Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
Ballast point IPA:

Bought from a supermarket bottleshop. Loads of hop flavour and up front bitterness. Would prefer more in the malt department personally but nothing i'm about to fault.
I thought it had heaps of malt presence. Almost too much for me. It kinda grew on me after a few but im sure the dan murphys treatment did a job on the hops.

I'm not not sure Uncle Dan always give it the love it (or any other beer) deserves but it definitely exhibits the US maltiness that no local IPA has. We don't do it right.

Doesn't mean it should sit in Manticle's pocket, naturally.

Rogue Dead Guy ale. Was disappointed, the supposed toffee notes were not very pronounced and its claim to be well balanced threw me off as its needed more bitterness IMHO.

Not a good first impression of Rogue beers for me :-(

Quiet one today.

Stone - IPA (Tap. Yeah, this brewery still only makes two beers that I rate at all and this isn't one of them)
Mikkeller - Big Worse Worst Worster (Whoa. Super boozy but pretty damned nice if you can hang at the top end of town.)

I may end up cracking some IPAs when done with the Mikkeller. I don't intend to but those 17%ers have a mind of their own.

I think I am all big and shit for drinking 13% IPA, and you just have to shit all over it, don't you Bum.

bum said:
Quiet one today.

Stone - IPA (Tap. Yeah, this brewery still only makes two beers that I rate at all and this isn't one of them)
Mikkeller - Big Worse Worst Worster (Whoa. Super boozy but pretty damned nice if you can hang at the top end of town.)

I may end up cracking some IPAs when done with the Mikkeller. I don't intend to but those 17%ers have a mind of their own.
Is Ruination one of the ones you rate?

PS 17% psssht what? Are you driving or something? tell me when you hit 42%

xxxx.jpg

XXXX "heavy" was until recently a Queensland only brew, the big brother of the ubiquitous Gold. When I was in FNQ a few years ago it was disappearing rapidly on tap, as Lion seemed to be pushing Toohey's New as the "heavy" brew.

Interesting to see it popping up around NSW now, and tallies to boot. Maybe brewed at Lidcombe. I had been concerned back then that heavy was going to become a "heritage" brew like Reschs that they kept going in a few token outlets. However I wouldn't mind betting that after the recent push by CUB that put VB back on top, Lion are putting a bit of firmness back into the old brews.

Surprisingly quaffable as the first drink of the day, clean and a fair bitterness from the Cluster, and far better than the appalling Tooheys New beer-mimicing substance. Wouldn't recommend drinking it after a HB, however B)

feral hop hog stubbie bought from coles.

Have had this on tap many times and enjoyed it but the stubbie was awful. Not sure if coles (other 6 varied beers I bought were all fine) or what but down the sink after two sips.

Just wrong in many ways - like hopped vomit.

Bribie G said:
attachicon.gif
xxxx.jpg

XXXX "heavy" was until recently a Queensland only brew, the big brother of the ubiquitous Gold. When I was in FNQ a few years ago it was disappearing rapidly on tap, as Lion seemed to be pushing Toohey's New as the "heavy" brew.

Interesting to see it popping up around NSW now, and tallies to boot. Maybe brewed at Lidcombe. I had been concerned back then that heavy was going to become a "heritage" brew like Reschs that they kept going in a few token outlets. However I wouldn't mind betting that after the recent push by CUB that put VB back on top, Lion are putting a bit of firmness back into the old brews.

Surprisingly quaffable as the first drink of the day, clean and a fair bitterness from the Cluster, and far better than the appalling Tooheys New beer-mimicing substance. Wouldn't recommend drinking it after a HB, however B)
I really enjoyed the gold in pt Douglas when I was there. I'd rather real ale but fat chance of that becoming available haha. Anyway I found it was quite drinkable and very clean but with enough flavour to be good enough to have a few. I found I could drink a few with zero issues the next day.

Big push down here by xxxx, seems to be in most pubs n clubs.

stillinrehab said:
Is Ruination one of the ones you rate?
A seasonal (one-off?) variant I had in the States a couple years ago. A double dry-hopped version. Was pretty nice and missed their usual rough bittering.

You didn't ask but the other Old Guardian. Haven't had it since the 2010 though.

[EDIT: typo and poor drunctuation]

Had one of these beasts at Vue De Monde last night. Outrageously priced at $55 for a 330ml but an awesome drop and all the more tasty when the boss is paying.

gallery_27971_1032_2204016.jpg

bum said:
A seasonal (one-off?) variant I had in the States a couple years ago. A double dry-hopped version. Was pretty nice and missed their usual rough bittering.

You didn't ask but the other Old Guardian. Haven't had it since the 2010 though.

[EDIT: typo and poor drunctuation]
I had their Ruination and it was not too bad but RuinTen was awesome. It was Double Dry Hopped with a blend of centennial and citra. Good times. Oaked AB is the only other I have enjoyed of theirs

Back on topic I had a 650ml of GF Le Freak and wish they would go back to releasing the stubbies. A 4pk was pretty economical and you don't have to commit to 9% of bomber goodness. Tasty as F**k though.

Also have the Yeasty Boys 2013 PKB remix lined up for later and a new brewery from over here called Panhead. It is run by one of the guys from Tuatara who broke away.

I just made my own mid strength.

Drink half a pint of soda.
Add one half pint of hop hog.
1385608229874.jpg

Thin, but aromatic.

Apologies Brendan V.

Latest posts

Back