) - part of my monthly six pack from international beer collector.
I love regular duvel but the only other tripel hop I've tried wasn't really for me (that one was mosaic).

Well this one is really tasty. Super soft bready notes, just enough supporting bitterness and just a tiny hint of fruity, resinous hop which never overshadows or dominates. Absolutely delicious.
in the specials on his website he has a 6 pack of all triple hop versions rebrewed.

Tried the new hop thief 8 last night.
Sadly not as hoppy as 7, but definitely more sessionable, and still nicer than the lashes.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472196303.216339.jpg

Six String Brewing Company's Celtic Fusion and Moon Dog's Mack Daddy (birthday gifts from Beer Cartel)

Celtic Fusion - I cracked it and decided to drink it from the can. I'm a bit fan of the packaging, comes in a schmick 4-pack with a very smooth label. Manly 500ml cans. On the first whiff there was no mistaking there was coffee in there, and on first sip there was some evidence of a beer in there. Honestly this is like a carbonated espresso. I'm not a black coffee drinker (I love coffee though) but this was completely drinkable. Stout-wise I can't report much. Tastes dark and bitter, but the bitterness comes across likes it's all from the coffee. This is a coffee beer. Coffee. I wouldn't want too many of them, but it's an interesting experience. Celtic? Or Brazilian, Colombian, or Ethiopian? Not sure if I mentioned coffee but it really tastes like coffee.

Moon Dog's Mack Daddy - Righto I'm not sure if there's something wrong with me but this has to be a bad batch. It was so citrusy that it was lemon-sour. It had some melon character about it but was puckering, almost had an apple-like bite. No roast or malt to speak of, which is wrong for a dark beer. I had to tip it, it was very unenjoyable. Anyone else had this? I'm considering returning it.

You just had a moondog so my surprised face is currently on.

Visited the brewery a few years ago. Everything tasted like a cat's arsehole which they disguise with whacky names and fusion flavour marketing.

My surprised face looks a lot like my deadpan face by the way. Real surprise would be if Moon dog had started making consistently decent beer.

I have to agree. I heard tell, so it could be just rumour, that the bottling line they sold on to another brewery was the heart of the problem. Been a couple years, might give them another go, but I've only had one of their beers I liked, out of about twelve.

We drank it at the brewery/garage as they allegedly intended it to taste while they looked at us with a 'how good's that eh?" type expression. If it was wine I could have spat it out more politely.

Moondog I just don't get. I'd feel guilty giving one of their beers to my worst enemy. I'll be honest and admit that I've not tried more than a few, but the few were more than enough to convince me not to try any more. Don't think they were infected, just shit.

But there seems to be a certain bearded, tight trousered brigade that love 'em. I cannot fathom why.

Just, very, very good. From the newish local independent bottollo in Mitcham that has a really good range of local and imported beers, so win, win. Apologies for the sidways photo, but I can't take it again as the glass is empty.

image.jpeg

Nomad Freshie Salt and Pepper Gose. From their label:

Slightly tart. Check.
Coriander. Check.
Salty. Check.

But it has the aroma and taste of a European lager to me, even though they mention it's too fermented. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, it would definitely go down well as a summer thirst quencher and It definitely fits the description of a Gose that I've read. But...

Comparing it to the only other Gose I've had, the Sierra Nevada Otra Vez, it is completely different.

Otra Vez is much more tart to my palate and less salty more sweet. Otra Vez is again to my palate much more obvious as a sour beer. So I'm unsure which is the more accurate to style if I was to attempt a brew.

Anyone more experienced in the style care to push me in the right direction?

Makes sense manticle, it was a gift from mum so the intentions were good. Not sure what to do with the remaining 5 though, honestly I ended up tipping it which I rarely do.
Birthday drinks today, my son suggested I start on the Lakefront Brewery Fixed Gear American Red IPA.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472356512.539217.jpg
Very hazy copper colour but nice white dense head. Strong citrus flavours on the nose, not really any pine. Flavour backs it up with classic US citrus notes and full body without being full-on malty. Quite similar to a pale I have on tap which consists of chinook, Amarillo and Cascade. Absolutely does not taste like a 6.8% beer. Not bad, wouldn't rush back for another.

No pic necessary for this: Crown Golden Ale ($2 from the bargain bin). Smells like a Crownie, tastes like a Crownie. I can't really pick much difference. Maybe it'll taste better if I change into a designer dress shirt, unbutton the collar and hang a tie loosely while sporting my best set of jeans. Could easily drink them all day but wouldn't want to.

manticle said:
You just had a moondog so my surprised face is currently on.

Visited the brewery a few years ago. Everything tasted like a cat's arsehole which they disguise with whacky names and fusion flavour marketing.

My surprised face looks a lot like my deadpan face by the way. Real surprise would be if Moon dog had started making consistently decent beer.
I now have my surprised face on wondering about the poor cat you have been taste testing[emoji15][emoji15][emoji23][emoji23]

TheWiggman said:
No pic necessary for this: Crown Golden Ale ($2 from the bargain bin). Smells like a Crownie, tastes like a Crownie. I can't really pick much difference. Maybe it'll taste better if I change into a designer dress shirt, unbutton the collar and hang a tie loosely while sporting my best set of jeans. Could easily drink them all day but wouldn't want to.
Same as duff, duff dry and duff lite

Duff_lite_%26_dry.png

Lethaldog said:
I now have my surprised face on wondering about the poor cat you have been taste testing[emoji15][emoji15][emoji23][emoji23]
It's a 2 way street. He licks my arsehole, I lick........ ooh look a ufo

Latest posts

Back