Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think these are joining the can range over here shortly so will have go when I see them.

Bizier said:
Bum is getting them from a little local bottlo called Horse's Mouth.
Supermarket down the road, actually.

Tonight's DROP:

Heretic - Evil Cousin (tap): Same as the bottle but way more betterer.

Dog Fish Head India Brown Ale (tap): Possibly the most sessionable dark beer I've ever had. Still roasty in aroma and flavour but just thin enough and dry enough (but not actually thin or dry) to sit on for extended periods. None of their typical oiliness. I recall not being terribly impressed with it in the bottle.

Ballast Point - Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter (tap): Aroma is all US iced coffee. Flavour is upfront coffee with a touch of vanilla, no hops, any bitterness seems like it is roast-/coffee-derived. Every single bit of its 11% is entirely hidden. Not a huge coffee guy but this is a technical masterpiece.

Ballast Point - Sculpin IPA: People who are rating this significantly over Big Eye are having a laugh. Double **** those who rate it over Pliny the Elder. I rate Big Eye as the best AIPA you can (reliably) find in Australia so hold your goddamned tongue for a second. Anyway, it is really nice. Pretty much all stonefruit up front with a touch of sherberty citrus. Would be surprised if the grist was hugely different to Big Eye.

[EDIT: more words = more good]

B/s supermarket, what one?? I'd be lucky to get a s&w pacific ale at my local supermarket bottle shop :s

B/s supermarket, what one?? I'd be lucky to get a s&w pacific ale at my local supermarket bottle shop :s

Reckon you might find he's in the US at the moment.

Righto, should have donned on to that.

I won't tell you guys that I googled "horses mouth bottle shop" then :ph34r:

bum said:
Supermarket down the road, actually.

Tonight's DROP:

Heretic - Evil Cousin (tap): Same as the bottle but way more betterer.

Dog Fish Head India Brown Ale (tap): Possibly the most sessionable dark beer I've ever had. Still roasty in aroma and flavour but just thin enough and dry enough (but not actually thin or dry) to sit on for extended periods. None of their typical oiliness. I recall not being terribly impressed with it in the bottle.

Ballast Point - Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter (tap): Aroma is all US iced coffee. Flavour is upfront coffee with a touch of vanilla, no hops, any bitterness seems like it is roast-/coffee-derived. Every single bit of its 11% is entirely hidden. Not a huge coffee guy but this is a technical masterpiece.

Ballast Point - Sculpin IPA: People who are rating this significantly over Big Eye are having a laugh. Double **** those who rate it over Pliny the Elder. I rate Big Eye as the best AIPA you can (reliably) find in Australia so hold your goddamned tongue for a second. Anyway, it is really nice. Pretty much all stonefruit up front with a touch of sherberty citrus. Would be surprised if the grist was hugely different to Big Eye.

[EDIT: more words = more good]
I had Sculpin and Pliny fresh and Sculpin had more balance. Pliny had a bitterness that took too long before actual flavour came through.

I have only had Big Eye in cans and Bombers so cannot tell how much better it gets fresh. Sculpin takes some beating when not in a bottle (which can be shitty and metallic)
Barrel Aged Armegeddon from Epic is the second best beer I have had on tap. The trouble is it is now blended with regular Armageddon too much and so not enough barrel goodness to notice a difference.

Mmmm. Enjoying a Weihenstephaner hefe weissbier right now. It doesn't matter how many times I drink this (and that's a fair chunk of all the commercial beer I drink), it still gives me the "wow" every time. Such an awesome beer. I fear I will spend my entire brewing career chasing something this good...and that's just not gonna happen :p .

bum said:
You need to get it fresh on tap to make a comparison. It might just not be for you, but I found it delicious AND I drink the absolute shit out of the Big Eye that they bring in to Aus. it is my go to beverage here.

Perhaps the bottle I got was a little long in the tooth but it was very hop-forward so I'm not inclined to think so - I just sniffed the bottle and it still smells pretty hoppy the next morning. Was a really nice beer. Bottle to bottle I'm just not finding it amazingly better than a fresh Big Eye. But I think Big Eye is the best import we can count on finding so that opinion shouldn't be seen as a criticism.

In other news, this morning is gonna be a slow one, I think...

Going to try bottling into champagne bottles this arvo, and while doing so, I'm going to crack a few uk ales. Been too long since I had some.

St. Peter's ruby red ale.

Norton old hooky ( I like this one )

Fullers ESB

I'll try my challenger bitter brewed with the mangrove jacks burton ale yeast as well. Been in the keg for a few weeks now, so time to re evaluate. I quite liked it on first impression, just waiting for the yeast to drop a little.

Had the st peters red the other day. a delicious balance of malt with a slight crisp bitterness.

I think imma start just listing stuffs (unless I really wish to generate some hate).

Lost Coast - Downtown Brown (tap)
Drakes - IPA
De Molen - Bed and Breakfast
Haand Briggeriert - Dark Force (pretty amazeballs)

St. Peter's ruby red is sensational IMHO. Super uk malty toffee caramel and smooth as, yum!

When in burleigh!!
Looking forward to the hassle hop!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385016659.046872.jpg

Prob should add I went up to the brewery and hassled some staff member to come down and serve me. Got a sixer of the hef, pale ale, and the my wife's bitter. 4 pack of IPA, 2 bottles of the duke lager and 1 tally of the hassle hop!

They had a brew on when I went in. Nice smell of mashed grain. Not sure if they were mashing or had already finished, but smelt really nice.

Hopefully going along to their Friday night do with a mate.

angus_grant said:
When in burleigh!!
Looking forward to the hassle hop!!

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385016659.046872.jpg

Prob should add I went up to the brewery and hassled some staff member to come down and serve me. Got a sixer of the hef, pale ale, and the my wife's bitter. 4 pack of IPA, 2 bottles of the duke lager and 1 tally of the hassle hop!

They had a brew on when I went in. Nice smell of mashed grain. Not sure if they were mashing or had already finished, but smelt really nice.

Hopefully going along to their Friday night do with a mate.
I think Hassel Hop was their Melbourne SpecTapular beer last time, from hazy memory?

I know I enjoyed it...

Back